Datawindow Argument Not able to create second argument

Former Member
0 Kudos

PB Version

Powerbuilder 11.5.1 build 4011.

PC

64 Bit Windows 7.

Problem

Unable to create a second datawindow argument. I get the following error: "Column 2 has an invalid name and/or length"

Steps to recreate

Create a new datawindow type doesn't matter, and GUI or syntax yield same result. Add an argument, then attempt to add a second argument. When I click ok i get the above error.

Current workaround

Adding a third argument then deleting the second argument allows me to add two arguments. Now if I want to add more that two arguments it is a complete mess and I have trouble getting more than two.

I feel like its a 64 bit issues, as my old 32 bit windows XP PC does not have that issue, I tried to get the latest 11.5.1 EBF and this actually made things worse and my workaround no longer worked. And thoughts would be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for all the help, after seeing all the replies i realized it was probably something on my end. So I started disabled programs until i found the one causing the issue. It was FileBox eXtender causing the problem, only an issue on 64 bit though strange.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I also have this problem and had FileBox eXtender installed. I disabled it and it fixed my problem. Thanks!

Answers (10)

Answers (10)

Former Member
0 Kudos

had the same problem on PB12.5.2 PB12.6 on a newly installed computer

Found out that disabling the service

"Touch Keyboard and Handwritting Panel Service"

made my PowerBuilders smile

guess i'm not gonna miss that service

/Georgios

Former Member
0 Kudos

Same Problem Here With PB 11.5.

Seems that the problem is any application that alters the Title Bar, I disabled the TeamViewer Quick Connect Feature, and fix my problem. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are using a HP or a DELL Machine with the windows pre installed then you need to stop and remove some services from HP/DELL the biometrical autentication service or some similar name.

tobias
Explorer
0 Kudos

Do I understand right, that this error has to do with something which is not PB and everyone has another fix for that??

Former Member
0 Kudos

A little update...

1. The problem does not exhibit itself on my personal 64 Bit Windows 7 laptop, regardless of which version of PowerBuilder I run; this seems to support the notion that the issue is somehow tied to device drivers.
  2. My work Desktop (also 64 Bit Windows 7) has a dual screen setup with an Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset, and the problem shows up in PowerBuilder 10.0 and 12.5.
  3. With item #2 in mind, I find it interesting that on my work Desktop, PowerBuilder 8.0 does NOT have the problem, and if I export the datawindow out of PB 8 and into PB 12.5, all is well.
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dale;

My 64 bit laptops are OK as well. If I recall correctly, it was typically related to a specific type of biometric scanner device driver.

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the same problem on 12.1. I used to add a third argument that was the same as the second and then delete the second, but that stopped worked. So now I just edit the source.

Former Member
0 Kudos

i recall this being reported on the old newsgroups.  i think it had to do with a video driver of all things.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You should be able to find references to this issue in the old newsgroups.  IIRC, it is / can be related to the use of certain drivers (display, multi-monitor, etc.) . And technically speaking, your version is not supported on Win7, much less the 64bit version.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ummm, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe PowerBuilder 11.5.1 (all builds and EBFs) are officially supported on Window 7, both 32 and 64 bit versions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is a difference between support for the IDE and support for the deployed application. In any event, the release bulletin of 11.5.1 makes no mention of Windows 7 at all - not surprising given that W7 was released after this PB build. 

Per the bulletin the following are supported:  XP, XP Tablet, Server 2003, Vista, Server 2008, 2000 (deployment only).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unless I'm not using their site correctly it looks like 12.0 was the first release certified for Win7.

http://certification.sybase.com/ucr/productDetail.do?certId=2887&productId=

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark;

You are correct ... PB 12.x was the first certified verion for W7.

FYI:  http://certification.sybase.com

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have to disagree, back in 2011 one of my clients specifically asked Sybase which versions of PowerBuilder were certified for Windows 7 and they responded by saying PB 11.5.  I'm quite sure I have the documentation at home and can provide it if necessary.  That said, if I recall correctly, as late as Spring of 2011, the Sybase web site (on the sales side of the house) was touting PB 11.5 as being certified for Windows 7.

Long story short, I know for a fact that 11.5.something carried a Windows 7 certification.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Found it...

Per the "ReadMe" for EBF titled, "Sybase Rollup EBF 17622" dated 28-Jan-2010:

Microsoft Windows 7

PowerBuilder 11.5.1 (build 4675 or higher) Supports Microsoft Windows 7.

URL: http://origin2.sybase.com/swx/13318/EBF17622_README.html

So, the above said, the OP, who is running build 4011, is not running a "supported" version of 11.5.1.  Sorry, my bad.

Former Member
0 Kudos

For what its worth I did install build 5097, and it made things worse as I stated in the original post. I still think there is an issue that all these various things cause adding an argument in a datawindow to not work. I mean if installing video drivers/finger print scanners/ random productivity software all cause the same issue, then the issue is the PB IDE. If it was unique to me then I wouldn't say that.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've encountered this issue on a laptop (Win 7 Pro, 64 bit) and have never been able to resolve it. The only workaround has been to use "Edit Source" rather than the painter to edit DataWindows.

Others who have encountered this message have reported being able to work around the issue by disabling fingerprint readers and/or third-party monitor utilities.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Same issue with PowerBuilder 12.5.2.