cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-importing subreports - wrong version is pulled in

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm using Crystal Reports 11 and have 2 reports that share a common sub report.

I edited the sub report and attempted to reimport the edited sub report into the 2 main reports. However this action reimported the original sub report rather than the copied one.

I know that if I delete the subreport from the location where it was originally linked from, the re-import will prompt me to specify the file location.  However, I have no idea where that path is.  Is it possible to identify where the report is being imported from?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suzanne,

Do you see any difficulty in putting the modified sub report back into the main using the 'insert sub report' wizard and checking the 'Existing report' radio button?

-Prathamesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are 12 linked fields, conditional suppression, and several other conditional formulas which would take an undue amount of time to replicate.  There has to be a way to see where the report is expected to be so I can place the updated file in the correct location.

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suzanne,

Did you Edit the Subreport from inside the Main Report? If yes, then this does Not modify the original report that was inserted as a Subreport. Re-importing the Subreport will cause the original subreport to be imported again getting rid of any changes that you might have done while editing it from inside the Main report.

You need to open the Subreport as a separate report, edit and save it back. When you try to Re-import the Subreport, the new copy is imported.

If you delete the Subreport from the location where it was imported from, the 'Re-import Subreport' option will not work.

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, I modified the subreport's file directly. The problem is that it is not in the original relative location, and I cannot determine where that location is.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Strange, what do you mean by 'directly'? Did you open the sub report separately in CR designer >> modified it >> and clicked on 'Save'?

Can you search your local hard disk with the sub report's name >> open it in CR Designer and check whether the changes have been really saved.

-Prathamesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

I opened the subreport through File > Open, etc. and saved. Yes, my changes are in the file. The file is just not in the location the report is looking at.

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So, the Subreport was moved to another location and you cannot determine what that original location was right?

You might have hit a roadblock Suzanne, as there is no way to find out where that subreport was being sourced from. Now that they've been moved to a new location, you would need to manually update them and make a note of the new location this time!

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Abhilash, This is what I suspected, but I was hopeful that CR was not that poorly designed. That is a terrible flaw that was not planned for.

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Here are two threads that talk about something similar:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/2145348

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3337794

There is also an Enhancement Request at Ideas Place here:

https://ideas.sap.com/ct/ct_a_view_idea.bix?c=A5E8DEA8-D886-4250-BA2B-039F7D32FFC0&idea_id=25B39C06-...

My fellow colleagues and I have voted, please do Vote Up and hopefully we'll see this corrected in a future release; if there are enough votes that is.

-Abhilash

vitaly_izmaylov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Suzanne,

The easiest way to find the subreport location is to open the main report on another machine and try to re-import the subreport. The error message will display the path.