cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

voluntary creating discussions instead of blogs / documents in coffee corner?

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What's your opinion on creating voluntary discussions, which are not marked as question, in the coffe corner instead of creating blogs and documents, until this place is again points free?

Somehow this coffee has a bitter points taste in moment, especially if wide spread poems are copied from facebook or any other side and posted here as blogs which immediatly makes the poster 10 point richer for no effort.

it is so easy, just click create discussion and remove the default tick in front of "Mark this discussion a question".

you still can earn 2 points with a  LIKE, but  the coffee will certainly taste better

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I presume those people doing this for the points will not voluntarily change to earning no points, so what you're asking is for those of us that care to stop earning points here while everyone else carries on. Did I get that right?

I'd rather live without the Coffee Corner. It has no value at the moment anyway - what genuine content there is is lost in a sea of poetry and other nonsense. I'm temped to suggest that we just delete it, lose all the points earned in here, and re-create it when it is possible to do that as a points free space.

Laure's suggestion of locking it until that time would save the content, but at this point I think getting rid of the unjustified points is more important. If we're going to have a points system it should be a meaningful one, and that means getting rid of points that have been acquired by inappropriate means.

Or maybe the "PAIN" blog from this morning (thankfully now gone) has pushed me over the edge and I'm overreacting?

Steve.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nooooo! Please don't delete all the content here! oO There had been some great discussions here, that led to other discussions or ideas and it would IMO really be a shame, if that stuff was gone. You can bring back cool blogs and ask questions again, yes. But the discussions, that spread from those, can't be re-done.

I'd love to see a sub-space here for the poetry, so that other content can be found again in the Coffee Corner without skipping through some pages.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree there's content here worth saving. I'm just frustrated by the whole business.

Steve.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I know. We all are.

: Is there a function for moderators or above to merge blogs/threads? Maybe this would be a way to kind of put all of the same here into one blog/thread to declutter the area a bit.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Steffi Warnecke, I dont know any option to merge. I dont think that this could be achieved because you would transfer the ownership from one user to another one.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hmm, okay. I know functions like this from private forums, so I thought, it could be possible here, too.

Of course, the owner for the post itself wouldn't change (at least it didn't with the other software), they are just mashed together in one thread, sorted by the timeline. That would come in handy in a space like the Coffee Corner.

I like FFs idea with deactivating the unwanted content types, though I'm not sure that is possible for just one space when deactivating the points for just one space isn't possible either.

Answers (14)

Answers (14)

Former Member
0 Kudos

if I accidentally deleted my old blog posts is there a way I can recover them?

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have a look into the existing thread

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Two very enthusiastic thumbs up from me too. I was actually going to ask if it was possible to disable blogs/documents (at least until this is sorted out), but FF beat me to it.

BenedictV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I thought of asking you to create an idea in the Idea Place. But then, I just did,

https://ideas.sap.com/ct/ct_list.bix?c=8A060447-ED55-41EB-905E-C077161D66AC

Regards,

Benedict

Astrid_Gambill
Contributor
0 Kudos

voted up

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I totally agree with .

Getting points by posting blogs at Coffee Corner doesn't make sense actually. I am fully supported with starting a discussion (as not a question) rather than creating or posting a blog over here.

Rgrds,

Jitendra

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Completely irrelevant if you ask me, Jürgen. The points system is worse than before the Jive-disaster and why would one care about people getting points for irrelevant babbling in the coffee corner if there are still 500 other sub-forums where people open blogs with delicious copy-pasta earning a billion points via likes while other people who contribute in discussions provide exclusive knowledge one could earn money with and don't even get a single point.

Your idea isn't bad, but only for end-users that are willing to cushion the blow of this broken platform and I'm not one of them.

SCN Needs more mods with more powers to regulate the reputation system or alternatively just rename it into SFC --> SAP Facebook Community.

Oh yes, by the way:

I agree with you Jürgen. After some days the value of points a person has in SCN will not be considerable to make a decision that he is technically good .

It never was.

%"§/$§"/&§"$%!

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No opinion from the poets?

I did not start this discussion to build a wall within the coffee corner to separate Espresso drinkers from Cappuccino fans.

Contrary, I would like to hear each voice and opinion  for a mutual cooperation.

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Interesting thread

Is it possible to place moderation on the blog/document features of this space requiring moderator approval?

My opinion, poems have their place...but I don't come to a technical community to find them, and if I click on one due to a clever title I don't even bother reading it and close the tab. 

