cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI 4.0 Latency Time ( 9 Minutes to start CMS.exe)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have issue with after start SIA, it takes 7-9 minutes to start CMS.exe completely. I can see in task manager that CMS.exe is running but it very less memory, 12-15 MB, (When I tried to connect from CMC / Launch Pad, I can not connect.) Till this time I cannot see any port (i.e. 6400) running.

After 7-9 minutes once it reaches to 200+MB (In task manager), I can see ports started opening. and then I can login. Even in Event Viewer there is no entry for 9 minutes. Of course it is related to delay from CCM to database (Oracle). But when we checked with DBA's they comes back saying DB is fine. Even from client we cannot see any latency. It is through SAP BI. And I am not able to find where exactly issue is. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member202789
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

To troubleshoot this network latency issue, you may also install a DB on BO server e.g. MS SQL Server and create a test SIA to check the startup performance.

CMS taking 3 minutes to come up after SIA has started is very normal, but CMS taking 7-9 minutes is little on the higher side. ------ Apply CMS trace & Querytiming.

1207172 - How to log the queries that are sent to the Central
Management Server

Regards,

Animesh Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Animish Kumar

i already tried it. with sql server on local it takes less than a minute to start everything.

former_member202789
Contributor
0 Kudos

So the next thing that
you should try is to compare the CMS logs.

1: Generate CMS trace with Local MS SQL Server DB Repository

2: Generate CMS trace with remote Oracle DB Repository

3: Try and compare the two (using GLF viewer, notepad ++ etc.)
and find out the where exactly it is taking so much time e.g. making connection
to repository DB, post making connection reading the DB etc.

4: If you find any issues analyzing the log files then open a
SAP Support Message.

Regards,

Animesh Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mandar,

I just did a test, on my end, to see if I can produce the same results. This is what I've got:

From SIA start to DB connection - 17 seconds

From SIA start to CMS startup - ~3 minutes

From SIA start to complete start - ~10 minutes

In doing this, looking at your issues, I would peg this up as a resource issue. I'm not sure if you've split up the APS or not (As I've only split up into 4 different segments, considering I'm only running with 8GB of memory), but that can help improve performance.

The shops that I've been apart of, getting Wireshark installed is basically near impossible. Thus, I've never gotten a chance to see exactly what information is pulled from the database to the BI app server. For me, I'm a stickler to knowing every little nuisance about the application, it helps me get a better overall understanding of the application, and where to best look for information.

As such, if you're shop is more lax than the ones I've been, and am, apart of, I'd suggest trying to do 3 different things. Either install Wireshark on the BI app server and see if anything of use is displayed within it, as far as latency goes. I would also recommend working with the network folks, so they can monitor the various devices between the BI app server and database. There might be a latency problem between those two that are unforeseen, unless you have direct access to those hardware.

If nothing comes out of that, try to split the APS, if you haven't done so, and/or increase the amount of memory that's currently on the server itself. From there, allocate that extra memory to the various services to help improve performance.

If the problem still persists, please post up your findings for the above and I'll continue to give you a hand. Thanks,

-Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Victor,

Thank you for quick response. (and sorry for late response )

I will try to get Wireshark installed to get this corrected. Memory wise it is actually more than required. (24 GB). When I tried to ping DB (On which Repo is there) Server from existing 4.0 then I got 20 ms response. and when I do the same thing from other BO (3.1 Server) to DB Server I got the same 20 ms.  So both are same. So I cannot prove if it really network.

My main question is, if if it network issue then it should be slow in using it. But after it starts it is just fine. No slowness. Why delay in start only?

I will install Wireshark and keep results ported?

Former Member
0 Kudos

A telnet to the port of CMS Db could help.

Use the end - to end trace available to fetch the most usefull results.

http://scn.sap.com/community/bi-platform/remote-supportability/blog/2012/11/06/how-to-generate-and-c...

The link above would help a lot to enable this tracing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Agreed with Victor.

I have noticed the same issue with one of the BO environment which was having only 16 GB RAM. Once we increased the RAM and CORE & APS sizing, CMS start up time got reduced.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mandar,

That's a good sign then. Also, it'll make diagnosing the issue a lot easier, if the network isn't the issue.

Since you have 24GB of memory on the server, I'm curious to know if you've split the APS into multiple, more managable services and allocated the appropriate resources to it, based upon expected load on them? If not, try doing that and see if that helps improve performance.

If you do have it split, ensure that the resources are allocated appropriately as well. It may just be that the services needs more memory in order to start up properly.

Please let me know your findings and and I'll be glad to continue to help. Thanks,

-Victor