cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Report String Parameter max length

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can someone please confirm the max length of string parameter in Crystal Reports?

Thanks,

Syed

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

vitaly_izmaylov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

An official string, text, memo field, command object sql limit in Crystal Reports is always 64K.

I do remember testing more than 1K string parameter passing to a stored procedure. User used parameter to pass custom SQL statement. If this is your case please remove all line breaks or other formating symbols from the string and make sure the custom SQL does not change the whole stored procedure records set.  

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all for reply, just to explain more about requirement.

My requirement is that an application need to pass a comma separated values/ID's '1,2,3....'

in one string and report need to be generate for each of ID and export to PDF.

process is working fine except my team want to know the maximum length of character can be passed. we are using Crystal report 2008 and version is 12.4.0.96.

I passed a string parameter i.e. '1,2,3.....1000'  which had length of around 3998 and report does work.

so not sure what is the limit as passing more than 3998 character length parameter is seems not working.

Vitaly says range string, text, memo field, command object sql limit in Crystal Reports is always 64K, however seems not true for parameters.

Thanks

Syed

vitaly_izmaylov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Syed,

I mentioned the size of SQL command object for a reason, because if your parameter is a part of records selection formula, then the whole parameter string would be added to your sql string.

You would be limited not by parameter size, but the whole SQL size.

I just tested 7K size parameter and it still works.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Vitaly.

vitaly_izmaylov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

56K works as well

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

not a db question. moved to Design forum

0 Kudos

May be 256 or could be 512 but it could also be 1K. Depends on the version of CR Designer you are using.

If you need to use strings longer than that you may want to redesign the report and parameter

jyothirmayee_s
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Maximum is 65k chars.

Thanks,

Jothi