Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Career in SAP for a mechanical engineer?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am a Mechanical Engineer having 6 years ex. in Mechanical R&D and for last 3 years I am in pre - sales of 3D CAD software now I want to switch my profile to SAP so kindly suggest me :

1. SAP is the right option for me? If yes then which module?

2. Could I get the good job in SAP, if I do the SAP course.

Message was edited by: Colleen Hebbert - fixed up spelling in title of the word career

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

balaji_parsewar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Robin,

Before entering in SAP consider following points :

1) 9 Years of vast experience(6 of R&D + 3 of pre-sales) which is not in line with SAP.

2) If you shift to SAP, you are not utilizing at least your 6 years of R&D experience.

3) Huge compromise in salary & other benefits (Here you will join on freshers salary)

4) Risk involved in career shift

5) Whole new paradigm of SAP for a R&D professional like you.

After considering above points take conscious call.

Balaji

19 REPLIES 19

mandar_mahuli
Participant
0 Kudos

You can go for SAP MM or PS module, and as you have some sales exp you can also opt for SAP SD module.

0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

siva_vasireddy2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Robin,

it is good opting for SAP but before that you need to know what are the various Modules available in sap.

it mainly consists of few modules based on the various departments in any Enterprise

Module        Department

FI/CO           FINANCE

SD               MARKETING

MM               PURCHASING

PP               PRODUCTION

QM               QUALITY MANAGEMENT

Aboe are the Core modules,apart from them you have many New dimension modules which are the Extensions of the core modules like

CRM,SRM,EWM

some technical modules are ABAP-Programming,BASIS-Administration.

Now you can decide which Module you can Opt for,morever do not leave the job you are presently into,you need to Dedicate to learn any SAP modules and face the competitive Market.

All the Best

Shiva

0 Kudos

Hello Shiva,

Thanks for your responce..............Can u help me out by answering my following questions?

1. As  I mentioned that I am having 3 years ex. in Mechanical R&D in the starting of my carrer and now for last 3 years I am in sales profile of the mechanical design softwares, so which module is helpful for me to give an oppournity  to start work in SAP profile. I am quite interested in Finance module is this helpful for me.

2. Is it neccesary to do technical modules are ABAP-Programming,BASIS-Administration along with core modules for more ubnderstanding .

3. Salary package is not my concern but really market invites new users whether incore modules or in technical modules.

0 Kudos

Robin,

Last 3 years you worked in presale (inquiry, quotation, proposals) which is part of SD module hence go for it.

Regarding ABAP & BASIS knowledge, even SD is ocean, you grab some portion of it, its more than sufficient. I hope u got d way.

Balaji

balaji_parsewar
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Robin,

Before entering in SAP consider following points :

1) 9 Years of vast experience(6 of R&D + 3 of pre-sales) which is not in line with SAP.

2) If you shift to SAP, you are not utilizing at least your 6 years of R&D experience.

3) Huge compromise in salary & other benefits (Here you will join on freshers salary)

4) Risk involved in career shift

5) Whole new paradigm of SAP for a R&D professional like you.

After considering above points take conscious call.

Balaji

0 Kudos

I am having total 6 years ex. (3 years R&D +  3 years in Pre-Sales), so thats why I am thiking about SD (Marketing) module of SAP.

Whats your suggestion?

0 Kudos

Hi Robin,

After considering all the points mentioned by me in my previous reply, if you feel SAP will transform your career then I will advise you go for it. Suggest you to do side by side SAP SD course without leaving your current job & give a try on that basis. You will get an idea of how much distance still you need to cover? Please go through following advice of Steve Jobs:

Steve Jobs career advice -

I’m convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You’ve got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don’t settle.

Balaji

0 Kudos

Hello Sir, I am working IT industry but have done my graduation in Mechanical engineering so what SAP module will be best for me if i opt for SAP??

0 Kudos

Hi,

Go for SAP SCM /MM/SRM module  this will benefit for your.

