SAP for Mill Products Discussions
Explore conversations about production optimization, resource utilization, and quality control using SAP in the mill products industry. Join in or start your own!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effects of activation of DIMP in ECC6 EHP5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have an SAP ECC6 system with EHP5 which has been in use for several years and was recently upgraded from 4.6C.

This system has been in use for several years and now business drivers require activation of BFS DIMP.

I have searched OSS, these forums and internet at large for a discrete list of what is changed upon activation.

Anything that can get us started in the right direction in terms of the analysis.

Perhaps a discrete list of affected processes, programs, transactions, tables etc ...

We fully realize thet the exact impact will be specific to our system but we are looking for a starting point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ricky

5 REPLIES 5

Haags
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

What features do I get with the Industry Extension Mill Products ?

You could check at SAP Help: Discrete Industries and Mill Products

In short, the industry extension provides:

• better usability and stronger capabiliteis when dealing with variant configuration and batch classification - like through fast data
    entries for attributes in item lists, special document lists with attributes, or the ability to smartly default attributes from predecessor documents
  • stronger capabilities when using ERP together with APO, like the ability to handle trim orders
  • stronger production planning & execution capabilities if you don’t use APO - like through order combination
  • a whole list of features supporting length-based proccesses - especially important for the cable & wire industry

Can I activate DIMP in a productive system ?

Actually it is possible, and quite common to "add" Mill Products functionality to ERP. This does not require a new client or installation.

How do i activate ?

In customizing you activate the Business Function "DIMP_SDUD". See SAP Help.

Points to consider

• Test carefully, as activating DIMP changes the program code and UI in many places.
  • In general, all standard business processes work as in a ERP ECC system
  • Customer modified code or screens may be affected by the Mill Product enhancements.
  • Test in a sandbox ! You will not be able easily to de-activate DIMP afterwards. There is no standard procedure.
  • Consider carefully whether you need the industry extension. Most mill processes and the core Mill Products data model are already well supported without activation of the industry extension. Industry extensions are in general mutually exclusive. This may limit your options to activate other industry extension afterwards.
  • Check the relevant notes:
    SAP note 953362 - Industry Solution Mill Products: SAP ECC Industry Extension DIMP 6.0. Note that DIMP has less languages than core ERP.
    SAP note 865969 on release restrictions in general e.g. not using certain mill order types with APO.
    SAP note 933963 on restrictions between ECC DIMP 6.0 and the different extension sets.
    SAP note 874473 for information about the installation/activation of ECC-DIMP 6.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Can you please add some information to your previous comment? 

We use the core ECC BF and would like to use BOS without activating the entire IS_DIMP; i.e. only the component DIMP_SDUD.

However when I try to do so, I get few errors pointing that I also have to activate:

PSCD; PSCD_Settings; ISHERCM_MAIN and ISHERCM_Settings.

However, there is no indications as a prerequisite in the DIMP_SDUD or in any of the other listed components. 

1. Is this a necessity, or there is other way to activate DIMP_SDUD?

2. If I still have to activate the other components, are they as well do not require a specific licences?

3. Should I expect any restrictions?

Kind regards

Hadas C.

elisabeth_straub
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Ricky,

we are now in the same situation like you more than one year ago:

We have an SAP ECC6 system with EHP6 which has been in use for many years and now we want to activate DIMP_SDUD. I have also searched the internet to find a list of effects, but nothing is there. Now I found your question in here and I am keen to know, if you activated the function in the meantime. What is your experience on it?

Have you created a list of affected processes, programs, transactions, tables etc ... ?

I am looking forward to hearing from you 🙂

Lisa

0 Kudos

Hi Lisa,

In that client's case, we were succesful in activating DIMP_SDUD as well as several other business functions.

It is imperative that you execute your activation in Client 000 and harvest and analyze the logs to confirm what happened.  Any intersections with customer changes to SAP code will cause the activation to stop since the program cannot be modified because of a changed origin.  This is quite similar to a Support Pack condition.  However, we found several areas where configuration was impacted and this guided our testing which was similar in nature to what you would do following a support pack.

Please note that most of the new configuration used to drive the new processes will be in Client 000 only and will need to be copied over to your development client.  Total run time for activation in development for activation was just over two hours.  In QA and PRD it was much quicker because we used a transport to migrate the activation through the the development path.

The cross system compare tool and Excel will become your best friends 🙂

In our case we did 3 full runs in the sandbox before we developed and understood our recipe.

Hope this helps encourage you to proceed.  Do not hesitate if you have more specific questions.

Ricky

0 Kudos

Hi Ricky,

thank you very much for your immediate answer!

We will discuss internally if, how and when we will proceed with the DIMP_SDUD activation. Your answer will help us to start this discussion. I might come back with some more questions, when we start the project.

Thanks and best regards

Lisa