Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SERC content package and service package

sruthi_srinivasan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is regarding regulatory content provider. I came across an SAP presentation on Product Safety and Dangerous goods, which talks about twp options:

1. Going for an on-premise approach using SERC - content package

2. Going for a service approach using SERC- service package

Could you please elaborate on both the service package and content package approach? How does it work/integrate with business processes in SAP?

Thank you,

Sruthi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Ralph_P
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Sruthi,

Are you talking about the dfferences in SERC and SERD? If so, SERC, the real content, provides you with templates, phrases, rule sets, regulatory/DG data, and the latest property tree. These have to be installed on your system enabling you with little effort to generate complaint MSDS for almost all countries.

SERD is basically the same thing as a service: You send your specification data via workflow into the cloud and receive a MSDS for the product in question. Installation of the content on your system is not necessary anymore.

Ralph

sruthi_srinivasan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for your prompt reply! What does SERD stand for..? I tried googling a bit, but couldn't find much about it. Actually I am looking for options, where in the client does not have to be in charge of "regulatory content". I found the attached ppt by SAP. Slides 5 and 6 talk about these two approaches - Content package (on premise) and Service package (on service). Both of the approaches mention SERC. I wanted more clarity around the difference between both of them. This is the link I found the ppt on.

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhel...

Regards,

Sruthi

Ralph_P
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Former Member
0 Kudos

Sruthi, to add to what Ralph has paased on, SERD stands for "SAP EHS Regulatory Documentation". It is a content service as has been mentioned. With SERD, the customer 'requests' product and component updates via a set of SAP webservice interfaces between their on-premise EHS system and the ERD system. SAP uses the data provided by the custmer to perform all necessary classifications and then generate the requested country-specific product SDS's. The SERD content service is handled as a subscription (e.g.3-5 years).

If customer licenses both component and product management by SERD, the customer does not need to license SERC at all. SERD infrastructure (managed by SAP) has all that built in and continually updated as necessary. This allows customer to focus on other activities other than perform regulatory data, template, expert rules updates and maintenance, classifications, and SDS authoring. SERD handles all of that.

CUstome rhas option to only license the component management aspect of SERD and keep the SDS authoring process in-house. With component management, SERD handles specific researching and sourcing of component data needed for classifiations, reviewing supplier SDS's for additional component information, and then performing all component classifications. ALL of this is also kept current as any SERC components are updated (data, expert rules).

Hope that gives you additinal background on the solution.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Gopi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have worked with CLEO data earlier, so have a fair idea about the content and package of it.

My question here is that, is SERC a On Premise solution only, or does it have any cloud component also like SERD?

Thanks.

Regards,

Niraj

Ralph_P
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Niraj,

SERC is an on premise solution. In terms of regulatory data, it is "cloudable" as you can place the files on a server which may be accessed from anywhere. Consequently, regulatory data can be loaded into EH&S by anyone who has the authorization to do so.

Ralph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the update about SERC. This clears the doubt, however, can you please explain " regulatory data, it is "cloudable" as you can place the files on a server which may be accessed from anywhere"?

Secondly,

I was seeing the SERC documentation as it is mentioned that "Gain access to more than 250,000 substances and substance groups based on worldwide chemical regulations".

As part of the pacakge, our client has received Substance list and Reference data *.exe file and *.mdb file. Does it mean that all the substance data have been provided as part of the package?

File mentions: ERC_PS_<Region>_2014-2A.exe. So when we download, is it possible to doenload the data for specific region only?

Thanks.

Regards,

Niraj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ralph,

Can you please update?

Your early reply will really help.

Thanks.

Regards,

Niraj

Ralph_P
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Niraj,

I only know the global package. The PS stands for Product Safety data, the region, as you guessed, for the country/region of which data are included. So if you have a apckage for Japan, it should include only Japanese data. I say should because, as I wroe, I only know the global package. There should be a documentation, though, that tells you what is included.

Ralph

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Ralph,

Thanks for the update.

Our client has also the global package and we have recived the Admin and Update guide.

But now the question is, client wants only selective data to be downloaded from content package to SAP system. For e.g. phrases with selected languages, only limited Listed and Unlisted Substances.

Is this possible with global package?

Thanks.

Regards,

Niraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm not an expert in this area, but I've been told that customers who own this license can get help from a help desk. Are you aware of this?

Support and Contact to Customer

Within the
framework of an EHS SAP Regulatory Content license, technical support by SAP is
included to clarify questions concerning the installation, configuration and
right use of the content components. These questions may be addressed via
internet-based helpdesk.

