cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sap HA installation with Sybase Ase 15.7 (Clustered Environment)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Guru's,

I need advice and suggestions on installation for Sap HA systems on production servers with sybase .

System Specs:

Database :Sybase ASE 15.7

EHP6

I have referred the note 1650511 and getting started with Sybase Database  but its just basic info .I need to know how the clustering will be done with Sybase Ase 15.7 and is it possible??

Appreciate your suggestions

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

Please refer Snote - 1680045

Warm Regards

Murali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Jan/Bala,

Please could you help me with the following doubts ,however i have raised the message to SAP but still not responded.

My concerns are below mentioned

Datafiles & log files assignment while installation

According to the HW partition size for production servers we have

assigned 3 data files of 250 gb each in different drives on a server

The existing export we are trying to take is from development  system

where we have  upgraded the stack and components to latest level so

we are planning to take the export copy of for database instance and

the database itself is Syabse Ase 15.7.And at this phase screen

according to the screen by default the system ask to assign 102 gb for

datafiles and log files 1gb Minimum , so in that case can we no t

assign more log file size .However we have not started the installation

and we will expereince the same as we have done on Develeopment and

quality system which is central sap system and we need to confirm we if

can do for production HA system installation.

2.On the other hand , If we are doing fresh HA installation ,it will

ask for 90 GB datafile and 10 G by default to assign and in this how we

going to assign and split in 3 different drives which is of 150 GB

each.

3.Getting confused in assigning the CI DI ,ERS ,ASCS on node 1 and node 2.

4.Is it good decision to do fresh HA installation on production server and lateron upgrade the stack level or does it matter if do system copy as it will save the time .

Appreciate your help.

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Asim,

1. Datafiles & log files assignment while installation According to the HW partition size for production servers we have assigned 3 data files of 250 gb each in different drives on a server 

The existing export we are trying to take is from development  system where we have  upgraded the stack and compo.nents to latest level so we are planning to take the export copy of for database instance and

the database itself is Syabse Ase 15.7.And at this phase screen according to the screen by default the system ask to assign 102 gb for datafiles and log files 1gb Minimum , so in that case can we no t

assign more log file size .However we have not started the installation and we will expereince the same as we have done on Develeopment and quality system which is central sap system and we need to confirm we if can do for production HA system installation

Yes, you may assign more space in advance to datafiles and log file. What the screen shows is the minimum required space to successfully complete the import.

2.On the other hand , If we are doing fresh HA installation ,it will ask for 90 GB datafile and 10 G by default to assign and in this how we going to assign and split in 3 different drives which is of 150 GB

each.

Your Development system has been patched to latest level. Hence there is change in database size in development as compared to fresh HA setup where no patches have been applied. You may add 3 datafiles in each of these drives and assign the size which you prefer. Ensure its more than 10GB.

3.Getting confused in assigning the CI DI ,ERS ,ASCS on node 1 and node 2.

You may follow this simple approach

Node 1: DB + ERS + CI

Node 2: ASCS + DI

4.Is it good decision to do fresh HA installation on production server and lateron upgrade the stack level or does it matter if do system copy as it will save the time .

There is no issue in going with system copy approach as it will save time. If you are not comfortable with system copy method and do not have good command on DB, I shall suggest you to go with fresh installation and then apply patches. This way you are sure there is no junk coming to your production . In system copy , In case your source system has some junk data, the same might get transferred to production.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Deepak,

Thanks for the reply.Just need clarification in some area's which you mentioned above.

2. 90gb of minimum assignement of datafiles should be divided in to 3 datafiles of 30gb in each or different drives and about log files we have assigned a separate drive so i think it should not be a problem.

3.The simple approach you gave i believe the CI & DI wil be on local disk and rest on shared disk .

4.I was also at the same stage as you have given your inputs ,as junk data might get transfered.

