cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hazardous substance management and substance management process difference

former_member209335
Contributor
0 Kudos

I would like to learn HSM (hazardous substance management), What is the difference between sap hazardous substance management and substance management process.

Can I get  i hazardous substance management configuration/customization/implementation guide.

Your cooperation in this regards will be  highly appreciated

Edward

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are looking for functionality to manage health and safety processes in operations related to hazardous substances -- meaning approval before chemicals are brought on site, creation of chemical safety instructions for hazard communication, hazardous materials inventory reporting - please look at the new functionality in component extension 4.0 for SAP EHS Management. As Christoph says, this is different from managing hazardous substances in your products and determining if you can ship them and sell them -- such as REACH compliance and DOT shipping requirements.

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mary

I was not able to get a much of your comment with online docu of EHMS 4.0. mA ybe I misinterpret your comment. If I read your comment then this was my "picture":

"hazardous materials inventory reporting => you can do it with EHMS 4.0"

the same regarding:

"meaning approval before chemicals are brought on site"

=> I tried to find this both in the docu and I am sorry I was not able to find that. Could you please add the reference to the page?

Thanks in advance

C.B.

PS:  just found one "potential" link. COuld you please confirm?

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_ehsext40/helpdata/en/e0/3837a033ab48138cb2f1c982f497c2/content.htm?frame...

Chapter: Analytical Reporting

Regarding the second one: do you reference to chapter "Product Compliance (EHS-MGM-PRC)"?

May be I misinterpret COmponent Extension here; something like ""meaning approval before chemicals are brought on site" could would be dealed with e.g. SAP GTS, to a certain extent SAP EHS SVT etc. Could you please help me to get a better picture if this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi - you were close - just need to drill down a little more to Risk Assessment and then Managing Chemicals for Health and Safety Processes

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_ehsext40/helpdata/en/f5/1e9c51fa912f09e10000000a441470/content.htm?frame...

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Edward

a.) please check SAP online help. Difference is explained there very well. On high level: Basicly Substance Management is encapsulated in EHS component  "Basic Data and Tools" (called EHS-BD) and in "Product Safety" (called EHS-SAF). Hazardous substance management is encapsulated in EHS-HSM.

b.) please check: http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-41109; reference is given there to a high number of threads dealing with this topic; as well you will find some reference to th "Best practise" approach

c.) please check as well SOA topics; there are SOA solutions dealing "partly" with HSM

In nearly any case you need always basic customizing set up in EHS-BD; then you can use EHS-HSM without EHS-SAF

C.B.

PS: be arwae of the fact that many opeople have "problems" in understanding the term "substance management" / "hazardous substance management" and "Dangerous goods management". Sometimes they us the term "hazardous substance management" but from SAP point of view they talk about "Dangerous goods management"

PPS: terms are e.g. explained in wikipedia and other similar areas.