cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to update the exchange rate table?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

I'm trying to automate the import of changed exchange rates into the central table...but due of the case, that an ExchangeRate-BO is read only, I'm searching for another, possible solution...any idea out there?

Thank you,

Marc

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nitschket
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

BO Exchange Rate is not released, and it is not supposed to be released. The design of currency & exchange rates requires a certain consistency between instances of that business object that hampers a direct usage in ByD Studio implementations.

Instead, a number of web services has been or will be provided to consume exchange rates.

1. There is mechanism to pull exchange rates from a provider (for example, another ERP or legacy system) on a regular basis using a mass data run object. This methodology is used in SAP Cloud for Travel – steps necessary to implement the process are described in the respective integration guide.
  2. The current solution provides a simple excel upload (needs to be manually triggered from the user interface). The excel content could automatically be created by an external solution. Certainly, not quite suitable for automation.
  3. We are about to release a new pair of A2X services with release 1308 (no final decision on delivery) that allow reading exchange rates from and writing them into the system. Based on these web services even new excel down- and upload services will be provided. The web services will be released for public usage. They will appear in the service explorer. Technically: QueryExchangeRateIn_V1 / http://sap.com/xi/AP/IS/CurrencyAndExchangeRates/Global and   ManageExchangeRateIn / http://sap.com/xi/AP/IS/CurrencyAndExchangeRates/Global 
  4. Another web service (does not help in this case) provides the possibility to convert amounts based on the exchange rates in the system: FinancialMarketDataManagementConvertAmountIn in namespace http://sap.com/xi/AP/IS/CurrencyAndExchangeRates/Global

I hope this gives some idea. For the problem described in the thread option 3 would be appropriate.

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

Thank you for your (detailed) answers. As for now, I've implemented (2) using our own web service to get an actual excel-file generated with the currency exchange rates. As well as (3) is public, I'll try to use this for an automatic update.

Best regards & thank you again,

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

please can you explain me how i can configure the two Web service to update automatically the exchange rate into my BYD system?

thank you.

Ilaria

nitschket
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Ilaria,

I do not know if understand the question correctly. And, since I am not working in that area anymore I can just provide to ideas for further investigation:

1. The two web services mentioned above are designed to push exchange rates into a ByDesign system. Hence, there can be no configuration inside the ByDesign system that would control a regular update of the exchange rates. The external system that calls the web services needs to provide the function for regular execution. If you want to pull exchange rates regularly then option 1 in the above comment would be an appropriate solution. But I cannot tell if and how this option is supported in current ByDesign releases.
  2. If you just want to know how to activate and use the web service then please have a look into the 'Service Explorer' in work center 'Application and User Management'.

Thomas

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, I never used the ExchangeRate BO, but if what you can do is to get always the current exchange rate, you can use an ExternalWebServiceIntegration to use a public web service that gets you the current exchange rate, I don't know if that's what you're looking for.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

Yes, that's what I want - we've a simple SOAP WebService which delivers actual exchange rates and we want to integrate this service into byDesign....but I'm not sure, where I had to interact with the system. I've looked into the ExchangeRate BO - but this object is 'read-only'...or could I 'extend' this BO to be able to interact with the web service?

Sorry, but I'm very new in byDesign development and didn't have the whole overview where to 'hook' in 😉

Thank you,

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, it depend on your use case, you can create your own BO and use an action to call the web service

anantharaman_l
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Not really. You can create your own BO and populate it with the data from the webserivce. But it's not the same as updating the ExchangeRate BO. The ExchangeRate BO is internally used in all the financial applications and hence even if you create your own BO, the financial transactions still do not use the value stored in your own BO.

Best Regards

Anantharaman L

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yeah, that's right and it's something that you need to consider, as I said, all depend on your use case

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

Hmmm...I need to 'overwrite' the internal ExchangeRate BO so all other stuff inside ByD which uses this object will automatically get the 'live' exchange rates delivered by our webservice. But If I get your right, that's not possible, cause if I need to create my own BO, all other financial stuff won't use it - only my own stuff...?!

My idea:

If you use ConvertCurrency for example, ByD will use the internal ExchangeRate BO which lookup the core database table for the exchange rate. This value isn't up-to-date until you import a new migration template which actual rates put in that excel sheet. I hope I could hook the ExchangeRate BO so it take it's value from our webservice instead of the core table...

...alternativly, I find a way to periodic & automatically update the core table with the exchange rates...

Regards,

Marc

anantharaman_l
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Hooking up to the core table is not possible as ByD only exposes BOs and not any internal tables on which the BO is based on.

Also for the second approach where you'd like to populate the ExchangeRate BO via the external service, the BO should have been write enabled.

Best Regards

Anantharaman L

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark, another thing you can do is raise an incident and ask for write enablement of the ExchangeRate BO, then create your own BO and implement the logic to update it, or also you can call the WS from a event from the ExchangeRate.