Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me in selecting the right SAP Module

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I hope someone could help me out in selecting an appropriate in SAP for me.

I have done my MBA(General Management) and have 3 yrs experience in Project management. But currently I am planning to change my career to SAP and so I have done my research in the SAP modules, I could see that BI, FICO, MM, SD, BPC, ABAP, BASIC as the best modules for the long term career.

SO could anyone suggest me which module is best for the career and have good job opportunities in the market to settle down.

Please help me to select the module.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Just a quick tip for you, if you have interest in Coding and all, just close your eyes and try for SAP ABAP.

otherwise all MM,SD have good scope in market

SAP is not a rocket science so you can learn it easily.. Just do remember one thing

"Expert in anything was once a beginner"

All the Best.

BR

ChanS..

50 REPLIES 50

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sathish,

There are technical and functional modules in SAP and a few are a combination of both. Take sometime and see which one you like and think you would like to learn then see what module is in demand then take a decision. Now, once you decide the module then you have to decide whether you want to take training from an SAP authorized training partner or unauthorized. The main difference is that the SAP Authorized training allows you to appear in the certification exam after the training but if you go with an authorized training center (which of course charges way less than authorized training centers) you will not be allowed to appear in the certification exam.

Let me know if you have any other question.

Cheers,

Nagarajan Viswanathan

0 Kudos

Hi Nagarajan,

Many thanks for your reply. It was really helpful and had right information.

Could you please let me know whether SAP BI is good in job market, so that I could start prepare for it.

Thank you

Sathish

0 Kudos

Hi Sathish,

If you are interested then you may go for BI, it's not difficult to learn and has a decent demand and it will increase in the future. Once you finish BI then you may go for HANA. BI + HANA is a good combination, HANA is an in-memory database from SAP. An in-memory database retrieves data way faster than the traditional DB because the data resides in RAM (Primary memory) which is faster then secondary storage/memory (HDD). Once you finish BI then you may go for HANA.

Cheers,

Nagarajan Viswanathan

0 Kudos

Hello Nagarajan, I am a fresher (B.TECH IT) and want to enter into SAP but not getting the exact direction where to head. I know about technical areas like ABAP, BI and HANA. But what if I want to get a Techno functional role?
What is the future of SAP BI and SAP ABAP? Which are the other modules for an IT background guy?

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Hi Karan,

It is good that you are already aware of the modules of SAP (Technical & Functional), if you are interested and have a inclination in technical work then the Technical Module will be good but if you prefer and like a functional module then you may pursue that too.

With regards to BI and ABAP, BI module involves importing data from different repositories/databases and generating business reports for different stakeholders of an organization, if you like working with databases and doing data modeling etc then BI is something that you would enjoy. ABAP is a field where one is required to create/update/modify T codes used in SAP. There are many people who don't have a engineering degree but still are doing good in Technical modules in SAP and non SAP related work. You can learn BI and ABAP and your degree should complement it. Remember, you should try to learn things clearly and to a greater depth if you want to stand ahead of others. Many people learn things but don't build the skills that makes someone an SME and Implementer.

Cheers,

Nagarajan Viswanathan

0 Kudos

Hello Nagarajan,

I am a fresher in SAP. I am in a big confusion to select between ABAP and PI modules.I dont know anything about ABAP and PI.  I am very much intrested in coding. So could you please help me out for which module is appropriate for me in SAP.

I hope that you would help me in this.

Thank you

0 Kudos

Hi Mr Nagarajan

Myself Syed  having more than 3 yrs experience as a Demand planner for spare parts & working in  SAP MM as an end user in a home appliance manufacturing MNC.

Now i want to do something more than an end user and want to make career in it.

Basically i use SAP MM & BI in some extent. i do not have knowledge of programming but i am interested in it.

So which would be best for me technical module like ABAP, BASIC, BW

or

functional module like SAP MM or CRM

or

HANA

Please help

thanks in advance

Syed

0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

0 Kudos

Hi ,

I Am B-Tech (EEE) in2008,I Have 4 years Exp in Manufacturing and production as Quality Control Engineer ,I Completed Mba in Project Mgmt, have 1 Year Exp in Tata Communications as Zonal manager.Looking for best SAP module ,Could you suggest which one is best to me..

