Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AS400 to SAP career Change

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Friends,

I have been working with AS400 technology for the past 8 +yrs. Since I see demands for AS400 professional (8-10 yrs experience range) has been drastically reduced, I would like to change my career. Considering the job opportunities and long term career skill, SAP appears to be the best option.

I am yet to explore more on Functional/Technical modules suitable for me, I would like to get your advise on this change.

Could you please advise on a road map that would optimize my experience and smooth swift to SAP.

Thanks,

VJ

4 REPLIES 4

former_member182470
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Your "Green Font" experience is undoubtedly useful in ur future endeavors. You must have got great SQL programming skills and great understanding about i-series system and DB 400 databases.

Your basic RDBMS skills will be very helpful if you choose SAP as ur roadmap.

SAP has got great career scope. Their products are incredible. I work on SAP BI/BW. The back bone of our company is AS 400 system. We have got huge setup in our organization.

Regards,

Suman

0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

Based on my some more exploration, I found changing career to SAP BI/BW will be a good move. Can you please put some lights on this path.

0 Kudos

HI,

Choosing SAP BI/BW is the best career option. You can learn SAP BO too in parallel.. It's an exclusive reporting tool. You can think of SAP HANA.

Step 1: SAP BI/BW

Step 2: SAP HANA or SAP BO.

Step 1 will help you to understand How Customers maintain their datawarehouses..? Step 2 can additionally help you to grab good opportunities in the market.

Go with SAP BI/BW first....

Regards,

Suman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi VJ,

1. As you are shifting from one TECHNOLOGY PLATFORM to other, be ready to spend - in terms of time and money. If you can afford to take the coaching then get yourself trained from SAP Education in your respective conuntry or else you can approach to your SAP division within in your organization to get yourself trained in ABAP.

2. ABAP altogether a different programming language, but I am sure with the proper training, you could able to achieve a great success in SAP.

3. Becoming functional consultant will be challenging for you due to lack of domain functional knowledge.

4. But with the good technical ABAP understanding, in future you can become a complete techno-functional consultant.

Hope this will be useful

Regards

DJ