cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid Argument provided. Failed to reterive data from the database.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Recieving the following error:

Invalid Argument provided.
Failed to reterive data from the database.

Error in File temp_a2230dd6f-802f044f70afb9-5e5b3819{625D4726-857F-4EFB0FD0610B68BF6}.rpt:
Invalid argument

Client PC (QA user):
Crystal Reports for Visual Studio runtime installed.
Windows 7

this error occurs.

Dev PC:
I have Crystal Reports for Visual Studio (ran the 'executable' from http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7824.)
Windows 7

this error does NOT occur.

scenario 1:
For BOTH PCs, the VB application is making a remoting call into the SAME appLayer which hits the SAME database.
The remoted call hits a VB DLL which calls SQL Server via the SAME stored proc.

Since the remoted DLL and database /stored proc are the same for both PCS and the front end code is identical, the difference would appear to be the enviroment.

scenario 2:

both PCs are running identical compiled code, accessing the database (as described above) in the EXACT identical way.

Since entirity of the code is identical for both PCS, the difference would appear to be the enviroment.

Basically, the only obvious differences is the Client (QA) PC had the CR for VS (2012) runtime installed and the Dev PC had the executable installed rather than the MSI.

Could some other dependency or PC configuration be the issue?

I would ASSUME not as I would assume a more meaningful error message if that were the case.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Tom

I also don't think the issue is code (you are correct, the MSI does match the install exe).

My first suspect would be the client database install. Particularly for MS SQL. I am not sure what version of SQL Server you are running but,  MS SQL Server 2008 does not work with the MDAC version of the Native drivers, you must install the MS SQL Server Client (the driver name is "MS SQL Server Native client 10"). E.f.; if the one computer has  MDAC version of the Native drivers, it will not work and you will have to install "MS SQL Server Native client 10".

More info:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms131035(v=sql.105).aspx

- Ludek

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

Thank you for the reply.

Both PCs are calling the SAME remoted DLL on the same server.

The remoted call returns a dataset.

In addition, hundreds of OTHER methods in the same remoted DLL also return datasets to the same client application running on both of the PCs in question.  We have not seen a similar issue with any of the other reports.

I am assuming since the client only has visibility to the dataset that is returned (and NO visibility to SQL Server) that the scenario you describe would not be a factor.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Solved the issue.

The newest version of Crystal was NOT properly installed on the suspect PC.

All is well now.

Thanks,

Tom

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ooops

Many thanks for letting us know. I love information and any and all info is so vluable.

- Ludek

Answers (0)