I hope that you will help me..

Manikanta

0 Kudos

Hi everyone, I am Ratul Bose,just reading through the conversations, really helped everyone I guess. I course of my thinking, I have some questions if you could let me know the probable situation.

I have completed my bachelor's degree in commerce bcom and currently pursuing mba. Also I am working in TCS bpo for accounts payable which includes vendor management and other stuff. I have thought of shifting my career to IT if I can get certified in any Sap modules. So just wanted to know which module in sap would be suitable for me.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Just a quick tip for you, if you have interest in Coding and all, just close your eyes and try for SAP ABAP.

otherwise all MM,SD have good scope in market

SAP is not a rocket science so you can learn it easily.. Just do remember one thing

"Expert in anything was once a beginner"

All the Best.

BR

ChanS..

0 Kudos

Hi Chandra,

Many thanks for the information, it was really helpful.

I am not good in coding and so I would like to go for bit techno-functional modules and also the module should have good scope in getting me a job, as I am in very crucial stage in getting a job.

So could you please let me whether BI or BODS or any other module to start with?

Thank you

sathish

0 Kudos

I thing you are new to all technology, Means MM,SD, BI , BODS. So its hardly matters you to learn any of module. So its better you try for MM.

One quick question for you : Have you read anything about what is SD module, MM module or BI module or other module. ?

0 Kudos

Hi Cnandra,

Many thanks for your reply.

I am going through BI module basic information and it seems to be okay for me to learn.

But I am really expecting a module which is very highly demand in the market to get a job and I am highly motivated to learn new technologies and I am ready to spend more time in learning.

So I am just looking for a best module.

If you could suggest me, that would be very helpful for me at this time.

Regards

Sathish

0 Kudos

As per best module or part of SAP, Now a days SAP two things are very popular.. UI5 and SAP HANA..

As i saw you are looking for BI.. Its also very good module. You can go for it..

See MM,SD,FI..

MM(Martial management ).. Anything  came to your company will be come in this.

SD(Sales and distribution ).. Anything you sold out will come under this.

FI(Financial Accounting) .. Anything related to Money etc will come in this..

without MM you can't do SD and FI..

So now you can understand all are related to each other and all are equally important

BR

ChanS..

0 Kudos

Hi Chandra,

This is dipanjan and was going through the comments on Sathish's  topic, I am also having a short of similar situation,

Planning to shift my career in SAP, however no able to decide which module to choose, I am a B.Tech (IT) and MBA with System, and working as a data analyst in Bangalore, with a 5 years of total experience (3 years in data analysis and 2 years in technical support)

After doing a little bit research on the internet, it seems BI is the suitable module for me, however when I look into the current BI opening in the Job market, it is not that much and above all most of the company are looking for a person with average 4 to 5 years of experience, and 2-3 implementation involvement, which is making me little sceptaicale about my chance in getting into a BI Job after completing a training from a unauthorized center (as training cost in authorized center is sky high for me).

Looking into all this situation which will be the bset choice for me if any onc can suggest.

Rgards

dipanjan

0 Kudos

Hello Dipanjan,

Its good that you want to come to SAP. I liked it. But i want to tell some facts.. 1st thing as i saw that you are not technical background employee for SAP,some companies will consider your relevant experience  as zero. So this can be a challenge for you in Salary.

Still you want to come in SAP. Then as you can read my comment related to MM,SD,FI..

i would suggest you to learn either ABAP(this is pure coding base thing, if you have interest in coding ) or go for MM,SD,FI any one module.

BR

ChanS.

p.s.: do one thing just read a small description of MM,SD,FI,BI on google and make a decision.

0 Kudos

Hi Chandra,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I have gone through the module details of BI and ABAP also, now looking into both of them they are completely diffrent , and I am comfortable with coding.

