Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relation of SAP EHS with SAP EHSM

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear EHS community

based discussion on thread: http://scn.sap.com/thread/3300367

I would like to clarify some topics on my side. That means: I would like to understand better what is needed to use SAP EHSM as a prequisite and which scenarios of use are supported by SAP.

Recent version of SAP EHSM is described here:

http://help.sap.com/ehs-comp30

Main topics to consider in this thread are:

Locations

Chemicals

If i check now

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_ehsext30/helpdata/en/5b/22b8d6606b4d32b8af9283901d3bdc/frameset.htm

there is the option mentioned to link SAP EHS to SAP EHSM using either R_EHFND_FILL_CHM_BY_EHS_SUBST or R_EHFND_FILL_REGL_BY_EHS_SUBST

Now if i go to lower level then I find this explanation:

"the system requires that the technical keys of Customizing entries in the add-on system (for example, for color, form, and so on) are identical to the phrase keys and Customizing entry keys"

Here now i have many questions to better understand the use of EHSM and if or if not is is possible to use data from SAP EHS in a robust way in SAP EHSM.

Many companies use SAP EHS core for generation of safety data sheets and safety data distribution and dangerous goods topics etc.. To do so a basic is to create and maintain REAL_SUBs etc. Now because of legal changes etc. the data on these objects will change. Especially data will change which is needed in the contest of "risk assessment" and "incient handling" (like OEL values etc.)

Because of this normally you would change data in EH&S core to support your normal EHS processes and now my cleas assumtion was in the past by using the above mentioned reports you can use this data in EHMS process. Therefore I assumed that these report are scheduled on a daily basis to transfer changes from EHS to EHSM.

Now if I read the explanation of SAP I have doubts that this understanding is correct as there is the need to map e.g. "phrase keys" (refer above) to customizing entries. Because of the legal changes as referred above phrases need to change as well. Therefore my understanding would be: you can not schedule the two reports. You first need to check your EHSM customizing etc. and after that you can populate to my understanding EHSM with the new data from EHS core. Then you will execute the reports manually.

First question:

Is this understanding correct? that means: I can not schedule the reports automatic; i need always to check if my mapping is correct and need not to be changed etc.

Second question:

Assuming now that EHSM has now the new data: is there any type of change management in EHSM? Now you have new data and at least you need to check your risk assessments (to my understanding) per location in EHSM; Is there an optoin to generate a "work list" in EHSM regarding locations there you now should check your risk assessment?

Third question
Or is the story complete different? that means a company using EHS and EHSM parallel need to maintain tweice the data independent on data in EHSM?

I would appeciate feedback from the communty

Thanks in advance

C.B.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

The below are my feedback on your questions,

1. Is this understanding correct? that means: I can not schedule the reports automatic; i need always to check if my mapping is correct and need not to be changed etc.

Your understanding on EHS core as far as is correct but things are going wrong when you talk the same with new EHSM solution. I mean you can replicate the MSDS data reports automatic with relevant chemical object from EHS to EHSM using;

R_EHFND_FILL_CHM_BY_EHS_SUBST or R_EHFND_FILL_REGL_BY_EHS_SUBST

2.Assuming now that EHSM has now the new data: is there any type of change management in EHSM? Now you have new data and at least you need to check your risk assessments (to my understanding) per location in EHSM; Is there an optoin to generate a "work list" in EHSM regarding locations there you now should check your risk assessment?

Yes, there is an 'Change Management' process in EHSM. However, you can generate 'work list' for your risk assessment on 'Location / Hazard' wise.

3.Or is the story complete different? that means a company using EHS and EHSM parallel need to maintain tweice the data independent on data in EHSM?

It is an bit detailed, quiet awesome and comprehensive solution when compare old one. In fact, EHSM is supporting to do the standard data migration from old one hence there is no data duplication.

Thanks

Mahes

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mahesh

thanks for your helpful  explanation; but I would like to take the chance to go deeper here so that I really get the right picture regarding the correlation of EHS and EHSM.

The transfer of data from EHS to EHSM is started by using a hitlist in EHS. In the links as mentioned above no indication is given, that (like in ALE) changes in EHS are passed on to EHMS automatic: Using a bad example I would like to understand this process much better.

