cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what are the major advantages and disadvantages if planning plant created as Centralized or Decentralized

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear PM guru's

what are the advantages and disadvantages if i created one planning plant for several maintenance plants. how the goods issue will be occur in centralized planning plant, when i am creating maintenance order, my order will based on planning plant and when i am selecting reference object, maintenance plant will be different. If i want to change some components in that particular order, how system will check the stock position of the spare material. how the stores person will issue the material against maintenance order? i am little bit confusing while booking the spares consumption. please clarify my doubts which are involved in centralized planning plant and decentralized planning plant.

regards

JK

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member1341210
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Jayakrishna,

There is are no major advantages and disadvantages with Centralized or De-Centralized mapping of SAP-PM org. And as Maheswaran KD mentioned it purely depends on how physical org. structure exists.

You may have a scenario where three different lines commisoned at different time interval and client may want to treat it as different plants altogther (all different profit centers) then you may go for centralized mapping where storage location would be centralized and procurement of spares and services are done for all the three lines.

Considering the same scenario but three different storage locations exist for 3 different line then you will have to go with de-centralized mapping.

In both the cases you will have to be careful with master data (planning plant and maintenance plant) and authorization aspect.

I witnessed this scenario myself

Cheers!!

TOM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Planning Plant & Maintenance Plant structure is purely based on how the physical org. structure exists.

Generally, Planning Plant will be responsible for Labors, Services & Components. All the work centers & components are created, planned & issued in Planning plant level. This is common practice even though you can create work centers & components at Maintenance Plant & use them.

1. If only one Maintenance team & one spare parts location for multiple physical locations, then go for centralized Maintenance.
  2. If one Maintenance team & multiple spare parts location, then go for De-centralized Maintenance as per the Plant & Storage Locations defined in MM module.

This also includes considering the Authorization of goods issue (if multiple stores & multiple store keepers) & Confirmation point of view (multiple teams & multiple time keeping in-charges) for planning plant level.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Regarding this planning plant i already raised a query. Physically its one location, but as per business requirement, they divide the number of plants in mm module as logistic plant (manufacturing units). Physically there only one storage location, but in sap they going to create multiple storage locations with respective of different profit centers. In physically they have three different units in one location and currently they booking the cost against the unit wise like spinning unit, weaving unit and processing unit. for these three units production maintenance departments are different but electrical maintenance and utilities maintenance are common for these three units. If i made one planning plant for these three units how the stores consumption will book, how the reporting will trigger? and my client asking me capacity planning report at client wise also. one more question i have, maintenance work centers are maintenance plant specific, how i can get this report. is it possible to issue the material against maintenance order from different plant?

regards

jkm

Former Member
0 Kudos