Now with respect to one of your comment I have few query.

• In BI module it deals with reporting and in that case will my data analysis experisence get count as a domain experience.
  • And for ABAP I will be complete freshers in the job market, so considering that fact will it be difficult for me to get a job, as I already have 5 years of experience in data analysis .

Regards

dipanjan

0 Kudos

Yes, BI and all some how related to data analysis not 100% but some part. So Finally you are going for BI..

0 Kudos

Hi Chandra,

Thank you for the reply.

/

Do BI has demand in the job market? Some say that BI is gonna be out of market soon, IS it true?

Thank you

Sathish

0 Kudos

Frankly speaking i don't know much about BI.. But yes MM,SD,FI all have good demand in market

0 Kudos

Hello Chandra,

Can you please suggest me which training institute will be good for SAP ABAP in Banglore.

Thanks,

Sanjukta

0 Kudos

For this i can't say anything, try with any SAP authorized institute.. For more please read the following blog..

If you want to learn SAP ABAP online by self..

Here...

0 Kudos

Hi,

What about SAP HR Payroll? Does it have scope?

0 Kudos

Dear Chandra,

I am belonging to Supply Chain Management(Purchase, Sales & Inventory) back ground in proprietorship organisation. Right now I am working in some other ERP which is a product of TCS. I am working on ERP implementation. Kindly suggest me the appropriate SAP module for me. 

0 Kudos

Ansuman,

Ask your question in a new thread. This way you will get much more visibility and replies.

SAP MM which deals with procurement, inventory etc.

TW

former_member182339
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sathish,

Explore more of functional modules like SD, MM and FICO i would say. SAP you can pretty much learn anything which you like it depends how much time you will be dedicating towards this and preparation for certification.

Good luck

Cheers

Hrusikesh

0 Kudos

Hi Hrusikesh,

Many thanks for the reply.

I am really a hard worker and dedicate to learn new stuff and I will spend lot of time in preparing for this SAP.

But the only thing is the module I am gonna select should have good scope in the job market and should have good opportunities in getting job.

So could you please let me know whether Bi or BODS or any other module is good?

Thank you

sathish

0 Kudos

I would say BI to start with Sathish!!!

Cheers

Hrusikesh

0 Kudos

Hi Hrusikesh,

Many thanks for the reply.

That's what I thought as well (BI). Could you please let me know how is the job market for BI.?

And also some say that BODS is the advanced version of BI, SO they suggest me to take BODS. But to be honest I am really afraid to select BODS as this is new to the market and how the demand will be future. So could you please suggest me on this as well.

Thank you

Sathish

0 Kudos

0 Kudos

Dear All

Im syed i have 18 years experience in sales & marketing Acd. Quali. B.com, some diploma course in computer  & MBA n i have plan to change my career to SAP SD.

so,pls advice its correct decision or wrong.

thanks

Syed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am working on Axway gateway exchange and have a total of 2yrs IT experience.I want to do a SAP course but do not know which one would be beneficial. I want to go for any functional module. So, I want to know what module I should choose and will it be useful?? Will I be able to get a job if I decide to switch??? PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sathish,

Start with SAP BI ( I am advising you to learn ABAP also ) then learn reporting interfaces like SAP Business Objects and then SAP HANA.

Now you are on the way to SAP sky. Fly High

Always,

Arun

0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

Go for ABAP first later you can change to any other module, until SAP is there ABAP will be there

0 Kudos

Logic

0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I am from Software Testing background having 3 years of experience. I'm planning to switch from this technology to SAP as I'm not comfortable with coding.

Please suggest whether its a good idea to come to SAP with no basic knowledge on SAP.

Please let me know the modules which have good scope for job opportunities and long time career so that I can take external training for those modules.

And also, will I be able to get job after taking external training in SAP with 3 years of experience in other domain which is not useful for SAP.

Please help me on this.

Regards,

Rajesh

0 Kudos

Hello Rajesh,

If you are not getting solution for your query in the all existing thread then be kind to create a new thread for the same.