As earlier you said that by SWPM will take care of database clsutering so you mean to say no need to follow Sap Note 1651052 .If yes then when it should be done before or after the installation.

Appreciate your help and your inputs can help many others.

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Asim

2. 90gb of minimum assignement of datafiles should be divided in to 3 datafiles of 30gb in each or different drives and about log files we have assigned a separate drive so i think it should not be a problem.

Yes. The design looks good.

3.The simple approach you gave i believe the CI & DI wil be on local disk and rest on shared disk .

You can keep this on local disk. But I shall suggest you to put on SAN storage but do not include this into cluster configuration.

4.I was also at the same stage as you have given your inputs ,as junk data might get transfered.

Yes. In Production environment I shall suggest you to go with fresh setup and then patch it.

As earlier you said that by SWPM will take care of database clsutering so you mean to say no need to follow Sap Note 1651052 .If yes then when it should be done before or after the installation.

You will need to follow the SAP note for guidance on Setup. SWPM will provide the sequence in which each of the components ( ASCS, DB, ERS, CI and DI) needs to be installed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Deepak,

Thanks for the reply.

Sap Note 1651052 has to be followed while doing the setup using SWPM thats what you mean to say.

Thanks

Irfan

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Asim,

SAP note 1651053 is obselete now. You may still read this note for reference . It contains the approach on installation.

But you may refer another SAP Note 1650511 - SYB: High Availability Offerings with Sybase ASE. This is specific to Sybase ASE.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak ,

The sap note 1651053 displays Firefox 7: Action Menu is replaced by ellipsis, in cell

Please can you confirm the note number

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Asim

So sorry. The correct note number is 1651052 ( This can be used as a reference for your installation)

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak Kori

I have to do same cluster instalation,

my requirment is ECC ehp6 wiht abap only stack.

so please let me know how to start for only abap based system in cluster

Regards

Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Asim/D Kumar,

Sorry for the reopening the post ,I am also starting the HA installtion.

Hope you have completed the installtion.

If possible kindly share me the screen shot document with me its very helpful for me.

Please repply me I will share the my mail id

Thanks

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aravin,

Did u get any clue to install the HA with sybase,

Hi Jan,

I'm not sure how to start the sap installation with HA sybase ase 15.7 as in oracle we use OFS but in sybase how is the procedure .There is no enough knowledge base where it describes.As with sybase the database gets install while installation of sap.Please can you guide me as its on production servers

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Asim,

Please refer link http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/0040e969-b4a1-2f10-998d-e0eeec6fb...

This has some inputs on HA options available with Sybase ASE.

Ideally the HA setup for SAP remains the same as before. You just need to discuss with hardware vendor about the solution before you start the setup.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Deepak,

Thanks for the response.But the hardware vendor it will be only at OS level,how about the database level.We need to install some service in sybase also i believe as in oracle we install OFS. The other thing is that with sybase the database gets installed while you install and then later you install the Console for adminsitrations.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

Please do OS level cluster through hardware vendor , then install SAP through Software provisional tool ( instead of master DVD) , SAP with Sybase cluster will be done through this tool automatically.

Recently we did one of our customer and working fine .

Warm Regards

Murali IBM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Murali,

I have a same problem with Clustered Environment installation with sybase ASE 15.7.

I need some clarity about cluster environment sap installation.  Basically we have two nodes for clustering. My requirement is Sybase database also installs in node1   and CI installs in node2. Please suggest.

Question is: How many clusters to be needed?

Thanks

Saumya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jan,

Thanks for the reply. Agree with Bala as the sybase cluster with Sap HA is different.Appreciate if you or any one  could help out on this task.

JanStallkamp
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Asim.

Maybe you want to have a look at http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-1008. There is also some information available in the SAP installation guides.

Regards,

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

I'm in the same need, I did review the above document but it's on SQL Server HA.

I'm looking for any guides for SAP HA/DR on running Sybase ASE/Solaris 11.

Thank you,

Aravin