Ralph_P
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Niraj,

read the admin manual of the SERC, everything is explained in there.

Ralph

Mark-Pfister
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Niraj,

I recently checked with SAP and only the on side / local installation of SERC is supported.

You need:

- A network share to host the content files (some thousands XML files)

- The OCC Tool installed on the PCs of the people who are loading regulatory data

- RFC Connection

(A huge amount of customizing but that is supplied with SERC)

Hope this helps

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mark,

Thanks for the update. It really helps.

Just one more equery,

It seems similar to the Data Content package (CLEO)?

My experience with CLEO daa content package is, that there is a link which is shared with client and using that link, the required files are downloaded into the application server of SAP system and from there import is done to SAP-EHS (Specifications, phrases, SDS templates, etc.)

Then is SERC different then Data Content Package download?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Niraj

Mark-Pfister
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Niraj,

SERC is the replacement of CLEO. CLEO was the old TechniData product - SERC  is from SAP. (SAP has bought TechniData).

SAP Provides a download link to download the SERC (SAP EH&S Regulatory Content) Software package.

You need to deploy that to a file server with a shared network drive and install the customizing and phrases etc. in your SAP System.
You need to update the WWI Templates and Rules sets if you use them as well.

Regards

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the update.

I knew SAP has taken over Technidata, but was not knowing renaming of CLEO to SERC.

This information really helps.

Do you have any information on by when the SERD will be available to the customers?

Thanks.

Regards,

Niraj

Ralph_P
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Niraj,

SERD is already available and several customers.are using it.

Ralph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the update.

I will repeat my question then.

What are the prerequisites to implement this solution?

How this will be connected to On Premise SAP system?

Any documentation on how it works with On Premise solution would really help.

Regards,

Niraj

Ralph_P
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the link, but it does not contain much information.

It does not mention how it will be connected to On Premise system and as a process how it will work.

Need this information for a potential client.

Regards,

Niraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ralph,

For our client, SAP has confirmed following:

"Customer has purchased SAP EHS Regulatory Content (ERC).

With licensing ERC the customer receives access
to the service marketplace of SAP to download

i) the licenced content packages, ii) the Admin Guide and iii) the Update Guide."

So I believe, our client has bought SERC and not SERD and this will be a On Premise solution and we need to download the required content to the client servers and implement the same.

Is my understanding correct?

Your early reply will really help.

Thanks.

Regards,

Niraj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Niraj,

The SERC (SAP EHS Regulatory Content) is full package solution which not only provide content but also provides Rules and template for PS,DG and beyond. It comes with specific set of instruction and implementation procedure which includes from Transport file, Manual configuration, Data load, and so on. 

SERC has component like

• Property tree: Beside some general information about property trees this part provides a

detailed step by step description of all activities which are necessary to deal with property

trees.(Set up by transport)

• Multilingual phrase library for hazard communication: This part contains all relevant information

concerning phrases.

• Regulatory Data such as Product Safety, Dangerous goods, Inventories, Substance lists and reference data: In this part, guidance is given throughout the process

of implementing regulatory data.

• Expert rules for substance and mixture classification: This section covers all information

necessary for Expert rules.

• Material safety data sheet (MSDS) templates: The aim of this part is to provide information

which is relevant to setup and create MSDS Report Templates.

In order  SERC to  work you also need WWI server, EHS expert server, OCC Installation as prerequisite.

Hope this helps.

Gopi Dadheech

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

Do we have any further information on SERD?

What are the prerequisites to implement this solution?

How this will be connected to On Premise SAP system?

Early reply will really help.

Thanks.

Regards,

Niraj Siklgar

former_member191252
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Niraj,

I think SERC has OCC but SERC, as Anthony mentioned, it is connected through set web services interface.

I think you need to have the SERD installation document to know all pre-req's.

--

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sruthi

may be check: http://www54.sap.com/solution/lob/sustainability/software/ehs-regulatory-content/index.html

I am not familiar with the SERC packages; there a several types of them. At the end you get "full" support in EHS topics in SAP (e.g. starting form using templates, rulesets, data management etc.)

May be others can highlight this topic more. Sorry.

C.B.

PS: e.g. check: http://help.sap-ag.de/saphelp_ehsrcm10/SAP_EHS_Regulatory_Content_Whats_new_in_2012_2.pdf or similar pages as well.

PPS: Check: http://help.sap.com/ehs-od

sruthi_srinivasan
Participant
0 Kudos

thank you!