cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWCE 7.2 change Database server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all NWCE experts, our NWCE 7.2 is on Win and running Oracle 11.2. And we have the application data on another database server. So we have two databases for this system. We want to move the current NWCE DB to another server. This DB is very small in size mainly for NWCE data only. So my question is since it is a purely Java system, is that all we need to do is to use the configtool to change the where the database is located and that's it. And does anyone know the places where we need to change.

Or better do a db backup and reinstall NWCE, choose the new DB location from start and restall the database after that, would be the cleaniness way.

Thanks,

Kev

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just want to clarify that the NWCE will stay in the same server, and we only want to change the NWCE DB to another server. Is it something easy to do with config tool?

Kev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Though I've not done this before, I think it is not that straight forward. I would recommend the system copy (for DB and Central Instance) option provided in the SAPInst to keep it simple and easy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bala, thanks for the information. Yes i thought that would be the case. But the Central instance is going to be stay, we only want to point the NWCE DB to another server. Would the system copy (for DB and Central instance) option copy both NWCE and DB to another server? Or we still can choose only the DB from SAPInst.

Thanks,

Kev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Section 5 of this CE 7.1 document should give you the required details. Not sure if 7.2 specific document is available in SAP service market place.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I actually question if system copy is for our case. For our case, it is only the DB host name changes, it is not the central instance host name.

When performing a System copy all software units in the source system are copied to the target system. This means that none of the software units in the target system can be excluded from the system copy, nor can you select software units.

So if we use system copy, the whole system will be duplicated to another server for our case, right.

I think we just need to use config tool to point to the new DB server name for our case.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kev,

Please read the section 5 in the document that I had mentioned in my earlier post. It gives a very clear indication on how meet your requirement - export just DB to a new DB for a distributed setup without changing central host.

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bala, I got it. Thank you so much. Have a nice day.

Kev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bala, how about we also need to rename the server? For our development system, the name was not followed with our standard. Now we want to rename it. I know Java side it imbedded the hostname everywhere. So is it the best approach is to just back up the database, export the Java schema and then just perform a fresh install again. And the restore the database and Java schema. Or we can ignore the Java schema part since it is a refresh install anyway.

Thanks,

Kev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please refer section 5.4 in the document mentioned in this thread earlier. You'll find the details related to renaming.

Bala

Answers (0)