cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMC sessions shows that Administrator has 2 sessions

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I log into Crystal Server 2008, CMC as Administrator, Sessions shows that there are 2 sessions running for him.

If I log in as myself (also an Admin) and look at CMC sessions, it still shows 1 session for Administrator, from January.

I read in one discussion that there will always be one session in use by Administrator.   Is this true?

And it looks like it counts that one Admin session against my license of 5 concurrent sessions.   Should it? 

Is there any way to log out that extra Administrator session?

Also, I tested the Timeout functionality, leaving an InfoView user logged in for over 15 minutes, and logging out using the red X.  It logs the user out after the 15 minutes of inactivity, but it doesn't get rid of his session, he still looks like he's in the system.    Shouldn't the time-out also remove his session???

Is the only way to remove inactive sessions to have the user log back in and log out correctly (not using the red X)?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I found one way to remove inactive (stale) sessions.  Stopped and started the Server Intelligence Agent and all sessions cleared out.   Of course this will clear out Active sessions too. 

I'd still like to know how to implement an SDK to monitor and clean up stale sessions.  What would I monitor and how would I automatically clean up just stale sessions?

former_member182521
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Karen,

Lets refer here. http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-6353

Though it is for forcibly removing active sessions we can change the Query Builder query to remove only stale sessions. Have a look

Also refer KB : 1468652 - How to forcibly terminate a users session using the Java SDK in BOE XI 3.1

Regards,

Mani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, I kind of understand the DOC-6353 but am not a Java programmer.  I can probably work with someone else here to help me with that.   Also I couldn't find the KB 1468652 article, maybe I don't have access to that part of the SAP network website???   When I did a search for that KB number, I found two communications talking about the article, but not the article itself.   The Adam Stone Feb 23,2011 article was one that I found and it showed the java code in there.  So if that's all I need then I think I'm okay.     As an alternative, I think I can stop and start the Server Intelligence Agent service which clears all sessions.  

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stopping SIA will clear all the sessions. Good news is, if you are already in BO 4.0, SAP is adding Kill Sessions App similar to CMC/Launch pad. You can take advantage of that.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm not using BO 4.0, I'm using Crystal Server 2008.    So I don't think that will help.  Would be nice if Crystal Server 2008 had a Kill Sessions app.   

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Karen,

Here's an sdk app you can use to clean up sessions.  Please test in sandbox first.  Instructions to deploy the sdk code is included in the zip file.

https://sapmats-us.sap-ag.de/download/download.cgi?id=FH8Y5Z2BCYVATKF7FEILSESGTWLIP7F0FRIN4M1BWXK4FV...

This will work with CR Server, same as BI4.0

I also found this script for XI 3.1 (cr2008 server) as well.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-6353

Cheers

Toby

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info.   I was able to get this to work.   I'm going to go ahead and close this discussion.  

former_member184512
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jawahar,

COuld you let us know how to find app to kill sessions??

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Here's an sdk app you can use to clean up sessions.  Please test in sandbox first.  Instructions to deploy the sdk code is included in the zip file.

https://sapmats-us.sap-ag.de/download/download.cgi?id=FH8Y5Z2BCYVATKF7FEILSESGTWLIP7F0FRIN4M1BWXK4FV...

This will work with CR Server, same as BI4.0

I also found this script for XI 3.1 (cr2008 server) as well.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-6353

former_member184512
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Toby,

When I try to open above link, it says session expired.

Do SDK work for BI 4.0 SP4 P6 also?

If yes please upload sdk once again ..

Thanks

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

I uploaded it again for you.  It will work with SP4 codeline but please test in sandbox first.

https://sapmats-us.sap-ag.de/download/download.cgi?id=724B58DPQ70S0XVGLBLAJA1CA8CJ5UL3U8DIBHSZIUIJGS...

Thanks

Toby

former_member184512
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for upload.

Could you let me know how to implement sdk??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Suman,

This is not a SDK. It works similar like CMC or LaunchPad. This is new feature in BO 4.0

1. Using WinRar, unrar the KillSession folder from the archive.

2. Go to the following location <install dir>:Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Tomcat6\webapps

3. Paste the extracted folder in the above directory.

4. Restart the Tomcat Server.

5. Go to the following URL http://servername:8080/KillSession

6. Logon as an administrator using enterprise authentication.

7. You will be able to see all the sessions that are currently active.

former_member184512
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jawahar,

Not sure about which folder you are asking us to copy in <install dir>:Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Tomcat6\webapps.

Are you talking about folder which Toby provided in same conversation???

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes. After you download the zip file from Toby's link, follow my steps explained above.

former_member184512
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for information

I follwed same procedure but when I try to launch url, it shows me 404 error.

I have restarted tomcat too.

Not sure why it happening...

