Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is webdynpro java phased-out/outdated

former_member188019
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Recently, i came to know that SAP is not encouraging to use webdynpro java, for new developments.

To what extent it is true.

Basically, in our projects, we use portal iveiws, with embeded webdynpro java applications, that make use of RFCs to connect to backend system, using Meta/Model jCO Connections.

so have queries like,

1. will it be more sense to create the new applications in WebDynrpo ABAP instead of WDJ.
2. what is the future of WDJ.
3. Is webdynpro java phased-out/outdated.

thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

vijay_kumar49
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Madhu.

1. Will it be more sense to create the new applications in WebDynrpo ABAP instead of WDJ.

Webdynpro JAVA

When you are calling BAPI/RFC from ECC we need JCO’s(Model/Meta Data)

Deployee the application In J2ee Server.

WD-ABAP

Directly we call the BAPI/RFC with (Model/Meta Data)

Its deployed in ABAP Stack only

2 what is the future of WDJ.

Its better to understand the limitations of ABAP as programming language.Its better to remember that SAP Netweaver is using JAVA technology when SAP struggled with Oracle. For finding new way, all need java.Once it achieved, others can follow. If you are STRONG in JAVA , no need to worry, else you can decide.

3  Is webdynpro java phased-out/outdated.

I heard WDJ is will be closed by 2015.

i think sap is working on next generation UI technology is WDABAP.

ABAP is the core the SAP, so WDA is lucky and maybe last a little bit longer than WDJ.

These are all my personal opinion.

Hope this helps!! 

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

to be serious, forget java when you are in SAP

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would not say to forget java.

http://scn.sap.com/people/michael.bechauf/blog/2010/11/06/technology-stability-in-a-world-of-constan...

“And a final point: I think I have made the case why SAP is committed to engage with the community. When it comes to community-based development, Java is an essential part of the development landscape. Honestly, it is ludicrous to believe that SAP could stop the use of Java. Yes, for TCO considerations as well as simplicity of development, we concluded that for users interfaces developed in the SAP Business Suite, WDA is the primary technology. But this does not mean that we give up on Java altogether. Java is an essential part of SAP's strategy, and vast parts of SAP technology platform are in fact developed in Java.”

Regards,
Ervin

Sharathmg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Totally agree with Ervin, on this point.

If SAP have to abandon Java then they would never embrace and Propose UI5.

In this competitive world, SAP has to be adaptable and also accommodate customers and developers requirements.

WD Java has always been capable of supporting complex business application running on SAP and non-SAP systems. WD ABAP was introduced as a competitor for SAP based applications. Its not the replacement.

Note: You can read my blog on this topic:

Regards,

Sharath

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ui5?what? does it have anything to do with java?

wdj is powerful, no doubt, but it is dead....please get the right point......

if sap is in favor of java, i cannot understand WHY the java server is still JEE5 COMPLIANT, WHICH IS FAR FAR BEHIND THE MARKET

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I still find the word dead a bit harsh.

I would rather put this way:

As of 2010 webdynpro java has been placed in maintenance mode. This means that the existing product is supported to the extent that any bugs are fixed; however, no new functionality will be added. SAP's development effort is now focused on the ABAP variant of Web Dynpro.

Perhaps a better place for further discussions is the comments part of

http://scn.sap.com/people/michael.bechauf/blog/2010/11/06/technology-stability-in-a-world-of-constan...

Best Regards,

Ervin

Sharathmg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ui5?what? does it have anything to do with java? - Yes it does.

Is an ABAP-er better at Java script than a core java developer(or web dynpro java developer).

Jun, Java script was discarded years ago. But its returned with great adoption across the spectrum.

No technology goes extinct. It may be re-packaged in a different/better form.

Regards,

Sharath

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

tell me, why UI5 is related to java????

who tell you java guys can do better in js than abaper? who tell you because of that sap should invest in java?

please don't lose the point, we are not talking about which is one good or bad,

the point is which one sap is going to support/invest

to be more realistic, which one will give you more return(personal or also company).....

Sharathmg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Exactly. I would argue that a Java developer is more equipped at an open source technology(Java script) than an ABAP-er. This is after years of working with ABAPers.

