cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSM 10 - Change Thresholds color display

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I'm experiencing the following challenge in this requirement. My client has some KPI that he evaluates within a range. In other words he wants to see the following configuration for the threshold colors:

For example: infinite negative to 10 = red

10 to 50                   = blue

50 to 70                  = green

70 to 100                = blue

100 to infine            = red

So if the score of the KPI is 45 then the color is blue, and if it is 75 then it is also blue.

As I have seen in SSM 10 you can't change the order the colors are set. I mean, dark green is first, light green second, then yellow, orange and finally red.

Has anyone face this requirement?

Maybe I'm missing something. If I create this measure in the PAS model with a Reduction type of score then, would it change the format of the colors?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Christian

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member182649
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Christian,

From your description that looks as though you want to set that KPI up as an Absolute KPI ie that the best performance is right on target and that performance is assessed as getting worse the further away from that point it gets in either direction. The classic example of this is Inventory where you don't want too much or too little.

If you look at section 3.2.1.3 of the Configuration Help guide sbop_sm_config_server_help.pdf you will see the different options and formulas.

Hope this helps

Regards

Colin Cooper

Former Member
0 Kudos

To build on what Colin has said, some clients mistake actual for score. The actual on it's own should be meaningless. It might be tonnes, units per manyday, dollors spent etc. Only when compared to a target does it take on meaning. It is then that we we see the scoring. The two most common scores are achievement (e.g. sales) or reduction (e.g. expense). The third is absolute. For absolute and divergence from the target (either above or below) is bad.

In your example the actuals may range from infinite positive to infinte negative but the score will be calculated from actual and target in such a way as to create a score of 100 when actual equals target and to produce lower scores when actual does not match target.

If your target is 60, then an actual of 50 - 70 will score 80 or above. You set 80 and above as green.

An actual of 10 or an actual of 110 will produce the same score, about 18 or so and you will define this as red.

Note in your case the variance above and below your target are asymetrical. Your lower blue range is 40 wide and your upper is 30 wide. If this is deliberate you can achieve it by replacing the standard Absolute scoring formula with one of your own.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Colin,

Im facing this same requirement (the same color for opposite values), I've already checked the document you mentioned, but I dont see that any of this formulas can solve the requirement, do you know which one can work out?

Thanks a lot!!

former_member182649
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ingrid,

Is the problem that within the KPI structure you can have positive and negative values and need to ensure that the calculation formulas deliver the right ones?

If so have a look at this thread Calculating KPIs with negative targets

Regards

Colin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Colin,

not exactly, the case the client needs is just like the example of Christian:

infinite negative to 10 = red

10 to 50                   = blue

50 to 70                  = green

70 to 100                = blue

100 to infine            = red

so I need red even if the value is 10 or 100.

Thanks!!

former_member182649
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ingrid,

Have a read of Cliff's comment above as I think it describes things well.

If I understand correctly the ideal Actual value is between 50 and 70 and the further you get away from this point in either direction the worse the performance.

This is what the Absolute calculation is all about. Using the example of inventory you want between 50 and 70 items of inventory and the further you diverge from this the worse things get. You either have too little stock so run out or too much and your warehouse is stuffed full and the Finance Director is pulling their hair out at the cost!

Either way remember that the thresholds you are setting are based on the Score and not on the Actual.

You need to work through what the score will be at the different values and then set your thresholds accordingly. The underlying rationale for the Score is that you do not need to be an expert in the actual and target values to be able to see how well you are performing and the thresholds guide you how serious the situation is.

For example using an Absolute calculation:

Actual = 85.00 Target = 99.75 Score = 85.21

Actual = 99,75 Target = 99.75 Score = 100

Actual = 110.25 Target = 99.75 Score = 89.47

Hope this helps.

Regards

Colin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Colin,

thanks for answering,

I'll show you a specific case to make it clear. I have a KPI; here the values:

In this case, the absolute and score values are almost the same,

JanFebMarAprMay
TAR202272279287293
DEV317305297304316
Absolute63.54589.93594.65494.83292.732
Score63.722489.1803393.9393994.4078992.72152

And the colors I need are: Red >=80 & <90

Green >=90 & <=100

Yellow > 100 & <=110

Red  >110 & <=115

The colors I gave to the KPI:

So, the colors I would expect are: for January=no value and no color, because is not in the limits,

Feb=Red, Mar=Green, Apr=Green, May=Green.

But as you can see I cannot specify this limits in the traffic lights options.

Thanks!!

former_member182649
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ingrid,

You have given me the Target values but what are the Actual values?

Regards

Colin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Colin,

you are right, I wrote it wrong:

here is the correct one:

JanFebMarAprMay
ACT202272279287293
TAR317305297304316
Absolute63.54589.93594.65494.83292.732
TARDEV63.722489.1803393.9393994.4078992.72152
Thanks!
former_member182649
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ingrid,

Applying the Absoltute calculation I can see that the Score you had calculated in your post of 15 Aug at 17.51 were correct. Those are the score figures I come up with as well.

But you have to think around the nature of a Score. It is the comparison of an Actual with a Target and in the case of an Absolute the highest Score value you can get is 100 ie that the Actual is exactly what you have set your Target to be. Any deviation from this (up or down) and your performance is less good so your Score will decrease.

This means that in your threshold values you cannot have any value that is higher than 100. What you need to think through when setting your thresholds is the scale of deviation from your target where you want your colours to change.

To use a simple example if you are going to be dark green if you are within 1% of your target, light green if you are within 3% of your target, light red if you are within 7% of your target and dark red if you are more than 9% adrift of your target then you would set your thresholds as 99, 97, 93, 91.

If you don't think about the raw figures and think instead about how you want to show how far your performance is straying from the ideal then it becomes easier to visualise.

Hope this helps

Regards

Colin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Colin,

Thanks for answering, that is a new perspective of scores, so I only have to analize this with my group, maybe I'll write later.

Rgrds!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have to agree with Colin. An absolute score can never go over 100. So you might say 90 - 100 is green, 80 - 90 is yellow and < 80 is red. The nature of an absolute score is that if actual exceeds target it will go down. If actual is less than target it will also go down. If actual matches target the score is 100.

Cliff

former_member260594
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Christian,

You can change the image files used for the index value gauges and status indicators as per KBA 1811796 but unfortunately these changes are global and I don't know of a way to isolate to them to jsut a few KPIs.

Regards,

Graham