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

It's missing the deployment descriptor (web.xml) so it won't deploy.  Either create your own deployment descriptor or.....

Create a new folder called killsession under /webapps/AdminTools

Copy *.jsp and *.html from the KillSession.zip into /webapps/AdminTools/killsession

Access the application http://hostname:8080/AdminTools/killsession

former_member184512
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Toby,

I tried steps you recommended but no luck of it..

Do any one have file with web.xml???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

I tried it yesterday as i mentioned above. Followed the same steps. Just restarted the Tomcat. I could able to open the KillSession web app and login. Killed some sessions. Everything works as expected. I did not have to do any WEB.XML changes or any other.

BTW, what patch level you are on? We have direct BO 4.0 SP4.

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

Open a message under component BI-BIP-DEP and email me the message number (toby.johnston @ sap.com).  I will help you to deploy the app via netviewer session.

Thanks

Toby

former_member184512
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Toby,

SAP message number: 424687

Really thanks for help.

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Can you email me your contact info?  toby.johnston @ sap.com

former_member184512
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Toby,

Really thanks for helping us.

Now we are good..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Toby,

Kindly share the sdk file as this link is not working and could you share the step by step process to kill the user session. Waiting for your response.

Regards,

Roshan Wankhede

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Roshan,

Refer to the following article for information on this.

Thanks
Toby

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Toby,

This links takes me to cognizant mailbox of which i do not have access.

Outlook Web App

Regards,

Roshan Wankhede

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

That's odd.  Try this one.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member184512
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

How many session are created to execute on report..

I mean..

Open report - refresh report- Fill prompts- Run query- Close window

I have tested it out, I have observed 2 different kinds of statistics..

1. 1 session created at open report itself and same session existing till close window

2. 1 session created at open report and other session created after performing run query, it mean 2 sessions have entered for 1 report execution

So now in confusion which is correct.

Reason for checking it is we have seen for 1 user system have created 151 session in 30 minutes of time but only 10 reports are executed ..so now in process of finding why that many sessions have entry for one user.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

SJ,

We have seen this issue when we were in SP2, patch14. We have encountered the issue with UNX Universes created using OLEDB connection. So we had to force to the UNX universe connection to ODBC connection with SQL Server 2008.

I believe this issue was fixed in SP4 and Patch5 , something like that. I am not sure what patch levels you are on.

BTW, how did your killing session issue got resolved, can you share , so that if any one encounters the same issue, it will be helpful for them.

former_member184512
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Jawahar,

we are on sp4 p6.

we have all BICS based reports only.

So not sure how to resolve session number calculation.

Regarding session killing process, we solved issue with the help of Toby.

Copy the *.jar from <BOBJHOME>/Tomcat6/webapps/BOE/WEB-INF/jars to

<BOBJHOME>/Tomcat6/webapps/KillSession/WEB-INF/lib

It resolved all issue.

Once again thanks to Toby!!!

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

The app was missing the deployment descriptor (web.xml)

I updated it and attaching it here.  Just rename KillSession.txt to KillSession.zip and unzip to webapps then copy the jars from <BOBJHOME>/Tomcat6/webapps/BOE/WEB-INF/jars to <BOBJHOME>/Tomcat6/webapps/KillSession/WEB-INF/lib

Then go to http://host:8080/KillSession/index.html

Cheers

Toby

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you!  We use this all the time, and I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why it wouldn't work after applying SP6.

Alan

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Alan,

I would recommend checking out the latest new and improved session cleanup utility that Josh Kuhn put together.  Here's a link:

Cheers

Toby

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oh, thanks for that.  Does it work in BOEXI 3.1?  We aren't migrating to 4 for some time unfortunatly.

Alan

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Not sure if he has tested it.  Maybe you could try in your sandbox or make a comment on his blog.

Thanks

Toby

former_member190781
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

This issue is most likely related with ADAPT01471342, this same bug was found in CR Server 2008 V1 and the issue was never fixed.

Regards,

Sohel

former_member182521
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karen,

The issue is related to the Stale sessions that consumes your concurrent licences. Can we check here.

http://scn.sap.com/community/bi-platform/blog/2011/05/04/businessobjects-administration-managing-ses...

Please notr this is applicable for you Crystal reports version as well.

Regards,

Mani

Former Member
0 Kudos

I reviewed the managing-sessions link that you sent.   Can you provide any additional details for item 2), for implementing an SDK to monitor and clean up stale sessions?   What would I monitor and how would I clean up stale sessions?

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Karen,

Depending on the workflow.   It sounds like you lagged in through BI LaunchPad and then clicked Crystal Enterprise, that will count as 2-Logins.  When you login through CMS to check, it will count as another login.

Every-time you use a tool it counts as a login.

Regards,

Ajay