cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between EHS and EHSM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I wanted to know if there is difference between EHS and EHSM.I am new to this module and I would be happy if some of you can share documents related to this topic so that I could hav a better understanding.

Thanks & Regards,

Rini

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

HI Rini,

EHS is the old and existing solution from SAP. It deals with

Product safety

Dangerous Gooda Management

Hazardous substance Management

Industrial Hygiene and Safety

Occupational Health

Waste Management

and

Basic Data and Tools(to support the above sub modules)

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_ehs27b/helpdata/en/A5/3ADD4643BE11D188FE0000E8322F96/frameset.htm

EHSM (SAP EHS Management), is new solution from SAP. This is SAP Netweaver portal based solution. EHSM deals with .....

Incident Management

Risk Assessment

Product Compliance

http://scn.sap.com/community/ehs-management/blog/2012/12/13/enhancing-sap-ehsm-overview

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_ehsext30/helpdata/en/5b/22b8d6606b4d32b8af9283901d3bdc/frameset.htm

http://ecohub.sap.com/api/resource/4e3a6f1c93aadee75f662908

http://help.sap.com/ehs-comp

In both we have Pros. and Cons.

As EHSM is new solution from SAP, hence it holds additional functionality compare to SAP EHS.

EHSM is not part of standard SAP ECC system. seperate licence required.

Regards

kamal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks kamal..........

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Rini

only a very small add on to the very good explanations of Kamal:

SAP IHS classic (Industrial Hygiene and Safety) will get only bug fixes by SAP in the future. There will be no new functionality. The new and only tool which will be enhanced etc. in the future will be EHSM actually in version 3.0.

You will find some threads regarding EHSM here as well dealing with "migration" from EHS IHS classic to EHSM.

So if you need to start a new projetc in the area of EHS IHS then you should take a look on EHSM. To a certain extent (to my knowlegde) you will need SAP EHS in the background in any case. Internally EHSM does have different structures in comparison to EHS IHS

C.B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Christopher......for the addntnl info.

Former Member
0 Kudos

To clarify, since 2010, the only license a new customer can buy is the EHSM license. This license gives the customer the right to use the older functionality as well as the newer functionality. From an architecture perspective, there is a difference where these "reside". The component extension to EHSM is an add-on to ERP and requires ECC 6.05 (EhP5) as a minimum. (Works on EhP6 as well.) So, for someone who is new to the space, keep this in mind as you learn about the different functionalities.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mary

only a small remark:

According to my knowlege the story with the license is different. EHS IHS classic is part of SAP ECC 6.0. The license model of SAP is not "straightforward". To use EHSM you are right: you need a new license. I belive this is the story:

a.) if you are using EH&S you still have a license and you need only to get the new license so hat you can use EHSM

b.) if you are not using EH&S and you would like to use EHSM you need EH&S core to do so. In this case your explanation "This license gives the customer the right to use the older functionality as well as the newer functionality" is according to my knowlegde correct

In any case. License model of SAP is not easy to understand nor transparent.

C.B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am the Solution Manager for this product and am happy to try to clear up any confusion regarding licenses. The EHS functionality has always been a separate license from "core ERP" or the "ERP Suite". Prior to 2010, it was sold as "SAP Environment, Health & Safety". This older license included the functionality that you are referring to as EHS IHS (Industrial Hygiene and Safety) classic as well as other functionality. 

a) If you have the EH&S license, you can obviously continue to use that existing functionality without a license upgrade. If you want to use the newer functionality, there is a conversion process where you get credit for your previous purchase. Your sales team will calculate this conversion.

b) You do not have to implement EH&S core in order to use the functionality that is now available in the component extension 1.0/2.0/3.0 for EHS Management - at least for the new incident management and the new risk assessment applications. You do need ECC 6.05 (EhP5) to run the component extension for EHSM, but it is possible to run this in a "side by side" configuration if your ERP is on an older EhP. If you are using the product compliance application, you may need some of the functionality of the EH&S core. In other words, it depends on what applications you want to use.

