SAP for Consumer Products Discussions
Share ideas and solve challenges on branding, personalization, and supply chain optimization with fellow SAP users in consumer products. Join a discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the advantage of using sales deals / promotions functionality in SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

In our organization we are currently not using sales deals / sales promotions functionality.  However, our teams are adding manual  (ad-hoc) discounts quite often directly into the sales orders.  I'm wondering if 'sales deals' functionality could be an alternative way to manage ad-hoc discounts?  I'm not seeing that much discussion about sales deals in this forum so I'm wondering if it is a functionality that is not used that widely? 

Thank you for your contributions.

Henrik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

This can help in analytic/ reporting.

Thanks

Dilip Sadh

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

This can help in analytic/ reporting.

Thanks

Dilip Sadh

0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply.  I was also wondering if there are some advantages from a controlling point of view i.e. having condition records set up vs. manually applying discounts to the sales order.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is all about business management and not SAP.  Though manual discounts are dangerous as it might be found out later on that the actual sales + all costs = no profit!!

I gues you could use sales deals as you have mentioned, but it's more common to use it for a promotion activity or an event.

Regards

Waza

0 Kudos

More details here :http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_06/helpdata/en/93/743401546011d1a7020000e829fd11/content.htm?framese...

Is there a pattern in the process of discounting - based on theaccount/product or a promotion? - or is it purely ad-hoc in nature and deal-specific.

If there is a pattern, you can link your condition record to a promotion/deal. However, if it is totalyy ad-hoc, it may make sense to add a step of authorization in the pricing procedure to ensure some kind of accountability.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Promotions and Deals are based on budget / Marketing allocation. Seems like in your business context there all lot of "ad hoc" discount given. I think one needs to understand (and challenge); why are so many ad hoc discount given. May be analyze ad hoc discounts given in past for six months or year and if you can see there is some pattern emerging and if you can make discount rules around customer / groups, Materials / Groups , or around Sales Office / Group / Geographical like parametrs. Also, this probably is a big business change so you to drive the same with help of business. Manual discount(s) should be avoided by all means. Lastly if there is no resort, and still manual changes are high may be some development for approval process or better reporting/audit should be developed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Henrik,

In my company, we are using both sales deal and promotion for analysis and budget control purpose. 

Advantages:

1. Discount condition type with maximun amount can be set up in sales deal. In sales order creation, the discount will be auto captured until the accumulate amount hit the maximum amount.

2. Can do analysis by promotion or sales deal.

Disadvantages:

1. There are some bugs in 4.6 version. Not sure whether there are some update in ECC6.

Regards

Sunny CHEN