cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EHS - QM interface: test requirements defined on ingretient level

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good morning all,

We are currently investigating the EHS-QM interface.

To our understanding, data in QM is created (material level) based on EHS data is only transferred when these EHS data are maintained on the directly linked specification.

We have however test requirements that originate from the different ingredients.

In the mapping table (CGQM) we can specify a composition VAT, adding specific subid's. This allows us to pass on this ingredient to the inspection plan together with concentration ranges.

If we do not specify a composition in the mapping table, no data are transferred from the ingredient to the inspection plan.

Any suggestions how this may be solved?

Worst case scenario, we have to copy data from the ingredients to the real substance level.

Kind regards,

Luk

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Luk,

I can't really help you but I'm very curious as to how well this winds up working for you.  We tested this a few years back and found it very difficult to utilize. In particular when you try to create plans from EHS only a very small amount of the inspection plan functionality could be utilized. 

We had problems with using sampling procedures and DMR.  Customer specs were also not able to be taken into consideration.  I believe there were also some cross-plant issues when we did this too but I can't remember.

It would be really great if you'd be able to write something up in a Blog or a document about the general issues and functionalities you find.  Like what are the general guidelines you'd have to live with if you use the EHS-QM interface?  What are the general benefits you get?  What maintenance is required over the long term.  What do we lose on the QM side that we can't use.  etc.. etc..

FF

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Luk

may be switch to "EHS FORUM" . In any case: I am working in EH&S now for some years. In contact with other companies using SAP (and EHS) I found no company using the EHS - QM interface. Years ago I placed myself a question in EHS Forum without success..

To my knowlegde it is not possible to map value assignment types if type "B" / "C" to QM interface. To my knowledge only value assignment types of type "A" (Class/characteristic) are supported;

May be check again:

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_06/helpdata/en/31/07ff39c9696939e10000000a11402f/content.htm?framese...

Chapter: EH&S-QM Interface

but frankly I have not invested time in this interface. There was never a need to do so. Check may be Online help of SAP (refer above). With higher release (Enhancement package 5 I believe) some improvement have been done

According to my dump analysis so far: this interface does have "less" value (topic of mapping of data (rating, validity area, management of change etc.). I The whole mapping aspect is not "nice" (topic of e.g. plants etc. etc.).

Sorry. I can not provide more input regarding that

C.B.

PS: If there would be the need to have a EHS <=> QM interface I would prepare a company specific user exit in CG02: here you can execute your own mapping etc.

Generally by doing so you can avoid "special" data maintenance. E..g. a value like "100 °C" (flashpoint) is valid for any plant any there; in EHS <=> QM interface you need to list (to my understanding) any plan as validity area etc. This is a not the "right" way of maintenance. As mentioned: I am not aware of any option to map data regarding value assignment types B or C; but using a "exit" you could try to get the "wished" result (but I do not knwo good enough the QM demand)

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Luk

i checked the on line help once again. So I need to correct my self. You can deal with VATs of type "C".  But accordong to my analysis you must specify the spec id in the customizing.

Let us try a different approach: what data do you would like to transfer from ingredient?

Normally my undrestanding of QM would be that you only do "tests" on REAL_SUB - Material level.

E.g. you can specifcy the deiisty, ph value etc. and in the inspection plan you would "test" "againts" this value. As in EHS you can maintain intervalls (e.g. in case of ph value) you would have the same value in inspection plan and if tets is ok the material can be used.

But what is the need to test on "ingredient" level? Normally once again you would check in QM the ingredient "direkt" (as it is linked to a material).

C.B.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good morning Christoph,

Thank you for having another look at this.

Our requirements are the following:

* based on the ingredients, we want to check for content, how much of the chemical is present in the material, and we want to check for migration, how much of the chemical migrates in a given solvent, temperature, duration, ... Test methods to use are depending on the substance to check.

* acceptable limit values are dependent on the material type.

We saw two solutions to do this using the ehs-qm interface.

* based on the ingredients, create a rule or custom program to pull relevant information from the ingredients to the real substance before triggering the interface

* considering the different tests as *compositions* where limit values are discribed as concentrations.

Currently we consider not to use the ehs-qm interface for several reasons

* lots of additional data must be maintained

* risk of not keeping data on ehs-side and qm side in sync

* added value is low

Luk

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Luk

thanks for your explanations. As mentioned: I haven't had the chance to deal with EHS / QM interface in reality; it is more based on analysis of the interface.

Let's come back to your topics:

* based on the ingredients, we want to check for content, how much of the chemical is present in the material

=> this type of analysis is done often; there are different levels of interest: e.g.

a.) you can be interested in the amount of water in the material

b.) you are interested in the amount of lead 2+, chrome 6+ etc. i

c:) you are interested in total amount of phospor, nitrogen etc. (this is sometimes called "summerized value")

Not all of that is maintained in EHS in VATs of type "C"; sometimes "A" is used.

But let us asssume it would be a VAT of type C and we have a spec id "X" saying that there is lead with 10 ppm, => I stilöl have doubt that there is a conversion possible for that in QM interface. You need to convert the e.g. "identifier" to a phrase  related to a characteristic and you need a second characteristic to deal with the amount

Am am sorry. I do not have any experience in SAP QM.  But is clear that it would be a great help to get data from EHS into the QM plan; as mentioned; I have some doubts about the QM interface. According to my understanding you need to maintain may plants as validity areas (as the QM plan ist pant oriented) You can not specify like "PUBLIC / REG_WORLD" and the value is valid for any plan

My proposal would still be to use one of the available "user exits" to get the demand done. The main "issues" is the "mapping" and conversion in any case.

E..g let's assume simple example. In QM you would like to test density, flashpoint, viscosity. Now EHS uses a number of characteristic to deal with that.

First step could be that you define per "VAT" a "default usahge (e.g. PUBLIC / REG_WOLRD); to read the data; now if more than one data record is present you get a "warning" et.c ( i have no idea how in QM three different values of density would be handled (tenmp: 15 °C , 20 °C etc.); Normally only one value is of interest. Now you can read the data and transfer it to QM plan.

How to deal with VAts of type "C"?. Here my suggesiotn would be: we need a "special" usage and a special data maintenance. E.g. we could define a rating "QM"; the in property "Standard composition" you would define one data record with "QM/RE_G_WORLD"  Now by standard techniques you would read the data record. Now you need  a "mapping" algorithm. One "stupid idea could be:

read iv there is average, min, max value; read form spec id used on identifier; now create a new phrase on the fly and use this phrase to populate the characteristic as part of QM plan.#

E.G. you have defined a value like:

Average          Min          Max          UOM                    Spec ID

10                    5             15             Mass%                X (represint e.g. "Water")

Now you could (as with DG) generate a phrase like:

"Min 5, Average 10; Max 15 % of water " and populate the characteristic with this phrase

Now you have a "value" which could be checked in QM

Hope you will find a solution

C.B.

PS: based on discussion in a diffrent thread I found this nice link: http://scn.sap.com/thread/3375117