cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use SAP LT for targeting a non-HANA System

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi There,

we want to create an application that replicating the SAP Data Source to another 3rd Party Database. As we stumbled upon the technology that introduced in the SAP LT Replication Server, we really keen to try this. However, we can't find a documentation regarding this issues. Is there a possibility to use the SLT to replicate data from SAP and targeting into another DB-System (non-Hana) ?

The question comes up, because the interface for accessing other Non-SAP Source is basically already there (however it is intended to load the data), so theoritically we can use the same interface to transfer the delta data with event based triggered.

Does anyone have an experience on this case ? It would be nice, if you can suggest a better approaches.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

tobias_koebler
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Ferry,

your are right, from a technical perspective this approach is possible, but we did not implement any Userinterface or E2E process so far. This topic is on our roadmap, but I cannot give any outlook by when it is ready.

If this is a hot topic for you and your landscape, we can discuss offline your scenario and needs, to see which option we have to help you. Just send me a mail.

Best,

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tobias,

thank you for your reply

I want to accelerate the replication of the Data on the SAP ERP by CDC. There are already a legacy system based on Oracle. I need to download the delta data, triggered by the change in the ERP system. Therefore the SAP LT Replication Server seems so tempting.

I have also looked at the DXC, Sybase Replication, and CDC for RFC in ABAP. However, I can't find the simple solution like offered by SLT RS. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Or maybe you have any other suggestion and information that I've been overlooked.

Thanks again,

Ferry

schfer_christian
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ferry,

maybe you can use Business Objects Data Service for your solution.

Best,

Christian

schfer_christian
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello ,

do you have an update for me related to SLT and non-HANA replication?

We want to replicate some ERP Tables from Oracle to MSSQL for example.

thx for your Help

Christian

tobias_koebler
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

the unrestriced support for non-HANA targets  integrated as an E2E solution is on the roadmap and planned for next year Q1. So far we can only over such an approach on project level.

Do you want to replicate from a SAP to a SAP or non-SAP target?

Best,

Tobias

schfer_christian
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello 

tobias_koebler
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

to get your setup: You want to replicate from a SAP source via RFC over SLT to an other DB that do not run with a NW stack.

This setup is so far not integrated as an E2E solution, we have such scenarios on our roadmap - an planned earlierst Q1/2014. But we can think about such a scenario as project based solution. In gerneral the connection source->SLT is available but the connection to a non-HANA/BW target is not implemented.

If you would like to talk in more details - just send me a email and we can discuss your use case and evaluate if it is possible to implement a project based solution offline.

Best,

Tobias

former_member216854
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Tobias,

Can you provide an update on this "planned ... Q1/2014" implementation?  Is this available yet, is it still planned, timeline, etc.?

We have just migrated our BW System to HANA this past weekend.  In our previous BW System on Oracle, we had a few BW Tables replicating using Oracle Database level Fast Refresh Materialized Views.  These Mat. Views refreshed every 1 hr.  These tables were replicated to two other Oracle Databases which use this data to support some Legacy Applications.

We are basically looking at possible solutions for implementing refreshing data from our new BW HANA Database to these Oracle Databases.

Note: The receiving Oracle Databases are not SAP Databases, they are Oracle Standard or Enterprise Databases supporting non-SAP Applications.

Thanks for any update/information you can provide.

Matt

vatsal_gandhi
Explorer
0 Kudos

Tobias,

We are looking for SAP ABAP to SAP ABAP SLT based replication. Is it still planned for Q1/2014 released? How can we get Project based access?

tobias_koebler
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

HI,

SAP ABAP to SAP ABAP is planned for End of January / Mid February.

Earlier we could deliver it as project based solution.

Best,

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tobias, we are facing the same issue as discussed: "We want to replicate from a SAP source via RFC over SLT to another DB that do not run with a NW stack."  However, instead of multiple DBs, we would just like to connect SAP data to GreenPlum.  Can this be done by using data services adapter APIs?  If so, could you name a few APIs that would be needed and a high level overview of how it can be leveraged? Thanks Rico

tobias_koebler
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Rico,

in general the replication to non-ABAP targets is not part of the product, but could be achieved for all NW supported DB's in an individual product. If the target is not a NW supported DB wen can think about putting DS into place. With SLT and DS 4.2 SP1 ther eis an integration that allows to esablish a connection between these two products and fill a target that is supported by DS.

