cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to increase r3trans parallel processes after ehp upgrade has started?

former_member197700
Participant
0 Kudos

We are updating to EHP7 for SAP ERP 6.0 and I left the defaults for number of parallel R3trans processes in the preparation phases.  That was a mistake because SHD_IMPORT_INC is going to run for 5 days at this rate.  I want to interrupt the phase and resume with a maximum of 8 parallel processes.    Where do I set that I want 8 parallel processes?  SHDALLIMP.TPP only shows dynamic parameters.

Warm Regards,

CM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

You can modify these parameters using SAPup tool.

/Upgrade_Directory/bin/SAPup set stdpar

Regards

RB

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member197700
Participant
0 Kudos

The solution below from the SUM guide worked great in phase TABIM_UPG.  No need to stop the update.

cd <update directory>\abap\bin

SAPup set procpar gt=scroll

Set the parameters you want.   Check SAPUpConsole.log  and the next import group to run will use the new parameters:

SAPUpConsole.log

Before:  -Dmainimp_proc=2 -Dparallel=3

After:    -Dmainimp_proc=2 -Dparallel=6

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

I think that you should have a read of this note how is the parallelism happening.

1616401  - Understanding parallelism during the Upgrades, EhPs and Support Packages implementations

For the R3trans. Can you please check this file .

Directory. /<upgrade directory>/SUM/abap/bin

File name : TPPARAM

#

mainimp_proc    = 2

parallel        = 4

I have never tried to change it so not aware of the issue it can lead.

Parameter "parallel = n" can be set. "n" means the maximal number of parallel import processes for one transport request.

The following conditions have an impact on the performance gains:

number of CPUs of the application server where the import is running;

capabilities of the database to handle many parallel processes;

location of the database server (if database and import are running on the same server, they will share their resources, eg. CPU power);

I/O performance (because parallel import processes read the same data file and write their logs into the same directory);

number of objects in the transport requests (for small transport requests, R3trans will switch off parallelity automatically).

Therefore SAP is not able to suggest the ideal value for 'n'. Instead, SAP recommend to start importing with "parallel=2", and to increase this number by and by until the performance gains stagnate.

Please be aware that this parallel import was mainly designed for use in the support package import and enhancement package installation. But it works for customer transports too. More details about acceleratinbg customer transports can be found in note 1223360

Comments from note: Note 1127194 - R3trans import with parallel processes

Thanks

Rishi Abrol