Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Question

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear All

I just want to know that if some user asks how to attach a document in some SD document e.g Sale order or Delivery order, Is it BASIC Question or not? What is the definition of basic question here in SCN. Please give your comments.

Thank$

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

+1 to Stephen's response.

If you've done some research already - mention it. We can't read minds, so if you don't want to get an RTFM answer, then show your effort. Or don't get all offended if you don't do that...

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jelena Perfiljeva wrote:

+1 to Stephen's response.

If you've done some research already - mention it. We can't read minds, so if you don't want to get an RTFM answer, then show your effort. Or don't get all offended if you don't do that...

This exactly. The most annoying thing when trying to help somebody is "force" out information of him to corner the problem; it's like pulling teeth and it can be avoided so very easily.

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

former_member186746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

In the end it is a very subjective thing, my definition of basic is  any question that can be answered through minimal effort?

That includes questions about the most exotic abap key-words or customizing. If they can be answered by pressing F1 on the key-word or by reading the documentation in SPRO then in my opinion it is a basic question.

Cheers, Rob

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That is true Rob Dielemans

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Moazzam,

Shall we conclude it as 'Before Asking, Search In Community' ??

Regards,

ntn

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes it is. Search asking before here and if you can get answer by searching then that is a basic question.

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Of course not.

In my opinion, there is no definition for BASIC question. Some times a common functionality of SAP is considered as BASIC but that might not be true for a newbie, or for some one who has never used it. User Exits may be basic for a programmer, but not necessarily to a functional. MRP would be basic thing for PP guy, but not to PS.

That's why I thought to conclude it in that way, just for keeping the mood lighter

Cheers,

ntn

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ntn

I was asking from SCN point of view and for this I think basic question is that which you can solve easily by yourself by just putting some efforts in Google and SCN search.

Generally you are right that something can be basic for someone but not for others but this discussion is from SCN basic questions logic.

Thank you for your contribution.

thank$

former_member190778
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear I wanted to quote something here that basic question doesn't has any characteristics but what matters is that how much learning u get through it. but off course yes user should first search the forms to post something on it but if that user couldn't find anything then is that is even a basic question but user should post and the moderators shouldn't reject it and they should consider that if someone is learning from it then they should give that thread go ahead So yes u're right at your side and i personally believe that content matters either it is basic or not! Thanks for your words.

Best Regards,

Suhaib Bin Aziz

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Suhaib

SCN is knowledge bank and we should keep it clean and useful for us and all newbies. If similar question is being asked in different texts, words or subject then we shouldn't encourage that. It will bring a lot of thread in google or SCN search. This is the reason I always report abuse whenever I see any basic question or where I feel user can get answer by searching in Google.

Thank$

former_member190778
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes you're right, apart from this i also consider my self in newbies . we should search the forms before at our best. thanks for your response. I always consider this thing and search at my bestbefore posting anything on SCN.

Best Regards,

Suhaib Bin Aziz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Awesome blog sir.

I really like all your blogs and the way you think   ,I too true believer of GOD.

I would like to tell you a story.

There was a saint in a river side village , suddenly one day because of flood slowly the water started to coming into village so people are moving to safe places and they asked him and he said no i won’t come  god will come to save me and he started praying.

second time when the water drowned all houses a man came to help him on boat but he refused and reached top of house and started praying.

for the third time when government rescue team people came to save him he refused  and he died .

when he went to heaven he questioned god why he didn't come to save him? 

Then GOD  replied i came to save you for three times in different ways.

So   in my view God can’t come every time to help us so he created these many Brothers and sisters around us.

But i have seen people who prays for hours and hours but they don’t like to find even a second to help fellow beings . 

So   I think along with  praying  lips we should have  helping hands also    like the person in your blog

World's most generous person I have ever seen.

I apologies if some word or sentence has hurt you.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you Jay Arya for your story and appriciation. This thread was not related to this and you could comment on that blog too but still I am thankful that you shared your point of view and story. You are right that God doesn't come to help in person but he always send his poeple, followers. Whatever we get is blessings of God but we get from different sources. I am glad that you are also a strong believer.

Thank$

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

While I am grateful that people here have diverse cultures and interests, I believe that God (religion) and politics have no place here on SCN ....not even in the coffee corner.  I do not like to censure conversation but I am very mindful that such conversations can polarize people and draw them apart rather than bridging cultures.

So please, let's leave God out of the coffee corner for goodness sake

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

So please, let's leave God out of the coffee corner for goodness sake

I didn't like these words and wasn't expecting these from a very senior member of SCN. There is another discussion on this topic in below link where you can see how politely moderators have explained and shared their views and before your this post I had admitted and posted their that I won't share anything like that in future.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3453477#

Thank$

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Moazzam,

I have been thinking about this question.

I believe that I am a person who uses questioning, as a "main" tool in understanding things.

I donot want to use "Basic or Advanced" adjectives to describe / judge questions.

I agree with the point of putting effort before and during asking something.

Side comment: Basic or Advanced is subjective.

E.g.

Something very basic in MM, could be unknown or even "difficult to understand" for an SD consultant or a beginner.

I would say, if you have researched and still not got a reasonable answer, then ask - by all means.

Answering or not answering is the option of others.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear TW

I totally agree with you. May be something is BASIC for us but very advanced and difficult to understand for some ABAP or MM guy. But point is if an ABAP or MM guy asks on SD forum about error message "No pricing procedure could be determine" then what we should do? He didn't even bothered to hit this error in Google atleast once.

