cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send-to Email form pre-filled with default placeholders possible?

boman_hwang
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

We are using the SAP BO BI 4.0 platform for our reporting and want to provide a quick and easy way for our users to contact support if there are issues with one of the reports they are using. Our preferred method would be that the users are able to send an email to a specific support address with some information about which report they have issues with, at which time they tried accessing it and who the user is, together with an error description from them.

Our first idea was to use the Send-To functionality inside the BI platform and use the email sending destination for that. Our users would then simply "send" their troublesome report to support and fill out the email form with the desired information.

Now the problem is that there are some placeholders in the system which can be used to give us the desired information, but the email sending form is completely blank by default. Our users would thus have to fill out the entire form themselves, which is not that user-friendly and prone to errors, so we want to provide a solution that automates those fill-outs.

We tried using the default settings of the email sending form and I set the destination settings on the Adaptive Job Server accordingly, pre-filling the "To:" and "Subject:" fields with some of the available placeholders like "Title", or "User Full Name". This way, our users would only need to go to "Send-To" in the BI Launchpad, select email and then click on the default settings checkbox to send a fully filled support request report.

This is nearly perfect, but using that default settings checkbox does not allow you to fill out any of the other fields by yourself, so our users cannot for example fill out the "Message:" field to give us an error description.

I now try to find a way to pre-fill the default email sending form with some default information in the "To:" and "Subject:" fields, like certain placeholders which are automatically inserted when the email sending form is started. The users would then only need to fill out the "Message:" field and click on send and the support ticket would be ready.

I have not found a way to do that yet and would be very glad for any suggestions. A simple configuration trick would be best, but writing something ourselves using the SDK would work, too, depending on the complexitiy level this solution would need.

Additional information: Our main system is on version BI 4.0 SP4 and also tried it on our test system which is on BI 4.0 SP6. I have not been able to find a solution on either version.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182521
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Interesting requirement Boman.

I feel there is no workaround other than SDK based solution as this feature is by design. If you still want the feature to be adopted, Let us raise this in Idea place and get it promoted. I am interested to promote this.

https://ideas.sap.com/ct/s.bix?c={BB5523E4-062F-4420-B35F-0B1F0D4769A9}

Regards,

Mani

boman_hwang
Participant
0 Kudos

Finally got around answering here:

I think you are right, it seems there is no way to currently achieve this.

I have submitted the idea to get this implemented here:

https://ideas.sap.com/ct/ct_a_view_idea.bix?c=BB5523E4-062F-4420-B35F-0B1F0D4769A9&idea_id=15E05A35-...

Anyone interested in promoting this is appreciated

former_member182521
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Great.Going to vote for it.

Answers (0)