Regards

Pitabash

0 Kudos

Hello,

I am a B.Tech Graduate in Mechanical Engineering and also have a Masters degree in it. I have 3 years work experience in Wind Energy (Renewable Energy) sector. I want to pursue a career in ERP. Can anyone suggest me which module is best for me?

0 Kudos

Hi Balaji,

My name is Royal, from India Presently working as a Engineer in Saudi Arabia.I am a Certified

PMP(PROJECT MANAGEMENT PROFESSIONAL) from PMI with BE( Mech) qualifications,having 5+ experience in project management field. I advised by many of friends to do SAP PS module to enhance my carrier further,

Dont have any clear idea about SAP PS? can anyone suggest me about the coarse? weather it will lead me to get good job opportunity along with my current qualification in the present market conditions?

Thanks in Advance!!!

ROYAL

0 Kudos

Hi Balaji,

I'm a mechanical engineer with 8 yrs of experience in Product design and development. Can you please suggest me whether SAP is suitable for my career. If so which module is appropriate for me to learn and start career in SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Go for SAP SCM /MM/SRM module  this will benefit for your.

Regards

Pitabash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am a B.Tech Graduate in Mechanical Engineering and also have a Masters degree in it. I have 3 years work experience in Wind Energy (Renewable Energy) sector. I want to pursue a career in ERP. Can anyone suggest me which module is best for me?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sir, My name is Gaurav Tare.

I have total 5 years experience in Purchase, Vendor development & supply chain.

Being customer, I used SAP from 5 years & now i have made my mind to be consultant in SAP.

There some questions in my mind for which i need your guidance.

1. As i have used SAP MM module as a customer is it good that i should choose the same, so that i can get added advantage of my 5 years which i spend in SAP MM module, do you thinhk that it will help ful.

2.As i know that there are various consultants already in market os SAP MM Module , so it will right choice to choose the same.

3. Apart from SAP MM Module which are the other module you think that i should focus so that i can grab the more opportunity considering my experience.

4. If for any SAP Module my this experience will not be counted then which SAP Module has wider scope in India.

5. This is last question. what are the best institutes for SAP Modules in India in terms of learning & giving opportunity to move forward & strengthening carrier.

Thanks,

Gaurav Tare

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am Kaustubh. I am from India. I am 25 years old. I did my graduation in Civil engineering in 2012, after that i worked on a construction site for almost 1 and 1/2 years (2012-2014). After job i did my post-graduation in Infrastructure Business, which I’ve did from a useless college (2014-2016). Now i am working as a Technical Assistant in a construction firm from last 1 month.

I went to ATOS SAP center to inquire about SAP and the counselor there told me to go for SAP-PS.

I have some queries which I request you to resolve because I got lots of idea about SAP from your site only.

My queries are:-

1) What are the prerequisite for SAP-PS?

2) What is the scope of SAP-PS in construction industry in INDIA and ABROAD?

3) Being a Civil engineer, is it good for me to go for SAP-PS?

4) Somebody told me that it is worthless to directly pursue SAP-PS without having idea of Programming. Is it true?

5) What would be my salary range (in INR)? Because it cost around 4 lakh to pursue SAP-PS and I have already wasted 4 lakhs of rupees for my PG.

6) What would be my job profile after pursuing SAP-PS certification?

7) I’ve heard that after certification, it takes a long time to get placed. Is it so?

😎 I’ve heard you need to have prior experience of SAP to get placed.

9) I’ve heard that is it very difficult for fresher to get a job after pursuing SAP certification as most of the companies only takes/ prefer candidates who have prior experience of SAP

Please guide me as I want to pursue SAP-PS certification. <<removed personal contact details>>

Thanking you…!!

Message was edited by: Colleen Hebbert - personal contact details removed as per SCN rules. Please edit your profile to share information

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm NARESH i would like to join SAP. I have 22 years and my streem is Mechanical.what i do for working in SAP.