cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone tried Personas on Win8RT/Win8Pro Tablets ?

former_member184221
Contributor
0 Kudos

I am interested in using SAP Screen Personas on Windows Tablets for on-line mobile usage within a Maintenance Plant / Manufacturing Plant running ECC.

I assume there would be no problem using a Windows 8 Pro Tablet, but I wonder has anyone tried it ? And can you get a mainly touch rather than keyboard look and feel from the Personas ?

However I wonder if Personas will work on the Metro app based Windows 8 RT Tablets? presumably not.

Please share if you are able, thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

TobiasQueck
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Yes, I have tested Personas on a Windows 8 Pro device i.e. Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2. It should operate on any tablet powered by an Intel Atom processor that runs Windows 8 Pro (not on  Windows 8 RT tablet). It is very much a desktop paradigm on a tablet device. Feedback from customers that saw the screens was that it looked great. They were excited to see SAP running on a tablet device.

If you want to see it, watch the 6-minute video of the DemoJam Opening Act at TechEd Las Vegas 2012, http://www.sapvirtualevents.com/teched/sessiondetails.aspx?sId=3454 (at 5.30 we switch to the tablet).

Having said this, I would like to say that Personas has been designed for the desktop use and I would think carefully about using it on a mobile device. Yes, you can use Personas to make screens very simple to use on a smaller screen by removing all the fields you do not need and enlarging the buttons, text, etc. This will yield a simplified screen that still has a classic click and type interaction model.

When I use my tablet or mobile phone, I am used to zooming in/out with two fingers or swiping to get to the next screen. In many cases, I rotate the screen depending on what I am looking at. All this would be missing, so I personally would only use Personas in a mobile scenario if there is no way to get a 'real' mobile app for my use case. And, if I was assured of sufficient network connectivity to ensure that my session did not get interrupted.

Cheers,

Tobias.

former_member184221
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answer, I take your point on pinch and rotation.

As you probably gathered from my profile, I am mainly a mobility guy, but I am coming to the conclusion that if you can justify within a company an always-connected tablets scenario , then Personas may well have a big role in Mobility of SAP screens.

I will be pitching this argument with a large Manufacturing/Maintenance Company on Wednesday, so we will see how it goes.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As far as I know, Silverlight is not supported on Surface RT devices. The current version of Personas requires Silverlight. Future versions wil use pure HTML5 and so should work on mobile platforms but there are no promises yet about availability. For now, the only mobile device Personas will work on is Surface Pro.

Steve.

former_member184221
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeh, I agree with your thinking r.e. Silverlight. Roll on HTML5