cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top-down planning (budgeting) with BPS / IP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey,

I'm thinking about realizing Top-down budgeting in Marketing Ressource Management based on BI-IP (Integrated Planning). I had a look on some posts in SCN about differences between BW-BPS and BI-IP. BW-BPS is an older technology, which shouldn't be used anymore. Nevertheless it seems like it's still implemented in the standard, isn't it?

In addition I have read this post of Anik Roy (http://scn.sap.com/message/10951132) and she mentions a possibilty by using Marketing Funds Management to use IP.

Does someone of you have experience in realizing hierarchical budgeting with IP or can give me a short overview, where the differences and common features of BPS / IP are? I only need a comparison in the case of top-down budgeting.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

anik_roy
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Daniel,

To make sure we are on the same page with regards to using BI-IP and Marketing Funds Management - there are 2 processes to consider:

BI-IP could be used to conduct annual (top down) planning allocation and then feed the budget amounts to CRM Funds management through APIs (this is what I referred to). We do not recommend using the Top Down Budgeting functionality in CRM (where BPS was used) and it is not integrated with MFM.

BPS is still used for embedded campaign planning, where you plan your costs. Since CRM 7.0 EhP1, these costs integrate with CRM Funds Management to track budget consumption. As of today, this BPS integration cannot be replaced with BI-IP without project work.

Let me know how else I can help.

Regards,

Anik

SAP Sr. Solution Manager

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Anik Roy,

i am chandu can u provide campain management topic details with complete screen shorts and

if u possible please provide video of that topic please.........

Regards,

chandu.

anik_roy
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Check out my blog for a description of the process and a video:  http://scn.sap.com/people/anik.roy/blog/2010/12/20/marketing-funds-management-new-crm-70-ehp1-functi... 

Anik

0 Kudos

Hi Anik,

We just started a CRM 7.0 implementation with a planning component. BPS seems to be standard as planning tool because it is intergrated out of the box with CRM. Client is hesitant though since BPS is part of SAP BW 3.5 and that has long been replaced at the client by Integrated Planning (SAP BW 7.0). Can I ask you the following:

You mention that for the embedded campaign planning BPS functionality and its integration with CRM can not be replaced without project work. Do you have information (i.e. effort) on replacing the embedded BPS functionality by IP?

Also, is it SAP's experience that most customers go that route, since they do not want 'old' planning tool functionality (like BPS) reintroduced in their IT landscape?

is it possible to embed IP in CRM the same way the BPS campaign planning layouts are embedded?

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Meindert

anik_roy
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Meindert,

To your questions...

1) Unfortunately, I do not have effort estimates for replacing BW-BPS by BW-IP within the campaign planning scenario.

2) From my experience, up until now most customers leverage the standard integration with BW-BPS, since campaign planning is key to enabling the end-to-end process for budgeting in CRM. Even though BPS is old, it will be supported (in maintenance mode) for at least the life of NW 7.3
(currently Dec. 2020). I agree there are rising concerns on this topic and SAP is starting to look into options, but there is no firm roadmap to announce at this time.

3) I cannot confirm the feasibility for campaigns, but in the TPM area, they are leveraging BW-IP for embedded promotion planning.

Regards,

Anik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi! Anik,

We are trying to implement TPM with BW-IP and could not find any document. We want to do planinng in CRM-TPM where planning area and planning functions will exist in BW-IP.

You have mentioned in (3) that BW-IP could be leveraged for TPM.  Can you please elaborate on this ?  such as

- how can we get planning layout info from BW to CRM-TPM?

- how can we write back modified data to BW planning cube?

- can BW-IP really be used instead of BPS for integration with TPM?  as we are having some doubt now.

We are using BW 7.4.

Any doc, info, links, tips, would be much appreciated.

Rgds

eric

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eric,

you can use TPM together with BI-IP module implementing Accelerated Trade Promotion Planning Module.

This module let you replace the BPS integration with BI-IP Planning Solution.

Kind Regards,

Giacomo

Answers (0)