Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Career switch from Pharma Sales to SAP SD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm a MBA Marketing guy with 10+years of pharma sales experience. I started my career as Medical Representative and currently working as ASM. I have decided to go for SAP SD certification training and examination from Genovate Bangalore from next month.
Honestly speaking i'm switching to SAP because i had some unmet dreams which can only be fulfilled by IT sector like an opportunity to go and work in abroad also.
Also, i'm unable to take care of my 3 years young daughter because of extensive travelling of about 12-15 days every month. she is growing up and i'm missing those moments to see and care for her,and many a times i feel guilty because of this.
I had gone through the SAP SD content and study material last year and developed a interest for it. Believe me i'm 100% committed to make my career in SAP and in IT.
I'll be resigning from my current role and going for bangalore for training.
Borrowed funds also for the training because i want to give my career a new direction and dimension. My family is also supporting me in my decision regarding career switch.
Need your kind advice, guidance, motivation and best wishes.

Regards

9 REPLIES 9

PhaniKalvagunta
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm a MBA Marketing guy with 10+years of pharma sales experience. I started my career as Medical Representative and currently working as ASM. I have decided to go for SAP SD certification training and examination from Genovate Bangalore from next month.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm about shifting your career to SAP, I should caution you that it is not an easy thing to do.You should be able to sustain yourself without a job until you get a break in SAP.I know many certified consultants who did not get a break.You can check this link http://scn.sap.com/community/career-center/blog/2012/12/27/painful-struggle-of-sap-fresher

Honestly speaking i'm switching to SAP because i had some unmet dreams which can only be fulfilled by IT sector like an opportunity to go and work in abroad also.

Not sure that every consultant will get a chance to work abroad.You may or may not get it.

Also, i'm unable to take care of my 3 years young daughter because of extensive travelling of about 12-15 days every month. she is growing up and i'm missing those moments to see and care for her,and many a times i feel guilty because of this.

You should also know that even after you get into SAP, you may still miss your family.You may need to work in some other city for months together if you are deputed there.

I had gone through the SAP SD content and study material last year and developed a interest for it. Believe me i'm 100% committed to make my career in SAP and in IT.

Good to know that.

I'll be resigning from my current role and going for bangalore for training.

Don't do that.Try to learn SAP in your spare time and once you are through try to get into a role of end user in your present or any other organization.Then try to become a consultant.

Borrowed funds also for the training because i want to give my career a new direction and dimension. My family is also supporting me in my decision regarding career switch.

Also think of a situation where you don't get a break.If you can sustain even in that situation, then only borrow money.

Finally you should have enormous patience to get a break into SAP.If you are willing to face those hardships, you will certainly get a wonderful career in SAP.All the best.

Regards

Phani Prasad

0 Kudos

Thanks Phani, for all the insights. As i said i'm now 100% committed for SAP career. Will be going ahead from next month.

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'll be resigning from my current role and going for bangalore for training

If you are a bachelor, then blindly I would recommend you to go ahead with this decision but in your case, you have 3 years old wonderful kid and you should not take risk. 

i'm unable to take care of my 3 years young daughter because of extensive travell

Even in SAP world also, you may need to travel extensively.  It could be domestic or abroad and therefore, even if you become SAP consultant, you may have to sacrifice your personal life to some extent.

have decided to go for SAP SD certification training and examination from Genovate Bangalore

If you are in Bangalore currently, then no problem.  On the other hand, if you reside outside Bangalore and just for certification purpose, if you are planning to do, then I would not recommend this.  Check in your local area itself and try to learn as a part timer without leaving your current job.

motivation and best wishes

Though I am honestly willing to wish you but at the sametime being you a family man, I am afraid of your decision.  My sincere advice is you have to put that decision on HOLD !!!

G. Lakshmipathi

0 Kudos

Thanks Lakshmipathi, for all your guidance. But as i said now decided to move on...

0 Kudos

Hi Pankaj,

As Phani and Laksmi has mentioned, it is not an easy path to get into SAP world. You have to be very careful while making the decisions. Though you are 100% committed, there are external factors which would influence the same. What you would have heard is correct, that being in SAP world provides you better and more opportunities to fulfill your dreams. But you would not have heard of the difficulties one face to get into the SAP world from similar situations like you. The market reality is tough to digest.

So I would suggest you not to resign from the current job. Being in the job, you can try learning and switch to SAP world when possible. Please don't think that we are discouraging you.

Wish you all the best to fulfill your dreams.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Leon

0 Kudos

Thanks Leon, for all your best wishes...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Appreciate your passion towards SAP.  But as others already mentioned, I would recommed you to read few blogs/articles before taking a final decision.

Regards, Vinod

0 Kudos

Thanks Vinod, i had read all the articles. But you'll agree life is a journey so decided to move on...

0 Kudos

Hi Pankaj Nayak,

With M.Pharmacy background, I have 7 years of work experience in the business department of a medical research company. Similar to you, I'm planning for a career shift to SAP (SD).

After almost 2 years, your experience-based advice is YES or NO for SAP?