cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transport dependancy check

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can any share any best practice they followed with respect to checking transport dependency at a high level.

I know from SE09, we can set dependency from dependency information section under goto. I am looking for a more thorough process here.

Is there way using the project under TMS or is custom code the only way of achieving it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards

Kalyan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

ChaRM with SolMAn 7.1 SPS 10 has this feature . The Downgrade Protection mechanism provides a check on object conflicts between transports.

For more information , you can check out the below link:

Downgrade Protection - Change Request Management - SAP Library

Regards,

Anjali.

rossmclanachan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Kalyan

As Graham has already mentioned, Transport Express includes a number of detailed analysers that check for specific scenarios such as:

• Highlighting transport dependancies, to ensure that when you move a SAP Change through your landscape, you do not forget about other transport(s) relating to the same change.
  • Warning of potential Overtake/Overwrite issues before specific transports are imported.
  • Making sure non-transportable Manual Changes are performed in the appropriate systems at the appropriate time.
  • Highlighting if transports contain specific SAP objects that an individual SAP customer deems risky within their business operations.
  • Highlighting any SAP Code Inspector issues, such as Performance, Security and Development Code Standard issues.
  • Highlighting what Test Scripts should be tested prior to a particular transport being moved further through landscape (depending on the SAP objects contained within the transport).

The above list is really just the tip of the iceberg. There are presently 35+ analysis checks that can be used within TE to improve the quality of the SAP Change you deliver, and to reduce import errors, development rework and most importantly of all, reduce the risk of SAP change causing issues in Production that have a negative impact on your business.

If you would like more information on these or any other aspect of Transport Express, please get in touch via our website.

Thanks

Ross McLanachan

http://www.basistechnologies.com/

For transparency, I should state that I work with Basis Technologies, the software vendor behind Transport Express and several other SAP-certified products. Prior to this, I spent almost a decade working in various SAP Change & Release and other delivery roles for a large global SAP consultancy, and so know first-hand the many faced by many SAP customers still delivering their SAP Change using manual processes

webwork
Explorer
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kalyan,

Although SAP does provide some tools for transport dependency checks, as you note in your question, they are somewhat limited.  I've seen some companies write their own tools to check these, but for really detailled checks, then you might wish to look at an external product like "Transport Express".

Regards,

Graham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Graham,

thanks for responding.

I am aware of the following. Are there any within SAP if we would like to opt from within SAP

1) Manually maintain attributes in the Properties tab of the transport request

2) Use projects and maintain dependancies using Menu option goto -> dependancy information

Are you aware of any other avenues within SAP.  I have seen a blog about custom code which doesn't seem to apply to 700 version so exploring all avenues

Regards

Kalyan