Lets try this (bad but simple example)

A REAL_SUB does have color blue. Using hit list data is transferred to EHSM. Now by whatever reason color is changed. Now If I understand the rpocess correct the EHS user must once again use the functionality as mentioned in the link and the data should be stored/transferred to the Chemical object in EHSM.

Question:

Is this change of color direct available on Chemical object or (as with ALE) you need to process that so that the data is then stored on "Chemical" object level and if so I assume once again this is a manual step?

In this FORUM the topic of data migration has been mentioned often. I still have some doubt in the sense that on the long term if a company use EHS and EHSM parallel that the "same" data need to be maintained twice (in above bad example: the color must be entered in EHS and must be entered in EHSM).

Therefore a further question from my side

As you may be know: in EHS environment you have the option to upload regulatory data (using OCC etc.). Now in EHSM you clearly need (especially for riss assessment) regulatory data. Is there an option to upload that like in EHS?

Thanks in advance

C.B.

PS: I found two OSS note regarding the topic:

1715898 and 1743588. May be helpful for others as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi CB,

I will do my explanation very simply to understand better that how it works in EHSM.

The transfer of data that never happens from EHS to EHSM either by using hit list or ALE functions. This automate transfer would happen by using reports:

R_

R_EHFND_FILL_CHM_BY_EHS_SUBST (as a source for the chemical agent)

R_EHFND_FILL_REGL_BY_EHS_SUBST (as a source for the listed substance and its OEL in the regulatory list)

Bad example on automate transfer,

In EHSM for exact OEL business functions, we would be referring the chemical object & attaching its MSDS output that was created & stored using WWI in EHS. Whenever, you make any changes in the phrases or properties of particular chemical object which will be replicated by automate using:

R_EHFND_FILL_CHM_BY_EHS_SUBST or R_EHFND_FILL_REGL_BY_EHS_SUBST

Also, the documents assigned to the substance will automatically be attached to the chemical object.

I hope that above points might have cleared some pages to you.

Question:

Is this change of color direct available on Chemical object or (as with ALE) you need to process that so that the data is then stored on "Chemical" object level and if so I assume once again this is a manual step?

It is very simple that you are not creating any chemical information's in EHSM. I mean to maintain like  phrase, phrase set, specification database, property tree, Real & Listed substances, MSDS reports is not required but you are referring all this info's from EHS to EHSM using your chemical objects level. So, whatever information's is stored, changed and passed will be happen on Chemical object level using EHSM reports.

In this FORUM the topic of data migration has been mentioned often. I still have some doubt in the sense that on the long term if a company use EHS and EHSM parallel that the "same" data need to be maintained twice (in above bad example: the color must be entered in EHS and must be entered in EHSM).

You never create any more duplicate data in EHSM rather than referring the chemical information's that what you have maintained in EHS database.

Therefore a further question from my side

As you may be know: in EHS environment you have the option to upload regulatory data (using OCC etc.). Now in EHSM you clearly need (especially for riss assessment) regulatory data. Is there an option to upload that like in EHS?

Again the point is referring.....not upload anything!

Thanks

Mahes

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mahes

many thanks to your help (I really appreciate it). It get closer to a good understanding how it works, But your very good explanations gives rise to a new question:

Regarding your topic:

in EHSM for exact OEL business functions, we would be referring the chemical object & attaching its MSDS output that was created & stored using WWI in EHS.

Can you explain more the term "attaching its MSDS output"? does that mean the WWI report is transferred to EHSM or does that mean only the data which is part of the WWI report is transferred?

I would appreciate once again to get your help,

C.B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi CB,

the term "attaching its MSDS output"?

Usually in 'Product Safety' the MSDS output of the Substance will be stored in DMS (whether its from WWI or Vendor MSDS upload as PDF or Word format) therefore the documents (output of PDF or word MSDS) assigned to the substance will automatically be attached to the chemical object. This automate to EHSM will happen using:

R_EHFND_FILL_CHM_BY_EHS_SUBST (as a source for the chemical agent)

R_EHFND_FILL_REGL_BY_EHS_SUBST (as a source for the listed substance and its OEL in the regulatory list)

I hope that the above explanation would give an clear idea.

Thanks

Mahes

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mahesh

thanks for your feed back. May be I will start a new thread regarding this to understand how the chemical object and the MSDS are related to each other.

Thanks for your very helpful feedback

C.B.

Answers (0)