Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error at MAIN_UPTRANS/STARTSAP_PUPG

andreas_zigann
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

at implementing EHP 6 SUM fails in PHASE MAIN_UPTRANS/STARTSAP_PUPG.

At PHASES.LOG I get the following error:

1 ETQ399 SYSTEM MANAGER: Contents of instance list. Instance Number: 00.

1EETQ399 SYSTEM MANAGER: Instance Q61 00 not found

2EETQ354 Starting system failed, rc="-1"

The strange effect is, that the SAP System is startet. The service SAPSTARTSRV is running. I have stopped the system several times with the following comands:

- sapcontrol -nr 00 -function StopWait 300 10

- SAPup stoporig

- stopsap R3

Then I have stopped SAPSTARTSRV, SAPCCM4X and SUM

After this I did a "cleanipc all remove"

Then I have started the system an SUM again and got the same error.

I found several notes where the SAP did not start but no one where the system runs but the error occurs.

I found following strange behavior:

hges2100:q61adm 24% /saptmp/SUM/abap/bin/SAPup rootdir=/saptmp/SUM/abap stoporig

Waiting 20 seconds for proper system stop...

hges2100:q61adm 25% /saptmp/SUM/abap/bin/SAPup rootdir=/saptmp/SUM/abap checksysstatus

ERROR: Original system should be up, but appears to be down!

hges2100:q61adm 26% /saptmp/SUM/abap/bin/SAPup rootdir=/saptmp/SUM/abap startorig

Starting service ...

hges2100:q61adm 27% /saptmp/SUM/abap/bin/SAPup rootdir=/saptmp/SUM/abap checksysstatus

Original system is down.

I can logon to the system now!

Does anyone know this behaviours?

How does the "SAPup checksysstatus" get the information if the system is running?

Best regards

Andreas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

andreas_zigann
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

the problem was solved by SAP Customer message.

The problem was caused by using virtual hostnames. To prevent you have to add the following parameters to your profiles:

START-Profile:

SAPLOCALHOST

SAPLOCALHOSTFULL

DEFAULT-Profile:

SAPGLOBALHOST

Best Regards

Andreas

rkresha
Participant
0 Kudos

After adding those profiles, do you need to bounce anything or what are the next steps?

andreas_zigann
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Rob,

I do not remember exactly, but I think I only had to restart SAPSTARTSRV. Thats all. May be I have restartet the SAP Instance too.

Best Regards

Andreas

former_member188433
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rob - we face a similar issue in an upgrade from EHP5 to EHP7.  Do you recall any further details on how you got past your issue?  I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Best Regards - Jeff

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member188433
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas - I am facing a very similar issue to this when upgrading from ERP EHP5 to EHP7.

We recently moved some of our processes to an HA cluster that uses a virtual IP.

We do not specify SAPLOCALHOST or SAPLOCALHOSTFULL in our START profiles. Did you have to add these parameters?  SAPGLOBALHOST is in our DEFAULT profile and it currently uses the virtual IP name.  Did you change the value from a virtual address to a physical server name?  Also - which operating system were you using at the time?

Thanks and Best Regards - Jeff

andreas_zigann
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Jeff,

you have to set SAPLOCALHOST and SAPLOCALHOSTFULL in your START-Profile. The correct configuration is described in not http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/962955

During upgrade to SAP Basis 740 (ERP EHP7) SUM does a switch of the START-Profile to Instance-Profile. After the upgrade and I think during the upgrade for shadow instance you have to set this parameter in instance profile .

May be you are getting a problem caused by /usr/sap/sapservice, because SUM does not change it. We got problems with the LVM and Solution Manager because the hostagent and sapinit are using this file to start sapstartsrv.

We are using Linux, I know the configuration of Solaris was similar.

Best Regards

Andreas

former_member188433
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Andreas!  Cheers - Jeff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

Just kill the current sapstartsrv process and call startsap again. After this check the output of GetProcessList. If all process like disp+work are with GREEN status you can continue the SUM upgrade.

sapcontrol -nr 00 -function GetProcessList

Also check and confirm if you are using latest kernal version ?

Rgds,

Sachin

andreas_zigann
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Valerio, hello Sachin,

I have stopped sapstartsrv by

sapcontrol -nr 00 -function StopService

Then I did a

cleanipc all remove

I am using SAP Kernel 402, same version as development system.

All processes seem to be ok:

hges2100:q61adm 1% sapcontrol -nr 00 -function GetProcessList

19.03.2013 13:11:48
GetProcessList
OK
name, description, dispstatus, textstatus, starttime, elapsedtime, pid
msg_server, MessageServer, GREEN, Running, 2013 03 15 10:53:41, 98:18:07, 14755
disp+work, Dispatcher, GREEN, Running, Message Server connection ok, Dialog Queue time: 0.00 sec, 2013 03 15 10:53:41, 98:18:07, 14756
igswd_mt, IGS Watchdog, GREEN, Running, 2013 03 15 10:53:41, 98:18:07, 14757

At which time the upgrade switches to the new profiles? I think at other systems there were no more START-Profile, but at this System this switch is not done by now.

Best Regards

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

Module: Downtime I: Switch tables and Kernel is the phase where switch happens. Below mentioned are sub phases under it.

MODPROF_TRANS  Changes profiles
MODPROF_BAS      Adapts profiles to new release
KX_SWITCH            Switches SAP kernel

Rgds,

Sachin

valeriocicchiel
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

do you see in SAP MC all processes (including IGS) up and running?

If not, SUM thinks the system is down even if you can logon

Regards,

Valerio