cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports on a domain, DB server is not

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am getting the dreaded ORA 12154 - TNS could not resolve the connect identifier blah blah. Here's the scenario;

The DB server is on a WORKGROUP, the workstation running Crystal Reports XI is on a DOMAIN. ALSO, the workstation is running WINDOWS7-64 bit.

DB server is running Oracle 10G, and I have installed the ORACLE CLIENT 32-bit 10G on the workstation that I want CR to run on (the 64-bit WIN7).

I CAN CONNECT using the Oracle Client configuration tools.

I CAN SET UP AN ODBC connection using ODBCAD32 in the SYSWOW64 folder in Windows.

All connections seem to be functioning, yet I still get this error when trying to establish the connection in Crystal Reports.

Here is my TNSNAMES:

# tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_MedX\network\admin\tnsnames.ora

# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

SPECTRA =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS_LIST =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 172.128.32.25)(PORT = 1521))

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVICE_NAME = SPECTRA)

)

)

If I make any change to TNSNames - i.e. change the server IP to the server DNS name, it fails. As long as I keep THIS configuration, it works from Client 10G and from ODBCAD, but not Crystal Reports.

Why won't Crystal Reports connect?

Greg Ski in Jersey

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Greg,

You can refer to the following SAP Knowledge Base Article for the error observed:

1204916 - Error: "ORA-12154" when connecting to Oracle from a Windows 64-bit platform

The Note has the following information:

Sympton:

In BusinessObjects Enterprise XI Release 2, when connecting to an Oracle database from a Windows 64-bit platform, the following error message appears:

"ORA-12154".

Cause:

The error message occurs because Enterprise is installed in a directory similar to "<installation directory>:\Program Files (x86)\...". Oracle cannot process parentheses in the path.

Resolution:

To resolve the error message, install BusinessObjects in a directory without parentheses in the path.

Alternately, apply an Oracle patch for this issue. The following patches have been released on Windows:

Windows 32-bit

• 9.2.0.7.0 Patch 6: Apply Patch 4928723 or later
  • 10.2.0.1.0 Patch 4: Apply Patch 4923768 or later
  • 10.2.0.2.0 Patch 5: Apply Patch 5383042 or later
  • 10.2.0.3.0: Apply Patch 5337014 or later

Windows 64-bit AMD64 and INTEL EM64T

• 10.2.0.1.0 Patch 4: Apply Patch 4923787 or later
  • 10.2.0.2.0 Patch 5: Apply Patch 5388871 or later
  • 10.2.0.3.0: Apply Patch 5337014 or later

If possible, use a version of the Oracle software that contains the fix for Bug 3807408.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Renu Gajwani

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Greg,

I see that CR is installed on a 64-bit machine. Have you also installed the 64-bit client drivers for Oracle? And is the 32-bit client in the same HOME as the 64-bit?

I also remember of an Oracle issue, especially with the 10g drivers, that it cannot communicate with applications that are installed in a folder that has brackets in its path. For e.g: C:\Program Files (x86)\

This is an Oracle issue and can be resolved by upgrading to Patch 6 or higher for the Oracle 10g client.

At the same time, you can also try upgrading the CR designer to CR XI R2 SP6.

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Abhilash

I was under the impression that I had to install EITHER the 32-bit or the 64-bit client, not both. Also, I was under the impression that Crystal Reports IX DID NOT SUPPORT client-64 and that I HAD to install 32-bit.

Are these basic assumptions incorrect?

Greg

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You're right:

a) I thought you had both the 32-bit and 64-bit HOMES in there. That's fine we just need the 32-bit.

b) CR does NOT support a 64-bit client even now, so again you just need the 32-bit drivers.

Did you check if upgrading the client drivers resolved the issue?

-Abhilash