SAP for Mill Products Discussions
Explore conversations about production optimization, resource utilization, and quality control using SAP in the mill products industry. Join in or start your own!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linear Asset Management

nazarene_madriaga
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Has anyone implemented SAP Linear Asset Management?

Any thoughts if do we really need to implement the web based SAP Netweaver?

Any mobilization strategy you can suggest on this?

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nazarene_madriaga
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Siddhartha,

I'd like to know your opinion on how to maintain welds?

We have a scenario with regards to welds on tracks. Let's say 800m the distance per weld, they need to replace 1 specific weld. when maintaining, they have to cut out a specific weld then they have to put in 2 new welds.

Regards,

Nazarene

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

former_member190456
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please see status below.

Some Customers :

• Prorail, Holland, Eskom, South Africa, Northern Territory Government, Australia, EDIA, Portugal, Utilities

A Customer Video sharing some Business value:

http://www12.sap.com/asset/index.epx?id=228b5476-7514-4951-a2c5-057dd07b1572&name=Maximize-the-Safet...

Components needed:

SAP ECC 6.0, SAP NetWeaver Portal, SAP NetWeaver BI

Mobility; On Roadmap

Regards

Vimal

0 Kudos

Thanks Vimal,

I was also in the verge of looking an end to end process on how to implement this as I do not have any background from rail operations and wish to learn how to go about implementing this and with the help also of the GIS system integration to SAP.

Regards,

nazarene

0 Kudos

Hi Nazarene,

I have found one document related to this hope this will be helpful. Please find the link below

Presentation on Linear Asset management on ASUG.

http://events.asug.com/2012AC/2610_Managing_Linear_Assets_A_The_Role_of_Data_In_Maximizing_ROI.pdf

Guidelines to Utility Work and Asset Management Process to SAP PM Process Mapping

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/b05e2f98-0e8d-2e10-819c-e78be694e...

GIS Integration Strategy for SAP Enterprise Asset Management:

https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/147849-102-1-317175/GIS@SAP_EAM.pdf

ESRI Presentation on Integrating GIS with SAP

http://esriaustralia.com.au/u/lib/cms/keepingittight_sap.pdf

Regards,

Pratik

0 Kudos

Hi Nazarene

Implemented Linear asset management with GIS and did some strategy around mobility for it.

Hope below information help you

1. System Requirements

Linear Asset Management is a available from Enhancement Pack 5 (EHP 5) if you are on EHP 6 could get more with additional functionality of LAM with object links in SAP .
  2. Functionality :

LAM helps businesses in dynamic segmentations where properties of an Equipment / Functional location in your case roads/ Railways .

For example if there is a road of 100 km which you want to represent as a FL or EQ and its attributes change along the length of the road  best way to represent this using LAM where this information can be characteristics that can be maintained on the FL/EQ with a start and end references .

0-20 KM is of Bitumen ,
    20 – 50 km is Gravel road
    50 – 100 is Concrete 
  3. How to Approach Implementation

Step 1: Identify the Linear assets you want to represent in the system and analyse if all of them can go into same category or need multiple category and then decide on other standard PM key data like object type and classes for them

In the implementation  I did had 1 category with linear assets and had different object types differentiating the roads , surfaces, path ways, etc  for each object type managed to have a class

Step 2: Identify the Linear attributes and define them as characteristics 

How do LAM and GIS work together ?

GIS helps in Visualisation of the Linear data  one of the use case will be when you see a road or pipeline or Rail on the map as a line or polygon sure will help the users to see the change in attributes along the line / polygon .

one of other use case will be when a user wants to run maintenance costs report on a particular section of road with Lam being activated can easily run the report in iw38 using the linear parameters and the use the resultant orders plotted on a map to visualise

Please let me know if you are looking for any specific info in LAM , GIS or mobilisation will be happy to help where ever possible

Regards

Siddhartha Ampolu

0 Kudos

Thank you Siddhartha for the information.

Are the characteristics created manually as I was looking for some standard characteristics after implementing EHP5 and activating the LAM feature.

I am also curious how the link is setup where you have a weblink in the FL, then it will directly point to you in the map where exactly is the FL located.

Did you use any specific BAPIs or custom programs to achieve this?

Regards

Nahz

0 Kudos

Hi Nazarene

Activating EHP 5 gets you the functionality it will not get the data required  (characteristics, class, LRP setup)  Based on the requirement you will need to create the required data.  What type of assets you want to represent using LAM will see if i can come up with some example characteristics ..

with respect to GIS you eill need to custom build teh interface to polt an Equipment / functional location on the map . Do you have any specific requirement to see the linear attributes (characteristics)  also on map ?

LAM helps in linear representation but donot give standard out of thee box GIS capability will need to buy a GIS system and integrate it with SAP for the same . Let me know if you are looking for more info .

Regards

Siddhartha Ampolu

0 Kudos

Thanks Siddhartha,

I might as well gather more info from the business what do they really need for their monitoring, etc. in establishing characteristics data..

btw, would you happen to have a sample POC (proof of concept) for this? I wanted to learn how can I formulate my document and present it to the business as we are near approaching the upgrade for EHP6.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Nazarene

nazarene_madriaga
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Siddhartha,

I'd like to know your opinion on how to maintain welds?

We have a scenario with regards to welds on tracks. Let's say 800m the distance per weld, they need to replace 1 specific weld. when maintaining, they have to cut out a specific weld then they have to put in 2 new welds.

Regards,

Nazarene

0 Kudos

Hi Nazarene

It comes back to how you maintain the tracks in the technical object structure ,

Assuming weld in your case is the junction where two tracks are welded. means weld is point asset and not linear. (please let me know if its otherwise meaning weld is maintained as linear asset)

Can you help me with following info to help u further

1. Are you considering tracks between two welds as a FL or EQ in the system ? If let me know help with a different approach ?
  2. How are you representing the welds in the system ?

Weather a weld is linear or point following approaches can be applied based on what maintennace information you want to have at each weld 

If you need to know maintenance history at each weld and the associated cost you may maintain them as a equipments installed on the track,

• For the scenario you have old weld will be dismantled and two new welds will be installed on the track at the respective places. When you execute the costing reports at track level for given time period it will show all the 3 welds maintenance costs 

If all you care is about condition and inspection of the weld not care about any maintenance history (notifications , work done at each of the weld, ) have each weld as a measurement point on the track and do condition inspections by creating measurement documents .

• In case of welds being maintained as measurement points all you do is de activate the point and and create two new points

Regards

Siddhartha Ampolu

+61406366180

0 Kudos

Hi Siddhartha,

Thank you for clarifying.

Actually, we are still in the midst of setting up the master data and how to go about these kind of approach.

In representing welds, we may have to discuss this internally (or better plan a site visit) so that we can visualize what can be done to achieve this.

You're right. We need to understand further if this should or should not have any maintenance history or if there is a need to create a master data out of it.

Regards,

Nazarene

0 Kudos

Great will be interested to know which approach is taken and why ,

If your Q is answered can you please mark it as answered and close this thread .