cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test Management in Solman 7.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

We have installed SAP Solution Manager 7.1 and using its ITSM and Change Control Managment process successfully. We want to explore its test management functionality fully as well. As we went through all the documents online but unable to conclude anything.

SAP Solution Manager 7.1 is now integrated with Test Automation Framework , i have few questions regarding TAO.

Do we have to purchase SAP TAO (Test Accelaration & Optimization) and SAP Quality Center separately??

Other than that how can we benefit from test management offered by Solman 7.1 and how it is different from Solman 7.0 ??

Regards

Sidra Hasan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Pls check it has all the steps for setup of test management

https://websmp105.sap-ag.de/~sapdownload/011000358700000148742011E/How_to_ManualTesting.pdf

Regards

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi prakhar

Thank you for your reply. The document you referred is for Solution Manager 7.0 , and as i believe Solman 7.1 has introduced Test Automation Framework which integrates SAP TAO and SAP QC as well.

I want to understand the SAP TAO/QC role with or without HP QTP. I believe SAP is offering 2 license as well for HP QTP on Enterprise Support Agreement, isnt it??

Can you please advice if we can automate testing with only SAp Solman and HP QTP?? or we should also install SAP TAO and QC for automatic testing?? what are the license about these products?

Thanks & Regards

Sidra

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hasan

the guide i have shared is basically for test mgmt covering all the test management aspects in solman version doesn't matter as it says 7.0 Ehp1 onwards ....

now if you are looking for test automation check this (how to guide for Test Automation framework)

https://websmp105.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000125782012E

2 QTP license is only for Enterprise support customer so make sure and check with customer if they want to go for it......ofcourse you don't need HPQC and check my blog.

http://scn.sap.com/community/it-management/alm/solution-manager/blog/2012/04/05/test-automation-fram...

i hope it ans ur query ....be specific of what you need then only it is easier to help

Regards

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Prakhar

Your reply is well appreciated, Test automation is the ultimate goal, the choice of product is the question.

Kindly suggest  one more thing , will HP QTP suffice the requirement of test automation?? we should not go for TAO or HPQC??

Regards

Sidra

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

TAO is basically enhancing and quickly test scripts creation tool so it is based upon the no of scripts and client requireements.....

SOLMAN + QTP is more than sufficient but again it is purely customer requirement based and you can check with them

HPQC is nothing but for test management which you are doing with solman so why customer will spend so much for that when getting it within solman

hope clarifies all

regards

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sidra,

With Solman 7.1 , You can directly attach the QTP test scripts to the solar02 configuration -> test tab hence  to the test plans-> test packages ..

So you can manage and administrate the testing from Solman Test Management directly. For automation, you need to see how you can utilize QTP / ECatt etc.

So as suggested by Prakhar.. Solman 7.1 + QTP would be more than sufficient in this case.

Thanks,

Jagadish.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jagadish

Thank you for your reply. We have enterprise support but unable to download HP QTP via marketplace.

Secondly as per license agreement we will get 2 licenses for HP QTP but can you please elaborate the licenses will be available only for POC or they will be for operation as well??

Regards

Sidra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prakhar ,

In order to use Business Process Testing (BPT) for testing SAPGUI, QC has to be used. HP provides an SAP Add-in in which will allow QTP to 'see' all of SAPGUI Objects. But to use the add-in, one has to use BPT. QC is more than test management, it actually facilitates the ability to develop automation using HPQC's business component module.

I like the concept of integrating QTP directly with SolMan. I know this is off topic but just wanted to add some content to this thread for people who may be confused about this Test Cases tab - because from what Ive read, if you have QC, you do not use this tab.

Chris

AjayHS
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Hasan,

Please check what is in the signed agreement.

This should give you more information on the QTP License as i understand its just not for POC.

Thanks,

Aj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prakhar - client has Solman only and team felt that this is not the best test management tool and it has limitations and cannot be solely used for SAP tesing.

What specific advantages does HPQC have over Solman to use it and integrate with Solman.

Former Member
karlcaj
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Hasan,

You can also try to download HP Unified Functional Testing (the newest version of QTP) from

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/software-solutions/unified-functional-testing-automation/

Integrate the Solution Manager to it (same steps as QTP) then apply the SAP Note 1745282 - License check for HP QTP.

Manual steps for the two licenses can be found - maintain the two dialog users inside a table then add additional authorization for the background user connecting to HP UFT/QTP to allow use.

Hope this helps,

Karl

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

AjayHS
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Hasan,

As you rightly mentioned Solution Manager 7.1 provides Test Automation Framework which will allow integration of external tools with Solution Manager.

There are 3 test options based on the tools used by the customer.

Test Option 1: Solution Manager Workcenter + CBTA , 2 HP QTP , Worksoft Certify, eCATT

Test Option 2 : SAP TAO , HP QC

Test Option 3 : IBM rational tools.

If customer is already using HP QTP then fine else it involves licensing cost.

You can also try CBTA (Component Based Test Automation tool) which comes with no licensing cost from Solution Manager 7.1 SP07 onwards for Enterprise Customers.

CBTA is enhanced to support most of the technologies like:

SAPGUI

CRM Webclient

Webdynpro ABAP

Webdynpro Java

SAP Netweaver Portal

HTMLB

BSP

Thanks,

Aj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ajay

We have been facing difficulties in the integration of HP QTP with Solution Manager , further it provides only two licenses as part of  enterprise customer support.

I am now looking into CBTA as another solution, can you please tell me if it is the right option considering the test automation both ABAP and Java based solutions like SRM etc.

Is there any licensing cost to add tester or to install client for tester?

Looking forward for your reply.

Thanks & Regards

Sidra Hasan

karlcaj
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sidra,

SAP CBTA is license free and comes as enablement within Solution Manager. The only limitation is that it handles SAP testing only.

You can use both HP UFT and SAP CBTA to handle SAP and non-SAP automated testing.

Both types of automated test scripts can be combined into a composite test script with data values that can be passed onto each other.

Hope this helps,

Karl

AjayHS
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

CBTA come with no licensing cost with enterprise support. Certainly it supports SRM application. There is note available to list the number know issues.

Please go ahead and automate your application using CBTA.

Thanks,

Aj

AjayHS
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

CBTA come with no licensing cost with enterprise support. Certainly it supports SRM application. There is note available to list the number know issues.

Please go ahead and automate your application using CBTA.

Thanks,

Aj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karl,

CBTA is new for us. We are doing R & D in this tool. My scenario is am done with creation of quotation and change of quotation  as individual script. Now I want to club both the scripts with Test Tool option "composite Test" selected. But I could find that option in the "New Test configuration Prompt". Please let me know if you know the solution.