cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPUI5 & BSP?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

As per the title, a quick & simple question - is it possible to build a BSP application that uses SAPUI5?  I've not played with BSP for a long time but am pretty sure I could drop say jQuery libraries in and make use of them so wondered if this is the same for SAPUI5?  I'm talking about a simplistic application using the BSP MVC framework for accessing SAP data, services, etc. but using the SAPUI5 for the look & feel.

I've just started searching/researching this so if anyone has any useful blog posts or document links that could help, I'd appreaciate them.  I've already found content about using SAPUI5 on top of ICF services, however I'm keen to understand if I can contain the development to within SE80, more or less, and let the BSP access logic directly.  Hope that makes sense.

I may well be heading in the completely wrong direction with this - all suggestions appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Gareth.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

christian_jianelli
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gareth,

In the link below you can see how I created the BSP application for the SAPUI5 application (Creating the BSPs to deploy the application and the SAPUI5 framework). In this blog i'm not using the Add-On.

http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/front-end/blog/2012/12/07/building-a-crud-application-...

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

Thanks very much for this.  I'd bookmarked the first part of your blog series to read through as I thought it would relevant but hadn't noticed the specific section in part 3 that you mention, which is more or less exaclty what I'm trying to do.  I thought that as you were using ICF services to supply data it might not be so relevant - how wrong was I?!

I'll have a further hack today and let you know how I get on...

Thanks,

Gareth.

christian_jianelli
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gareth,

The ICF service only provides data. The SAPUI5 application (built as a BSP application) consumes this data.

Regards,

Christian

KaushalShah
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I went through your blog, especially part 3. But couldn't understand the part where you're talking about exporting ZSAPUI5 application as a separate BSP application on SAP server. None of your earlier parts talk about creating ZSAPUI5 project in eclipse. So, couldn't understand from where this step originated.

Plus, on my eclipse, I installed sapui5 libraries directly from this URL - SAP Development Tools for Eclipse - Kepler Software Repository

So it is a little unclear how to drop these libraries in a BSP application and from where. And if I understand correctly, without these libraries, SAPUI5 BSP application won't work.

christian_jianelli
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kaushal,

The BSP ZSAPUI5 in used only to host the SAPUI5 Library and is only necessary if you don´t have the sapui5 standard library in your system (the UI Add-on provided by SAP). The ZSAPUI5 BSP contains only the files of the SAPUI5 library (that you can download by opening the link below). The procedure to upload the files is explained in my blog.

Download Evaluation Package for UI Development Toolkit for HTML5

Regards,

Christian

KaushalShah
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response Christian. Like a few others have pointed out, I'm also a bit sceptical about putting an 80mb library on ICF. I tried uploading the sapui5 library to my DEV box. And it almost froze our DEV server. But if the system is of lower version (UI addno not installed), then I presume there is no way around it, is it?

christian_jianelli
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kaushal,

Please take a look at the blog posted by Martin English (link below). Martin followed another approach to import the SAPUI5 library.

Regards,

Christian

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

GrahamRobbo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gareth,

Absolutely YES.

If you have the SAPUI5 Add-On installed you can use those libraries. If not you can certainly just "drop in the libraries" as you describe for JQuery.

The latest SAPUI5 libraries are about 80MB I think. So you might want to consider putting them in a file system directory on the WAS and accessing them from the ICF using a system parameter like this.

icm/HTTP/file_access_1 =  PREFIX=/sapui5/,DOCROOT=C:\usr\sapui5,BROWSEDIR=2,CACHECTRL=+28800

Cheers

Graham Robbo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Graham.

I thought/hoped this would be the case.  It is a lot easier to test it out with jQuery libraries as you can just hotlink to them hosted elsewhere, as many people have done in various blogs already, or just import the .js file as a mime into your BSP application.

I started down this route with UI5 but as you mention, at 80Mb (and a complex directory structure too) adding all of the content in as mimes to a BSP app isn't the most efficient way of doing things!

Graham Robinson wrote:

So you might want to consider putting them in a file system directory on the WAS and accessing them from the ICF using a system parameter like this.

icm/HTTP/file_access_1 =  PREFIX=/sapui5/,DOCROOT=C:\usr\sapui5,BROWSEDIR=2,CACHECTRL=+28800

I'm not familair with this approach sorry (been working on the Java stack for too long!)  Am I right in thinking this just makes the UI5 libraries available on the WAS, much the same as if I dropped them into htdocs on apache or similar?  Or is there more to it?  I am trying to build a solution that doesn't use ICF if possible, just BSP - not sure if this fits in with that or not?

Thanks,

Gareth.

GrahamRobbo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gareth,

yes you can relate my example to dropping the artefacts into htdocs on apache or inetpub/wwwroot on IIS.

It still uses the ICF but it simply serves this content directly from the file system. It supports caching (CACHECTRL=+28800) and directory browsing (BROWSEDIR=2). There is no need for the browser to authenticate either.

Once you move to an ABAP stack that has the SAPUI5 add-in installed you will find the libraries are located somewhere like http://mysapserver/sap/public/bc/ui5_ui5/1/resources/sap-ui-core.js

Cheers

Graham Robbo

konstantin_anikeev
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gareth,

as far as I know. SAPUI5 for SRM module is implemented as BSP.

If you have access to SRM installations - please check it's implementation.

Best Regards

Konstantin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Konstantin - that's good to know, I'll check it out.

I'm hoping it is a simple case of referencing the SAPUI5 .js files, in much the same was as you would reference jQuery source but confirmation of that would be great.

Gareth.