Best,

Tobias

former_member182277
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Tobias,

We had a same requirement for connecting HANA to non-Sap through SLT.

Could you please let me know if that is possible.

Could you please share any document wrt that.

Thanks.

Neha Singla

Saritha_K
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Neha,

A lot of discussions have covered this topic.

SLT does support replication from non sap systems to HANA.

Please refer to below blog as a reference -

http://scn.sap.com/community/replication-server/blog/2014/02/19/step-by-step-procedure-for-data-repl...

Hope this helps you!!

Regards,

Saritha K

former_member182277
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Saritha,

My question is how to replicate data from SAP HANA to Non-SAP through SLT.

thanks.

Neha Singla

former_member252769
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Neha,

Did you solved the SAP HANA to Non-SAP through SLT?

If so, please can you send me the links or share some documnets.

Cheers

Brillion

former_member182277
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

As far as i came to know that it is possible to replicate data from HANA to Non-HANA DB.

But unfortunately, no documents are available with me.

Thanks.

Neha Singla

Former Member
0 Kudos

its k,Thankyou for your response

former_member252769
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Neha

0 Kudos

Hi Rico,

We have the same scenario where we are migrating the data from SAP to Greenplum via SLT.

Is it possible to move the data to HANA and then moving it to Greenplum(we're thinking about doing it)?

Or else could you tell how did you achieve this?

Regards,

Ankit

0 Kudos

Hi Tobias,

Could you tell how can we establish a connection b/w SAP and non NW db??

Regards,

Ankit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tobias,  I am trying to load a table from ECC to MSSQL and SLT is creating the target table in SQL successfully, but not writing data into the table and I can see an additional view in SQL for the target table.

Trying to debug the whole process, says a communication error, but the target tables are created w/o data.

errors:

aborted due to SYSTEM FAILURE

A table is unknown or does not exist.

Message no. DMC_RT_MSG041

Diagnosis

During execution of an RFC an system- or communicationerror has occured.

System Response

In most situations the RFC is interrupted.

Procedure

Analyse the reasons for this error by means of the error message and the system logs.

Execution of program /1CADMC/OLC_100000000001433 failed, return code 3 (Error writing the data)

thanks again for your help!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you help me with any documentation that you followed to come to this point. I am also curious to learn about this scenario. Thanks. And if you were successful please let us know how did you achieve it.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anybody point to the current documentation or statement from SAP which target systems are supported?

(in transaction LTRC there is a drop-down-box for target database. Unfortunately the drop-down-box is grayed out. I can choose e.g. DB2 but the selected value switches back to HANA instantly)

Using DB-Connection

former_member252769
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Thorsten,

You should have open new discussion.

Anyway, check if you have proper license for using non-sap targets.

If so and target is greyed out then check KBA 2285078.

You have to change entry in table DMC_RT_PARAMS:

Change the following entry:

PARAM_NAME = 'REPL_ENABLE_OTHER_TARGET'

PARAM_VALUE = 'X'

then Save.

Then create new configuration and select target.

Hope this resolve your issue.

Regards

BJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks you Brillion!

With your solution I can now select any value from the drop-down-box.

Are all selectable targets supported or are some still possible on a project basis?

Specifically we want to replicate a DB2 to another DB2 and simulaneously to SAP BW

former_member252769
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Perfect !

All selectable DB are supported, for SAP BW you have to RFC connection.

Please close the thread as solved.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi S J,  I am trying to load a table from ECC to MSSQL and SLT is creating the target table in SQL successfully, but not writing data into the table and I can see an additional view in SQL for the target table.

Trying to debug the whole process, says a communication error, but the target tables are created w/o data.

errors:

aborted due to SYSTEM FAILURE

A table is unknown or does not exist.

Message no. DMC_RT_MSG041

Diagnosis

During execution of an RFC an system- or communicationerror has occured.

System Response

In most situations the RFC is interrupted.

Procedure

Analyse the reasons for this error by means of the error message and the system logs.

Execution of program /1CADMC/OLC_100000000001433 failed, return code 3 (Error writing the data)

I haven't seen an option to select a target DB in LTRS, its is not in Table Settings

thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos

What kind of issues are you having?  Can you give some more details please.

