cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tomcat 6 (BI 4.0) : WARNING: Problem with directory

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I installed SAP BI 4.0 on Windows 2008 R2 Machine with SQL server. It was installed one one directory (E:\BO4 ). Later dues to some reason I uninstalled it and re-installed. To avoid issues, I installed this time under directory E:\BO41. Now after installed I could not get tomcat started. when checked the log, It was showing below warning. I observed that even though I insatlled in different directory, it is still trying to find libraries from old path. Therefore not starting

2013-09-09 11:30:22 Commons Daemon procrun stderr initialized

Sep 9, 2013 11:30:22 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory validateFile

WARNING: Problem with directory [E:\BO4\SAP BusinessObjects\Tomcat6\lib], exists: [false], isDirectory: [false], canRead: [false]

Sep 9, 2013 11:30:23 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory validateFile

WARNING: Problem with directory [E:\BO4\SAP BusinessObjects\Tomcat6\lib], exists: [false], isDirectory: [false], canRead: [false]

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:216)

at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:391)

I checked

1) Path env variable. This does not have any links to old directory

2)  JAVA_HOME, JRE_HOME, these are not explicitly created but those are getting set correctly Runtime. and those are correct.

I cannot find out where exactly it is hard coding the path and how I can get tomcat to read current/new path.

any quick responses will be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just recently had this problem and my solution was in the error path "SAP BusinessObjects" is what is was looking for and when I created my install folder I added "SAP Business Objects" (with a space) I just uninstalled and during setup recreated the new folder with SAP BusinessObjects and tomcat6 booted.

Problem. Solved. at least for me.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mandar,

I'm assuming you installed Tomcat with BusinessObjects 4.0. In either case, have you checked the registry to verify that the install path is looking at the right directory? If this is correct, go into your Tomcat installation directory, go to the 'bin' directory, open up the Tomcat6w.exe file, and ensure that the Logging, Java, Startup, & Shutdown tabs are pointing to the appropriate directories. It might still be looking at the old directory, not the new one.

Hopefully this solves your problem. If not, please post up your findings from the two posts. Thanks,

-Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Victor,

Thank you for response.

I checked all bat files. Those are taking path's from Environment variables Or run time Set. I ran those script manually and it shows correct directories. Changing registry is not recommended. BO should change reg values automatically.

To resolve it I uninstall and installed in old directory (after cleaning it up). And it worked. Still root cause is unknown.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Mandar,

Registry keys sometimes need to be changed. Since my time with BusinessObjects, sometimes it's the only way to fix a problem. As such, even if you don't change the registry keys, verify that after the uninstall and install in the new directory (IE: E:\BO41), the registry values are changed. If they're still there, then something isn't telling the application to change the setting, and it's continuing to utilize the old configuration.

Of which, are you cleaning up everything after the uninstall, this includes the folder structure with the BI 4.0 install & registry keys? If things are left lingering around, it could create future unknown issues. I'm still assuming you're installing the Tomcat bundle with BI 4.0, is this correct? If it is, try installing BusinessObjects, by itself, and then installing the stand alone version of Tomcat 6. I prefer to do it this way because upgrading the Tomcat application will become a lot easier than if it's installed bundled with the BI 4.0 application.

To be honest, I had a lot of issues with installing the bundled version of Tomcat with BusinessObjects. Since that time, I will always install the stand alone version of Tomcat and deploy the web applications to the Tomcat manually thereafter. To me, it seems the cleanest and the most relible way to deploy those applications.

Hopefully this adds more to it. If you still have an issue, please report back on your findings. Thanks,

-Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you check Tomcat Configuration properties?