Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to backup and recover sap database

varman_geek
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear experts...

I have installed SAP IDES on windows 64B as a virtual machine.

The VM is configured with 2 HDD.

Disk 0 = C drive (windows server 2008 enterprise R2)

Disk 1= D drive (where all my sap and sybase installation resides)

All of a sudden i have got some issue in VM where i can't boot the OS. Some how i have managed to backup the VMDSK files. The C drive cant be recovered but i have recovered the Disk 1 (D drive) file and mounted it to another fresh installed virtual Windows server (say VM1)

I can see the sap and sybase directories on it.

Now i am planning to install fresh copy of IDES in another VM (say VM2). But i need the data from the crashed system as lot of trial programs have been developed which need to be used for future training purpose.

Please guide how to take backup of the sybase DB which is in the Disk 1 D drive and restore them into freshly installed SAP IDES server (VM2).

Our team badly need those data for training purpose. Please help me.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

You may try to :

- save the recovered D drive , make sure you have a good copy somewhere.  

- on the new VM , install SAP Netweaver fomr scratch (i.e. SAP software , ASE software ), choose the same layout as for the original database. Choose the same SID to make things easy.

- shutdown SAP and ASE server

- copy over the file D:\sybase\<DBSID>\sybsystem\master.dat to the corresponding location on the new server . Do this also for the other files in  D:\sybase\<DBSID>\sybsystem\

-  copy the files D:\sybase\<DBSID>\sapdata_1\data<DBSID>_1.dat and   D:\sybase\<DBSID>\saplog_1\log<DBSID>_1.dat

from the recovered VM disk to the same location in the new VM.

Do this for all other database devices files you created for the <DBSID> database.

- Restart system.

SAPINST also provides option to do system copy with DB copy , but I ma unsure whether it works easily in you situation. (this option assume the source database is available)

HTH

Tilman

varman_geek
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Tilman

Thank you for your answer I try as per your post and will revert back to you for further clarifications..

varman_geek
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Tilman,

You suggession worked. But one small change.

The following step is not needed it seems.

"- copy over the file D:\sybase\<DBSID>\sybsystem\master.dat to the corresponding location on the new

server . Do this also for the other files in  D:\sybase\<DBSID>\sybsystem\"

Because after copying the files on the above steps the database in not connecting properly and so the diskp+work fails to connect with message server. And found on the sybase log that the old sybsytem files has some reference which not suits to the fresh installed version. Then ignored the above step and i just copied the sapdata_1 and saplog_1 folder. Now the instance is up and everything is fine.

Additionally i found that we should also restore the profiles (.pfl) files to the fresh installation.

Thank you for your idea.

Answers (0)