Regards,

Mary

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mary

I appreciate your explanations. It is not easy to get such clear statements from SAP.

I will may be create an own thread regarding EHSM. Reason behind that:

If I take a look here:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_ehsext30/helpdata/en/5b/22b8d6606b4d32b8af9283901d3bdc/frameset.htm

and here:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_ehsext30/helpdata/en/23/b20f43c013494b8ed74603dec667a4/content.htm

my impression is (was):

you can use SAP EHS Management as the basis of the process in SAP EHSM. Because of the information as shown there I have had the strong expression that you can "map" EHS SAP Management data to EHSM etc. and therefore I assumed that you need to use e.g. phrase management to use EHSM etc. I have had a small dicussion with other people and now I have the impression that EHSM does not use phrases etc. but other objects to maintain data. So the concepts are quite different in comparison to SAP EHS Management

C.B.

PS: In any case: may be you (Mary) could please explain your term "side by side" configuration (do you mean "downgrade"?)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Regarding what is meant by Side by side

Please see the Master Guide http://help.sap.com/ehs-comp

section 2.6.2.  Add-On Installed on ERP System (Operated Side-by-Side to an Earlier

ERP System)

To enable existing customers that run a productive ERP system on an earlier release (earlier

than 605) to benefit from the functions of SAP EHS Management, the customer can use a

side-by-side scenario. In this scenario, the customer additionally installs and operates an

ERP 605 system with this add-on. This 605 system (with the add-on) is dedicated to running

SAP EHS Management only. All other business processes still run in the earlier ERP system.

There is also a nice diagram. Also, in the same link, you will find a migration guide that explains differences.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mary,

I have a follow up question on the licensing... I was curious about the Adobe interactive forms for the recording of incidents, for example. How does the license work for that? Is Adobe forms included in the license for EHSM or is licensed separately?

Many thanks,

Irene

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not an expert on the Adobe licensing structure so please do not take this as a guarantee, but my understanding is that if you own the EHSM license, you have the right to use the Adobe forms that are delivered and you can make very minor changes such as replacing the SAP logo with your own company's logo. If you want to make major changes or if you want to create new forms, you need the appropriate Adobe license. I think they are sold in bundles of 50, so for example, you can create 50 new forms before you need to buy another unit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks, Mary.

Irene

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Does the license still form part of the SAP ERP stack as EHS does or is it now part of Business Objects ie do you have to be registered as an Business Objects VAR to sell it or is it still part of the of the Business All in One VAR contract?

Regards

Conrad

Former Member
0 Kudos

As I tried to explain below, the architecture question and the license question need to be kept separate. I don't exactly know what you mean by "does the license still form part of the SAP ERP stack". There has always been a separate license from ERP. The license is not part of Business Objects.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mary,

We are working on configuring a solution for waste disposals using the original EH&S solution that requires us to purchase more licenses for the users that would create a waste disposal document.

Do we need to buy EH&Sm licenses or can we buy more of the original EH&S licenses?

Any guidance you could provide would be much appreciated.

John

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear John

the topic of "license" is discussed intensive in the discussion of document: . As discussed: the situation is client specific may be different. My assumption would be:

if you have used EHS classic you have a EHS classic licenses; this should include (in my opinion) the waste part as well. If you are now starting to use EHSM it can happen that you need to extend your license. According to discussion in document. If you are "newbie" in EHS and EHSM then EHSM license contains both parts from license point of view. But I am pretty sure that Mary will try to help you.

C.B.

PS: the "license" story is quite "complex" in most cases (according to my knowledge) the number of end user pe rmodule is only one factor in license fee.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John - It is best to reach out to your account executive. There are so many variations on what customers have licensed, that I cannot provide an answer on SCN. I am sure a reasonable solution can be found.

Answers (0)