5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2013 3:41 PM by Michael Ohlendorf RSS

Restrict access to value in field value list in MDG

Michael Ohlendorf
Currently Being Moderated

Dear all,

I would like to restrict access to a particular value in the value list selection of a particular field in MDG for a particular user group (users, role or organization). What is the easiest way to achieve this (best via configuration) ? Could I use BRF+ for this purpose ? If yes, how ?

Exact requirement in MDG-S 6.1 Vendor UI is as follows: There are two values in the account group value list (one external number account group and one internal number account group). Requestors should only be able to select the internal number account group. Maybe the external number account group could be hidden as well for the requestors user group. In the final step of the WF Approvers are changing the internal account group selection to the external account group selection.

Regards,

Michael

• Re: Restrict access to value in field value list in MDG
    Michael Theis

Hi Michael,

there is a how-to guide that describes a similar requirement: https://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-31886. The guide might help you to implement your requirement accordingly. Configuration / Customizing only won't be sufficient.

Best regards

Michael

Michael Ohlendorf

Hello Michael,

OK, thanks for your statement and thank you very much for pointing me to this guide.

My idea was going more into the direction to define a BRF+ validation which is returning an error if a "Requestor" user (or a user which is member of the Requestors organization or a user which is having a "Requestor" role) is selecting the external number account group not actually allowing him to make this selection and telling him that he has to select the internal number account group.

I do not know if this idea can be realized with BRF+ but it might already be sufficient as a solution. I thought it must be possible to add data model field validations in BRF+ by using similar user decision tables as they can be found in the rule based workflow configuration of MDG. Maybe you can give me a hint if the use of user decision tables is possible in BRF+ with data model field validations ?  

Reason behind this requirement is that "Requestors" do not know which final external number the vendor they request should get. Only the "Approvers" (from the Finance Department) know the final external number because they are maintaining some vendor id lists.

Regards,

Mike

Michael Theis

Hi Mike,

sorry, I'm not the expert for BRF+.

Still from a usability perspective your solution is not the best one - the requestor would ask himself "why is this value selectable if I'm not allowed to use it at all?"...

Best regards

Michael

Michael Ohlendorf

Hello Michael,

yes this is probably true but for this purpose we can not spend much time. I created a simple BRF+ validation which is throwing a Warning message if external account group LIEF is selected saying that only Activators should select it. Similar warning is appearing now if internal account group TEMP is selected (saying that only Requestors and Approvers should select it). Of course this is far from being ideal but maybe we can live with this workaround for the time being.

I briefly checked as well if such a validation could easily be attached to a Change Request since this would solve our problem as well but obviously without any additional programming you can not attach validations to Change Request Steps if I am not mistaken....

Regards,

Mike

Michael Ohlendorf

Hello Michael,

in the following How-To guide: "How To... Master Data Governance for Material: Check and Derivation Rules in Chapter 5.2 Example: Using variables in Derivation Rules (like Workflow Step) it is explained how to derive values or messages dependent on a workflow step. Unfortunately, most screenshots and explanations in this chapter only seem to be valid for EhP5. The corresponding EhP6 explanations in chapter 5.2.1.2 "EhP6: Set the values for the variables" are rather poor an without screenshots. Could you or someone else please provide some screenshots for chapter 5.2.1.2 ? Or could you at least tell if the corresponding explanations provided for EhP5 are still working in MDGS 6.1 ?

For us best solution approach would be if we could set the account group to internal numbering TEMP for particular CR Steps and the set it to LIEF external numbering for other CR steps and then on top add a few additional CR step dependen validations. I believe this is a better solution approach currently then defining filters for users since users/user groups can change.

Regards,

Michael

Actions