Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share Experience [career change from JAVA to SAP ]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

So many people might have asked " I am a Java developer.. which module suits my profile " ? !!

Even I wanna change my career from Java to SAP !!

So whoever changed their career from Java to SAP , could you please share your experience with us ?

It would be helpful for us if you mention below details !

1. Years of experience you had before moving into SAP .

2. Which SAP module

3. How did you learn that module ? ( Training centres/ if self study- useful urls if you have !! / Personal mentor-on the job training).

4. How do you feel about your current job ?

We can learn a lot of things if you share all these details with us.

Regards,

VIVEK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

I am an IT student. I have good knowledge on Java. After completing my graduation with some of my friends suggestion i started learning SAP ABAP. I was comfortable with that and i felt ABAP is  much easier than JAVA. Moreover as i know object oriented concepts before it became easy for me to learn the object oriented ABAP concepts.  Later i moved to SAP CRM which is full of Object oriented coding and now i am comfortably working on SAP CRM.

Regards,

DP.

11 REPLIES 11

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

I am an IT student. I have good knowledge on Java. After completing my graduation with some of my friends suggestion i started learning SAP ABAP. I was comfortable with that and i felt ABAP is  much easier than JAVA. Moreover as i know object oriented concepts before it became easy for me to learn the object oriented ABAP concepts.  Later i moved to SAP CRM which is full of Object oriented coding and now i am comfortably working on SAP CRM.

Regards,

DP.

0 Kudos

Durga Prasad,

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience You are the 1st one !

I came to know that OOPS is used in CRM module !! Will look into that module.

Could you please tell us how did you get your first job? Did you have any training on ABAP before that?

Regards,

Vivek

0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

Yes if we know the oops concpets then it will be a added advantage.. Mainly in SAP ABAP and CRM.

Initially i got trained on SAP ABAP  then i got a job on that.. Later they gave me training on CRM and now i am working on CRM.

Regards,

DP.

0 Kudos

Hi DP,

Being a CRM consultant (technical ) do u get to travel a lot ?

How about work pressure? ( Heard SAP is best for work - life balance ! )

Regards,

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

Initial stage you planned well Good.

You choosing SAP good, You have technical skills strong means choose SAP ABAP.

Otherwise you have business concepts interested or strong means choose SAP FM.(MM,PP,HCM, etc.,).

any SAP platform choose and Study authorized center and get SAP Certificate.

optional you can try SUP or mobile technology.

All the Best.

Regards,

Viswanathan S.

0 Kudos

Hi Viswanathan ,

Thanks for your reply

I don't want to write program whole day !.

If I go for ABAP, CRM I think I need to code a lot.

And FICO, PP are completely functional which need business knowledge.

I am planning for either BI or PI ..

Regards,

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

Have you finally changed your career to SAP? If so, to which module and how? Please share the details since I am also looking for such a change.

Thanks,

Renu

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

I have worked in Java for 2 and half years.

I have interest towards SAP and learned ABAP module looking for project currently.

ABAP is much easy compared to Java. Java helps u in learning ABAP with ease.

If you are really intrested in coding u can try for ABAP or CRM .

Else go with FunctionalModule.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

For Java developer there are many options, If you know Java Scripting then go for SAPUI5. SAP is moving there web development with SAPUI5 which is nothing but jQuery.

SAPUI5 is now on demand skill.

Second option for you is SAP HANA Application development.Now days everyone talking about SAP HANA so its booming in market. Your role can be application developer. SAP HANA environment is nothing but Eclipse and all coding is similar to Java. Go to https://open.sap.com

here you will get free courses on HANA Development.

And the last option for you is SAP ABAP.

Thanks,

Sagar Kandalgaonkar

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am currently working as a technical consultant. I have 3 years of Exp... I would like to switch my career to development and have chosen SAP.

I am bit confused about my career.  Can any one help with the module and their prerequisite. I have knowledge on OOP's concepts.

Is that true if i am switching my career to SAP i have to work in contract basis for some time and then i will get a permanent job role.

Thanks in advance....