cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Instances of Crystal Reports 2011

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our company has just recently upgraded to Crystal Report 2011 from 2008.  I am trying to find a way I can open a saved Crystal report from a folder or a hyperlink in Excel and have a new report tab open in the existing Crystal Report window I have open.  Right now when I do this, the report opens in a new instance of Crystal Report.  I sometimes have at least 5 reports open and comparing them to each other but I don't each of these in seperate windows.  I have searched for a setting but can't seem to find one.  The two agents in the chat support session at SAP recommended coming here and posting.  Does anyone have an any help?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am on Crystal Reports 2008 SP6 and am experiencing the same...

I've checked the registry entries under HKCR\CrystalReports\shell\Open\ except I have another entry for command: 8GO+%q=bMAJ0e_p{6iZScrw>IWZ^CAp&e@DM$D`aZ`y3 /dde

I can't seem to find the key mentioned by Ludek in HKLM\Software\Classes\CrystalReportsLauncher...I don't even have a key close to that.

Anything else I can check or try?

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cindy,

What happens when you already have an instance of CR designer running and you try to open another report by double-clicking it?

I just tried and it opens the report in the same instance in a new tab.

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

it opens a new new instance of Crystal Reports.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am wondering if it is a registry setting. I get the same behavior as Abhilash. I believe the registry for this should look like the screenshot below:

Is this the same for you?

- Ludek

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

I dont have a CrystalReports under classes, I do have a CrystalReports launcher.  Is this it?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hmm - that's kind of bothersome...

Interestingly, when I 1st tried to launch an rpt file by double clicking on it, the file had an association to the CrystalReports launcher. So, yes I used that. However now all subsequent reports open in the CR designer directly.

The key to the launcher should be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CrystalReportsLauncher\shell\Open\command

And the deafault value should be:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\/Crystal Reports Common\CRLauncher.exe" "%1"

Is that what you are seeing?

Also, let me know the exact version of CR 2011 you have. Please go to the Help menu in the designer and then Help About... What version is reported here?

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am seeing: "C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\/Crystal Reports Common\CRStartup.exe" "%1"

Version is 14.0.5.882 RTM

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So, the difference is that you do not have the Crystal Reports registry folder(?). Can you create is, with the subfolder as in the screenshot and then create a key as in the screenshot?

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will talk to my IT guru's here.  I can view my registry but not make changes.  Thanks!