Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display attributes and Navigational attributes in SAP Business Objects

former_member540424
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

As i am working on SAP BI4.0 with SAP BW. I wanna know the difference of display attributes and navigational attributes w.r.t SAP Business Objects.

Thanks in Advance,

Gowrishankar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Display Attribute of any characteristic will show as detail object in universe where as Navigational Attribute will show as dimension object in universe.

Regards,

Anuj

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The choice to define an InfoObject as a characteristic or a navigational attribute depends on your reporting requirement, business process, and SAP NetWeaver BW modeling techniques, as well as SAP Best Practices

former_member540424
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

Thanks for making me clear about this topic.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gowrishankar,

The difference of display attributes and navigational attributes w.r.t SAP Business Objects.

Display Attribute: Display attributes are available as sub-ordinates of the characteristic.

Navigational Attributes: Navigational Attributes are being treated identical to a characteristic.

mohdshadab_shaikh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gowrishankar,

Display attributes - You can display these attributes of the main info object in the query but cannot drill down beyond these attributes and apply some formula's.

Navigational attributes - You can display these attributes in the query as well as apply drill down beyond these attributes and apply formula's and do some calculation.

For query performance, it is recommendable to keep attributes of main info object as display until user specifically request for it. System default for attributes is display until you change it to navigational.

former_member540424
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mohamed,

Thansk for your reply.

But, I wanna know how those attributes differ in Business Objects perspective.

mohdshadab_shaikh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gowrishankar,

The data mentioned was for BW - Portal/VC/BEx Analyzer and other reporting tools, same apply to BO as well.

0 Kudos

Hi Gowrishankar,

Display and Navigational type of attributes differ by their functionality only.

There will be no difference while they form as objects in the Universe .

But in the reporting application ( Web Intelligence Documents) , we can place use display type of attributes in result objects section but not in Query filters section. Where as navigational attributes can be used to restrict the result set by placing them in Query filter section. Its same like BW we can not perform drill functionality on display type of attributes and we can on navigational attributes.

Best Regards,

Rajendra Kodavati.