cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to get into crm middleware

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i want to learn middleware i know about the configuration pre-requisite steps and also having an idea on why & how we use the crm middleware between as well as r/3 and crm.but i m not getting the clear idea so can anyone please share any documents or ur valuable experience on crm middleware scenarios for to practice and clear understanding.

Thanks&Regards,

VINOD.D

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Venkat_Sesha
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod dwara,

CRM Middleware is very simple as like ABAP.

As you know ABAP is 4th generation language an is easy adoptable for learning.

I would suggest you should have a good ABAP knowledge before you take a step ahead to be a CRM middleware consultant. I believe you are already an ABAPer.

Now coming to the Middleware part, learn some materials which are published in SAP SCN like Middleware transactions, tables, bdocs, BADIs and Adapter Objects(Used in Data replications from CRM to ECC or ECC to CRM or CRM to any other systems.

Some of the links that helps you are given below. Middleware is simple and good to learn for an ABAPer

http://scn.sap.com/community/crm/master-data-and-middleware/content?filterID=content~objecttype~obje...

http://scn.sap.com/community/crm/master-data-and-middleware/content?filterID=content~objecttype~obje...

Hope the documents and blogs posted in the above mentioned links will help you a lot.

Thanks,

Bhargav

former_member182421
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't think CRM middleware is "very simple"  and either I belive ABAP is something simple, I don't know what kinds of developments/integrations have you been involved to say something like this but you just need to take a look at the middleware section to see everyone has problems/issues/questions regarding middleware, plus you need functional knowledge from CRM and the counterpart where the information replicates one good example is pricing conditions, if you say this is something "very simple" then probably I have a huge problem .

You can also check the sap press book:

http://www.sap-press.com/products/SAP-CRM-Middleware-Optimization-Guide.html

I wouldn't recommend it because I found it extremely boring but maybe I give it a second chance

Cheers!

Luis

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm going to have to disagree and say that SAP Press book is actually very good in terms of being able to operate the CRM Middleware.  In fact I knew a middleware consultant that told me if everyone read that book he would be out of a job.

In terms of CRM middleware being stimple, if you can actually follow directions, then the setup and download guides published by SAP is very straight-forward and I can teach anyone in day or less how to configure the initial download for customers, products, and sales orders.  The problem is that when those downloads don't work right then troubleshooting requires a foot in both worlds.  You really need to understand ERP Customer Master and Material Master configuration and basic sales order configuration.  Then when you want to do pricing condition downloads, once again not impossible, but you need a decent understanding of condition technique in both ERP and CRM(plus how those differ) in order to do it.

Yes it's not rocket science, however about 90 percent of people who try to setup the middleware can't seem to follow directions precisely as SAP requires.  By precision I mean if SAP suggests that you only have one client in CRM or say the logical system names or RFC destinations must be in a certain fashion they don't do it and then have problems.

Take care,

Stephen

former_member182421
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

About the sap press book, that's the reason why I said maybe I will give it a second try. My opinion is just for one reading and it was very boring, but again, that's my opinion, for other people can be super exciting, but like other CRM sap press books I don't have the "feeling" I would find the solution of a problem consulting it and I have the online version.

I'm afraid we can apply the quote of your middleware college in every SAP field

Going back to the middleware topic.

The problem is that when those downloads don't work right then troubleshooting requires a foot in both worlds.  You really need to understand ERP Customer Master and Material Master configuration and basic sales order configuration.  Then when you want to do pricing condition downloads, once again not impossible, but you need a decent understanding of condition technique in both ERP and CRM(plus how those differ) in order to do it.

For me this is what middleware is all about, you really need functional knowledge in your team or in your head, as a middleware consultant rearely you job will follow the "sap best practices" or relay "only" in the connectivity/communication part.

What happens when you need extra info which is not in the Bdoc?, performance problems?, synch problems? ghosts? as I said, not an easy job and not something easy to learn, requires experience and knowledge.

Is the same old story, If you work in CRM you need to know a little of everything.

Cheers!

Luis

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Actually the book is "boring" and you are right about that, but it's definitely however useful.  It provides lots of ideas that are still valid, when you need to performance tune your middleware loads and provides the basic theory how the middleware works.  I only use it as a reference when things happen.  That being said I know it needs to be updated/revised as I was asked about that last year and did something else instead.

You are right about CRM folks needing a more cross-functional view of the world.  I tend to find the middleware guys to be a cut above the normal CRM guys. Middleware guys have to be basis, security, development, config and business analyst in one person.  I have only met a handful of really good middleware consultants and they were all "A-list" talent.  If you really want to see want a middleware consultant is made of, ask them if they ever have done server based groupware integration.  If they have master that, then you better bring them on your project regardless of need.  Now if anyone wants to claim server based groupwware integration is easy to learn, then they don't know what they are talking about .  Anyone care to troubleshoot ABAP mapbox downloads .

Take care,

Stephen

former_member182421
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Conclusion: Middleware is not simple stuff...

<Duffman>oh yeah</Duffman>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

As James suggested CR500 is one good book to go throgh & below link will give some good info about middleware

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/20c123eb-591a-2d10-fbb8-e77187429...

http://scn.sap.com/people/lokesh.aggarwal/blog/2008/02/27/debugging-crm-middleware--sales-document

& search for Middleware Blogs in SCN, u will get lot of information for sure

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi VINOD

I will suggest standard tutorial CR500. It has the very details you will have to know about CRM middleware.

Best Regards

James