cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTML5 App using ODATA from SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can we create the HTML5 application using SUP 2.1.3 which can run the application on mobile web browsers?

Regards,

Shrikant.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

rohith_deraje
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Srikant,

you can develop a HTML5 app in 2.1.3 using Hybrid web container.However SUP 2.1.3-ODP(online) is with  mesaging channel and hence has dependency on client libraries(AN/iOS/BB).

If you are looking for a online(ODP) app using HTML5, you can go for SUP2.2 which has HTTP channel.

Regards

Rohith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

My only requirement is to run the application on Mobile Web Browsers on any device.

So that i can minimize the native development efforts for multiple device platforms.

1. Is it possible?

2. What are Negative sides of it?

3. How can i do that & which version?

Regards,

Shrikant

Dan_vL
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

If you simply wish to write an HTML5 based web application running in a browser that accesses SAP Netweaver, or any OData source, try taking a look at the dataJS library available at http://datajs.codeplex.com/

SUP 2.1.3, provides Eclipse tooling, which allows you to connect to SAP using JCo, to database back-ends, as well as web services.  The data can be modeled in MBO or Mobile Business Objects.  Native apps generated against MBO's can be used for applications that are occasionally disconnected.  A copy of the data is stored on the mobile device and changes are synced to a consolidated database running in the SUP server.  Hybrid Apps or HTML5 apps that use the MBO's can also have some limited offline use.  A designer will auto generate screens based on the MBO's to generate an HTML 5 or hybrid app.  The hybrid app runs inside a hybrid container that provides access to native device features not available to HTML5 apps such as the contacts list and the camera.  The SUP platform also integrates into various authentication systems and provides easy deployment (provisioning) of your hybrid apps to the mobile devices.

In SUP 2.2, the ability for a hybrid app to connect directly to an OData source was added.  The datajs library is included.  The designer does not currently assist in creating an OData HTML5 app as it does for an MBO based hybrid or HTML5 app.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Daniel for the information.

I'd like to develop the HTML5 app using SUP2.2.

So do i need to create the Hybrid app for this 1st & then generate the code so that i can customize the HTML5 coding.

Is this the right approach?

Please Suggest.

Regards,

Shrikant

Dan_vL
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I would likely start by creating a simple web page that includes the dataJS library to return some data from your OData source.

Then decide if you wish to use a UI framework (ie JQuery Mobile, Sencha Touch, SAPUI5 etc).

If your app requires native device functionality, provisioning, or requires integration with an authentication system, then consider using SUP for this functionality.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

I have developed OData Hybrid Application and Zipped using Packaging Tool and now trying to run in iOS Hybrid Web Conatiner 2.2.

My App is running fine in HWC when i choose iphone5, iphone5.1 simulators. Bu twhen try to run the

same App using iphone6.0 simulator, it is not running and  loading the Start HTML file, showing the

white blank screen.

Can you please suggest some thing on this.

Thanks,

Hemagiri Seerapu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hemagiri,

Have you used phoneGap to develop the hybrid app???

If Yes, can you please guide me in doing so.

former_member228049
Participant
0 Kudos

You should be able to use webkit on Safari to debug the app runing on HWC, in that way, you may get more information why screen goes to blank

Dan_vL
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Can you provide a bit more information on what functionality your application requires?  Does it need native device functionality, or offline capabilities?

The Sybase Unwired Platform provides a Hybrid Web Container which can host your HTML 5 based applications.  It provides native device functionality (access to the camera, contacts, etc) via PhoneGap/Cordova as well as provisioning of your HTML 5 applications. 

In SUP 2.2, the JavaScript library datajs is provided to allow access to OData sources.

There is a sample showing this here. 

Using Sencha Touch and OData in a Hybrid App https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/docs/DOC-152564

and

Hybrid App Consuming OData Using SAPUI5 Eclipse Plugin https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/docs/DOC-152612

SAPUI5 OData SUP 2.2 HWC App https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/docs/DOC-152610

OData based apps currently do not support offline use cases.

Hope that helps,

Dan van Leeuwen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

My only requirement is to run the application on Mobile Web Browsers on any device.

So that i can minimize the native development efforts for multiple device platforms.

1. Is it possible?

2. What are Negative sides of it?

3. How can i do that & which version?

Regards,

Shrikant