Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folders under 'Catalog' in Schema

BenedictV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I see two folders called 'View' and 'Column View' under the Catalog in a schema.

1) I tried creating a column view using SQl and I see the column view under the 'Column View' folder. But I am not able to use this column view anywhere.

2) i tried creating a view by right-clicking on the 'View' folder, but I could only save it as a local .vsql file. What purpose do this serve?

Can someone shed some light here?

Thanks,

Benedict

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Benedict,

I would try to answer it as per my understanding:

1) I tried creating a column view using SQl and I see the column view under the 'Column View' folder. But I am not able to use this column view anywhere.

When we create any Analytic View, Calculation View or Attribute View then a column view is created for them in _SYS_BIC schema.

So if you have created a column View then you can use it in reporting - try to open this view using MS Excel.

2) i tried creating a view by right-clicking on the 'View' folder, but I could only save it as a local .vsql file. What purpose do this serve?

This View is your SQL View - a virtual table in which you combine tables and can filter data that you want and then you can perform operations on it.

You can create SQL Script based Calculation Views using SQL Views

BenedictV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Vivek,

That was real helpful. Can you please elaborate on the second answer. How can I use the .vsql file in a calculation view?

I could'nt find a how-to document for this.

Thanks,

Benedict

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Benedict,

I tried and it doesn't work. I thought like we could use them using CE_JOIN_VIEW statement but it turns out we can use only Column Views in here.

So you can also use your Column Views in SQL Script.

So i would say that SQL VIews are SQL functionality so they still exist here.

As we can create HANA Views for Reporting, similarly we can create these SQL Views and perform analysis using Data Preview - it has no limitations of Attribute or Analytic View like Fact Table, Master Table.

Answers (0)