cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can Mid-level Managers learn from Flight attendants/pilots/control tower personnel

Former Member
0 Kudos

For a long time Mid-level managers(MLM) have mentioned that they are stuck, powerless etc. Pls share suggestions to help change it.

My views are -

Imagine the position of Flight attendants, they are like MLM, then pilot/co-pilot and people in control tower as senior management. A key element is communication flow which is necessary to manage a healthy atmosphere both in normal situations and crises.

Now another question – would the communication level be the same if the customers on a plane are replaced by employees? now if this is the case, the plane transforms into a company and the communication levels are the same – then we have the fundamentals for a great culture. If its not the same, then we need to look for the reasons and fix it, otherwise despite all efforts MLM will be running blind and so will the employees/passengers.

Here is an interesting article from HBR http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2013/05/reinventing_middle_management.html#disqus_thread

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

derek_klobucher
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A lot of MLMs could probably learn a thing or two from flight attendants about critical communications, Ramesh. I've been on many flights, and I can't think of a time when flight attendants shared much information that wasn't useful and timely.

MLMs should similarly evaluate whether the information they have is better distributed up or down -- or kept where it is for the MLM to deal with. Giving information to the wrong person wastes time and bandwidth.

To your second question, Ramesh, I think the communication level would be much different if employees replaced customers on your hypothetical airplane. We'd probably see a lot fewer requests for drinks, and a lot more flight attendants burning out from having to write so many employee reviews.

Former Member
0 Kudos
Thanks Derek, agreed. Its all about sharing the right info with the right person at the right time. Also observing and communicating the right info to the right person internally( people similar to pilot, control tower personnel) at the right time would lead to right decision making.  Regarding employee reviews, not sure if it falls under occupational hazard category! 🙂 hopefully things will get better there.

Answers (0)