cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADO.NET Entity Framework and HANA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Is there an intention of SAP to provide support for Entity Framework with HANA (maybe by providing a custom family of the objects in the System.Data namespace for HANA (HanaConnection, HanaQuery, etc.))?

The major issue is translating LINQ query trees into valid HANA SQL.

Best,

Asher

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to know if there is any news concerning this. I know that in SAP HANA SPS08 you introduced an ADO.NET Data Provider, however, is it possible to connect via Entity Framework?

Thank you!

Kaleb

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kaleb,

From what I hear from SAP, they have no intention of supporting Entity Framework. We are looking into developing a provider ourselves. Would you be interested in some sort cooperation on this?

Asher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Asher,

That's very unfortunate to hear. Like you mentioned above, EF support would be extremely helpful to the .NET community as a whole. Have you been in contact with them outside of this thread?

Kaleb

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please contact me at asher at ziv *dot* co *dor* il

former_member184713
Participant
0 Kudos

I am not sap so I don't know BUT,

You may do it yourself if you have enough time to hack.

SAP Released a tool called "Query migration tool from MSSQL to SAP HANA".

this tool use the ANTLR3 project and is in .Net. It is a stand-alone program.

I don't know how the entity framework works, but my guess is that it create compatible sql statement from operation done with linq on objects.

If you are able to extract the source using the .net Reflector, then convert the command-line sql convertion tool to a library,  you could create the required entity framework class and generate the hana compatible sql without too much difficulties.

I got the program from the Streamwork project "SAP Business One, version for SAP HANA - Ramp-Up". There is probably other means to get it so you should ask your sap contact about it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Keven,

Thanks for your advice.

Taking the T-SQL query and converting it to HANA-SQL (using the SAP tool or otherwise) will not cover anything but the most basic cases. SAP is not advocating the conversion tool as an automatic conversion tool but rather a starting point for a partially manual conversion process.

Different dialects of SQL have different capabilities and sometimes perform the same task in different ways.

The LINQ query tree must be traversed and parsed with specific HANA-SQL in mind. this is a big task that must be taken seriously with proper resources and engagement.

EF HANA support would be important to all .NET community. I would very much like to hear from SAP about their intentions.

Best,

Asher