Another thought, if the posters of the poem bloggers are not citing the poem is this not a form of plagiarism?  I went through 5 years of difficulties with different instructors for both my degrees, some so strict that I lose numerous points on papers for not doing in-line citations (as I find it easier to write my own thoughts, then finding examples and then citing).

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's a problem I have with a lot of the poems and stories posted: the thoughts of the user that posts it here is missing, so it's really just copy & paste without information WHY this was worth sharing it or what the thoughts of the poster in this are.

And even more so... in so many cases it looks like it was an original idea by the poster and then later in the comments it's revealed, that it's someone elses. I think, not mentioning the source of the content is even the worst part.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's right. Copying and pasting someone else's original content without clear and specific attribution to the author and direct link to the original location is plagiarism or copyright violation, even when well-intended. Even with attribution and linking, it should not be done without express permission of the content owner (which is sometimes given implicitly with the inclusion of a "reblog" button, a la Wordpress, but otherwise must be sought).

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's a good idea. But I agree with the other posters here that it would only affect those that don't really do it any way to begin with.

I don't know if it is possible but maybe Laure can look into if Blogs and Documents can be turned off for the coffee corner and only Discussions created.  (no deleting existing stuff)

If only discussions can be created, then if someone posts a discussion as a question, it can be reported for abuse.

Maybe it would even be possible to set the default to "Not a question" when discussions are created here in the coffee corner.

FF

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I agree with you Jürgen. After some days the value of points a person has in SCN will not be considerable to make a decision that he is technically good .

- Midhun VP

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Very good idea Jürgen!

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I remember I read a headline about pain this morning

I remember that I clicked abuse on a blog which had just 1 line, which is a typical not-a-blog

I do not remember if that was the pain blog, but it was enough pain to see such one-liner

Oh Paulo Carvalho, I was just typing the same, when your idea came in . I had in mind to give the blog badges a brown color if the points were only made with blogs in the coffee corner.

I do not want to restrict poetry, don't get me wrong, if this a tradition in some coffee corners in the world then it is okay for me. And if those posters are not doing it for points, then I am confident that they create a non-question-discussion tomorrow.

.... or it may happen what happens to Cacofonix in each Asterix comic

Scott Raines , yes I  actually care, I think it is not fair against the others who invest hours into a good blog or document. Just because "anything goes" in the coffee corner, it should not be misused to mainly make the points here. The vast majority of users cannot differentiate where the people made the points, if they hover with the mouse over the name, they just see points and badges, but do not get any idea if that is for poetry in the coffee corner or for SAP related content.  And it is unfair against the freshers who post valid and right answers, but others with higher points is trusted more even they had a misleading answer.

If you lookup some reputations then you can see that one made all his points by adding a "thank you" to hundred of blogs and documents, and was paid with with a like for that.

S0016143308
Participant
0 Kudos

I don't disagree. The coffee corner doesn't need points, in my opinion, but the problem isn't with the coffee corner, it's with those people who choose to abuse the system. If there are people chronically abusing coffee corner for "free" points, then it's likely even after we take the points away from this area that they will find another way to cheat the system for points.

Do we have a way to report/moderate/suspend accounts for these users that are intentionally gaming the gamification?

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We cannot inflict a penalty for something which is not explicitly forbidden.

Plagiarism is mentioned in the forum rules, this can be treated.  Posting questions as blogs as well. Point cheating is mentioned there too, but it is harder to justify, maybe 80% of total points made here could be used as justification, worth a thought...

But in general in the coffee corner it is allowed to sing  and dance you only should make sure that the coffee doesn't spill someones dress who is just there for talking.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's an interesting idea. If the SCN team are able to do that analysis it would provide some hard evidence for how big a problem this really is.

Steve.

RafkeMagic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

aren't they investing in fraud detection 😉

this would be a perfect "test" case then...

S0016143308
Participant
0 Kudos

I'm not nearly as active as many of you here so maybe it doesn't bother me as much. I don't see it as a problem. Quickly scanning through the blog posts, many of these copy/paste jobs actually get a lot of views, good feedback and a lot of comments.

Isn't this what a "coffee corner" is intended for?

Are these people really scamming the system for "free" points? Do we care?

Someone who posts a bunch of useless blogs for free points still won't be a respected community member.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Create a "coffee badge" couldn't be an option? 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great Idea . Then nobody will take a Coffee Break

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't think you're overreacting at all

I'm glad I missed the PAIN post

Astrid_Gambill
Contributor
0 Kudos

Surprised I am the first to respond.  Sounds like a good idea.