Pawel

former_member182537
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pawel.

Please see link below where i gave  all details-

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3806972

I guess main issue is that we dont have TIMESTAMP data type in SAP. If you can have a look once.

thanks

Nilesh

0 Kudos

To add a timestamp, you can simply go to LTRS, and in Rule Assignment, in line of code, type this code, assuming I want to add the timestamp into a field named ztime.

Field ztime should be type Char, length 15. You can add your field also in LTRS, in table settings.

Concatenate sy-datum sy-timlo into e_ztime.

Try that and it should work.

0 Kudos

Also make sure your rule type is field-related and status is released.

former_member182537
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Yes Pawel  we are able to send time stamp as varchar to oracle , however our requirement is to have it in oracle data type time stamp format which will make search easier when we fire query in oracle.

so we need to get oracle. Time stamp format inserted to oracle into date or time stamp data type, the main issue is sap does not have time stamp data type.appended time stamp field was defined as char in table settings and we are using mapping value tab to change char to time stamp data type in oracle.

YYour thoughts .

thanks

former_member182537
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi Pawel.

can you confirm

thanks

0 Kudos

We never tried writing to Oracle in a timestamp field type.  We use the varchar type in Oracle to write timestamps.  But you're probably right that there is a format mismatch if you try it. 

Have a look at this post, it mentions a few things about timestamps in abap:

convert Date to Timestamp | SCN

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am doing a similar analysis.  Essentially trying to understand how SLT replication to a non-SAP database could work.  My understanding is that Data Services would be more of a batch scenario, essentially this would not support real time replication as SLT does.  Ferry, did you have any luck figuring out how to do this via SLT?

Dan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We use NON SAP oracle  for replication and it works fine.

One thing to be considered,  there are some information case sensitive for oracle...make sure      schema name you enter in LTR connection should be in CAPS for oracle non sap source.

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Raj,

could you send me/us details of how you achieved the SLT based data replication from SAP source system into "native" Oracle DB. This would be very interesting to me as well.

Kind regards

Werner

vatsal_gandhi
Explorer
0 Kudos

Raj,

Can you send me the details how to achieved it. We are looking for SLT replication between ABAP systems.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj, Can you please share the details of how you achieved the replication SAP into a Non SAP Oracle ? Did you use Golden Gate or DataGuard or something like that?

vatsal_gandhi
Explorer
0 Kudos

Were you able to acheieve SAP to Oracle DB replication? Can you please share me the steps?

0 Kudos

Same question.  Was it possible to use SLT to replicate to an Oracle DB?

tobias_koebler
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Yes, with SP08 you need the SLT stand-alone license. Afterwards ask SAP to get it activated. Support is guranteed for Oracle and MSSQL.

Best, Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tobias

Where will I be able to find more information? We would like to replicate into an Oracle database but I can not find any information about this (i.e. how to, pre-requisites, limitations etc)

0 Kudos

It's exactly what we did, i.e. replicate from SAP BW to an external Oracle database.  It works very well.  Only issues we had was with user authorizations, but it was an internal issue (not SAP related).  Don't hesitate if you have any questions.

Prashanth2
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

We are facing the replicating the data to Oracle Database( Target DB).  Below is the error found in trace file SM50

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** ERROR => Error -2 in stmt_execute() from oci_execute_stmt(), orpc=0

[dbsloci.c    18307]

C  {root-id=0050569834521EE58DA44FC7A6ED6F1B}_{conn-id=55B7B7978B184062E1000000AC149EDF}_1

C  *** ERROR => ORA--0002 occurred at SQL stmt (parse error offset=0)

[dbsloci.c    18308]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In SM21 we are getting Database Error -2 INS access to table /ILT/0000

SQL> SELECT GRANTED_ROLE FROM DBA_ROLE_PRIVS WHERE GRANTEE='BODSDATA';

GRANTED_ROLE

------------------------------

CONNECT

DBA

RESOURCE

former_member182537
Active Participant
0 Kudos

HI, we are also replicating from sap to oracle via slt and been having issues when we try to send char in sap to oracle time stamp format,..

any idea on this.

thanks

0 Kudos

What kind of issues are you having?  Can you give some more details please.

Pawel