I asked this question here just to make this clear that we can try to Google things with different key terms before posting any question. I believe that a person who don't know how to Google things, can not be a good consultant. May be other people don't agree with me on this but this is what I believe.

Thank$

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In opinion, if someone is well experienced or trained . Then for them every other query can be basic query.

Anyways, I like to refer you to one of the interesting discussion. Which I was part of and was replied by vetern contributors on SCN. You can good through their views which indicates,

What is the definition of basic question here in SCN

: Post locked & points unassigned

Best Wishes, JP

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sir

Thanks for your attention. I have studied the links you which you provided and came to know a few new things. These are the discussions when you were not a moderator. Am I right? Since you are a moderator now so I need your comments on following links.

Isn't it a basic question? In my opinion user can easily find on google how to make attachment in SD documents.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3313128

And also about this link. OP is beginner and he usually ask basic questions but in this example he was not clear with condition exclusion so I just explained it. Is it wrong?

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3305291

And last one.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3302529

What is the difference in last two links??

Waiting for your feedback.

Thank$

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3313128

If search with search term " Add attachment to outbound delivery ". Do you get as result?

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3305291

Its more basic interview question. Clearly lack of good training or understanding. And was reported abuse being basic.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3302529

It is more enhancing standard capability of SAP. And not standard query.

Also, hope you understand, it is impossible to track each and every thread posted. If someone reported abuse a thread with valid reason. After review the context of the discussion, Moderator can take necessary action. Therefore, if you anytime come across any current discussion that is one and should be lock. Please hit report abuse button and justify with comments.

How long one person can be a beginner? FYI, the OP Guestify in those thread. No other that person you regard as beginner. Mind you, "discussion should not be taken as alternative to good training."

Best Wishes, JP

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sir

You are right. If we search with search term "Add attachment to outbound delivery" we don't find anything except the link I have provided above but if we search with search term "Add attachment to sales documents in sap" then we find following link along with many others. And I think when a user searches on google he can try at least with different key words.

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/ERPLO/Attachments+to+Sales+documents

For rest two links I am very much clear and just want one more clarification that what is meaning of "discussion should not be taken as alternative to good training"? Apart from nature of question whether it was basic or not what we did was almost same. You had explained the things with steps in numbering too. I just put some screen shots to show the field. What is the difference there? Only screen shots or something else? FYI, OP was the same in both discussions.

Thank$

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You would agree, case to case choice of search terms differs. I agree apart from SAP Help, one should also refer SAP Wiki, before they put up their queries as discussion.

One thing I like to clear,

discussion should not be taken as alternative to good training

this statement is for OP, not for contributors. In this discussion Stephen already explained, what is expected out of OP.

I hope that clarifies.

Best Wishes, JP

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sir

Thanks for your inputs. I would like to tell the readers that always search with different key fields. Anyhow it was new thing for me which you have mentioned in your earlier posts.

Thank$

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

That you might be able to search and find your answer (i.e. already asked and answered, or describe in documentation).

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Jason

Thanks for your response. So if only this is the definition of basic question then If i ask on SCN "How to login in SAP" It will be basic question or not? I am asking this because I have searched on SCN and didn't find any link where it is discussed.

In my opinion there is one addition in definition of basic question that if a user asks such question which is very common and general and every SAP beginner consultant knows it, then it is also a basic question.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank$

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A basic question is something that could be answered through a simple search of SCN, or SAP Help.  In addition it would also cover basic foundational knowledge relevant to that area.  If we were to look at ABAP it might how do you create an ABAP program?  The idea is that your question should be an issue where you can't find the answer through normal means including getting basic training on the subject at hand.

That being said it is perfectly acceptable to ask for clarification on a topic if you can show that you have done your homework.  Great example would be that you read the SAP Help on doing something and performed a search and still don't know how to do the action after reading that and need some clarification then ask the question, but show your research!

This also applies if you are stuck trying to perform the steps in an existing thread and get stuck, go ahead and ask the a question for clarification, but reference the thread.  Those type of questions are fine as they help clarify older solutions and sometimes uncover more information on the topic.  As my favorite saying goes you will get what you give, so the more effort you put into researching your problem and providing information for someone to answer will generate a better response back.  Don't be afraid to ask and yes your example was a basic qustion.

Take care,

Stephen

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mr. Stephan

Thanks a lot for making it clear. This is the right and complete definition of basic question. You observation is hundred percent right that without doing our home work (Study on SAP Help or other forums) we should not post any question. Thanks for sharing your views.

Thank$

Former Member
0 Kudos

Basic link farming is the first corollary of basic questions.

On the 1st day of basic questions, the others do your search for you.

On the 2nd day of basic questions, the speculative answers appear to me.

3 link farms, 4 incorrect answers, 5 copy and pastes and an unrelated "hi" question in the middle of the tree.

Then the brown nosing starts...

6 "likes" and 7 of them in a row..

8 moderators are suspect...

9 dubawallahs are still running...

10... (that's the bullseye and your user ID is deleted without warning).

That is my view on the cause behind basic questions --> the points system is the problem. Without it a few basic questions would be fun and can develop into something interesting. With points it is just noise and guests.

The points system is the problem.

Cheers,

Julius