cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HANA Basics

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm pretty new to SAP HANA and i have a good understanding of SAP ECC on HANA Works.

Please can some one clarify my doubts asi having difficulty keeping up latest releases from SAP

Option 1) Hana as Secondary Data base-  SAP ECC is still on say DB6 (HANA is OLAP and ECC is OLTP )

Load Information using either SLT or BODS into Hana Data Base  and Build Models using replicated data and consume models in BI Client Tools

Option 2)Is there a way to migrate your SAP ECC DB6 (or any ECC Database) to HANA Database  and use SAP ECC as both your OLAP and OLTP Systems   

In this case you don't need SLT or BODS

Is the second option available for customers ? If yes, why clients go for first where you have maintain data at 2 places and addition replication process

3)Say we already have BW system in Place  what happens in that case

1)SAP ECC(DATA)--->BW(Cubes)--> HANA(Migrate your existing cubes to Views(Analytic or calculation Views)   if this right-  when we want to create  a new View -Do we have to create Cube in BW and Migrate to View in Hana Studio)

I just want want to know what are the existing options that SAP Provides

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swathi,

Please check the below link, which explains in detail on the HANA Deployment Options.

http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-4185

Regards,

Kalyani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swathi pls read

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swathi

Option 1) Hana as Secondary Data base-  SAP ECC is still on say DB6 (HANA is OLAP and ECC is OLTP )   ------>

HANA is neither OLTP nor OLAP. You can use the HANA database for storing data(-read tables) OLAP or OLTP does not matter.

Option 2)Is there a way to migrate your SAP ECC DB6 (or any ECC Database) to HANA Database  and use SAP ECC as both your OLAP and OLTP Systems    ------->

If you are thinking along the lines of  the ECC database residing on HANA, technically that is possible. Considering that the ECC system is generally a system of record it has to be extremely reliable , robust with recovery/audit features among other things. Some time in the future that might happen.  And you are right, in that scenario there is would be no need for SLT, BODS, DXC or anything else. 

Option3)Say we already have BW system in Place  what happens in that case

1)SAP ECC(DATA)--->BW(Cubes)--> HANA(Migrate your existing cubes to Views(Analytic or calculation Views)   if this right-  when we want to create  a new View -Do we have to create Cube in BW and Migrate to View in Hana Studio) -------->

I agree with Ravindra's response to this part of your question.

Regards

Srinivas Rao

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi SAP HANA Academy | SAP HANA

you can also sign up for open sap the course it self is free

p.s instead of reading and searching through out scn forums my best advice start working with sap hana server you can learn much faster

thank you

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Swathi,

Swathi D wrote:

Option 1) Hana as Secondary Data base-  SAP ECC is still on say DB6 (HANA is OLAP and ECC is OLTP )

Load Information using either SLT or BODS into Hana Data Base  and Build Models using replicated data and consume models in BI Client Tools

Yes, this is a standard way of using ECC data for Data warehouse reporting in using HANA DB. Another option is also to use HANA RDS. You can also refer to the Solutions section here to get more insight on different possibilities on HANA with ECC.

Option 2)Is there a way to migrate your SAP ECC DB6 (or any ECC Database) to HANA Database  and use SAP ECC as both your OLAP and OLTP Systems  

In this case you don't need SLT or BODS

Is the second option available for customers ? If yes, why clients go for first where you have maintain data at 2 places and addition replication process

On the second option please check the following documents / link. FAQ, Roadmap and release Info.

3)Say we already have BW system in Place  what happens in that case

1)SAP ECC(DATA)--->BW(Cubes)--> HANA(Migrate your existing cubes to Views(Analytic or calculation Views)   if this right-  when we want to create  a new View -Do we have to create Cube in BW and Migrate to View in Hana Studio)

In this case it depends on how you wish to use your BW system. You can continue to use the existing BW application by migrating the underlying database to HANA (BW on HANA) or can choose to publish the BW on HANA In-memory InfoCubes and DSOs to HANA information models (Analytic views and Calc views) and can use them for reporting.

You can create additional InfoCubes / DSOs in BW on HANA and publish them to HANA information models. So depending on the use case, there are multiple architecture options available.

I would be providing the link to this thread on another forum as you asked the same question on BW powered by SAP HANA forum, http://scn.sap.com/thread/3330553

Regards,

Ravi