Yes, you may be right that SAP is not investing heavily on Java and investing more on ABAP and latest UI technologies. But, as a developer with a long term view, a Java developer should never lose hope of working in SAP. But, companies adapt according to the technology.

Trends dictate the behavior of the mass but trends are temporary. They are not ever-lasting. That is my argument.

Regards,

Sharath

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

why java guys have to learn so much... js, html...... so poor to stay with java.....

although I AM A JAVA guy

Sharathmg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A Java guy can understand .js and .html.

Why they need to? To survive in the market. A core java developer cannot earn well even outside SAP. They need to be equipped with skills related to .js and .html(HTML5). Thats gives them broad range of skills.

Within SAP, for projects using NetWeaver BPM, WD Java / Java based UI is recommended by SAP. SAP discourages usign WD ABAP UIs for BPM based solutions.

Regards,

Sharath

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

so it's very clear how sad it is to be a java guy..... you have to learn this, that..... to survive

sap discourage wda for bpm ui? show me some proof.....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Why does it have to be A or B? What's wrong with A and B?

Sharathmg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can refer the document " SAP Guidelines for Best-Built Applications that Integrate with Business Suite ".

In Page 84, 85 SAP clearly recommends usage of Web Services / Enterprise Services in BPM process design using NetWeaver BPM.

I will leave you to guess if WD Java / Java based apps are better prepared to consume enterprise services and web services.

Also, if WDA is used as the UI in the BPM process then solution will be on different stacks / may be server. Reason: BPM  runs on Java stack so its better to have the UI on the same stack.

Regards,

Sharath

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

of course, if you don't have abap system, it makes no sense just to pull in abap system to build the UI. but it doesn't mean sap is in favor of java

Sharathmg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If given a chance, SAP will not be in favor of anything which is not their proprietary. Well, that's not possible in the real world.

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

but i think sap has the reason not to favor java, we all know that:)

Sharathmg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes. We all DO.

Qualiture
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To the contrary, SAP has a HUGE interest in Java (and that's "huge" as in capitol Arial Bold 18pt italic undelined huge indeed)

You should look no further than the SAP HANA Cloud, formerly known as NEO / NetWeaver cloud.

Of all people, you should know better Jun

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes, poor java guys, keep learning

Qualiture
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I honestly hope you are not serious right now...

Of course you should keep learning!

Otherwise you will be out of market anytime soon, and you will be outclassed, overshadowed and outplayed by truckloads of cheaper, younger and more eager to learn new breed of programmers who have more tricks (jQuery, HTML5, Python, etc) under their sleeves than you...

Or are you really confident you can do the same tricks over and over and over again until you retire?

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hope you didn't mistake me.

i mean all java guys, not specifically referring to you.

anyway, I believe, at least for now, abap is a better way for a technical guy in sap area.

for the new stuff, let's wait and see.....

Qualiture
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I was also referring to 'all' Java guys, and not me personally. I strongly believe that if you don't want to keep up with the New and/or Other Stuff, you will ultimately be of less value for your employer/customers

Anyway, IMHO if your focus -- 'your' as in everyone, so nothing personally -- is more towards ECC, then maybe ABAP is the better choice.

However, if your focus is more on the front-end with connectivity to an SAP backend, as well as all the CAF / BPM tools, then definitely Java should be the preferred choice.

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes,

but in my region....sap java is secondary(kind of nothing...), company only see ECC(ABAP)

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

being a abaper, it is kind of stable, you don't have to keep learning for certain extent(compared with java). within sap, abap is quite demanding, java is minor....

Qualiture
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Seriously? You should come over to Europe then, over here demand for SAP Java developers is (still) quite high

Sharathmg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, ABAPers are in demand because of lack of enough ABAP resources. Java being open gives the opportunity for everyone to learn and explore.

However, even within SAP, Java developers are niche as SAP Java is not completely open.

What is more in demand within SAP is an open mind. Traditional SAP developers are limited by the possibilities of ABAP. If ABAP allows apps to be exposed to internet then they start thinking in that direction. Its not their fault but thats how SAP controlled the market by retaining proprietary over the technology.

However, SAP has changed and opened up a long time ago.

Its time for us to open our minds and explore the possibilities instead of worrying about the current trends.

Trends Change. Its better to catch the wave at the start than to run while its coming down.

And, Keep Learning!

Regards,

Sharath

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

On the way...