cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with the support of certain characters unicode in Crystal Reports

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Crystal Reports seems to have problems in the treatment of the following characters unicode: ethiopic Digits & Numbers u+1369… u+137c.

As soon as one of these characters appears in the viewing of a Formula Field with Format>Paragraph>Text interpretation positioned with “RTF” or “HTML”, the component CrystalReportViewer posts the following dialog box

(Failure of the Report Application Server)

Any help would be appreciated…
Regards,
Claude

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What version of CR are you using?

Any CR Service Packs applied?

What version of CR was the report created in?

What version of .NET are you using?

What OS?

Looking at this blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/michkap/archive/2005/02/01/364376.aspx

I note that support for ethiopic Digits would not be supported until VS 2005 at the earliest:

As such, the update will not be seen in Windows until Longhorn or in the .NET Framework until the version after Whidbey.

So, if you're using .NET 2005 or later the point is probably moot..., but my other questions do need to be answered.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for the lack of precision of the question.

The environment of development is :

OS Windows 7 Professional 32bit SP1

VS Visual Studio 2010 version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel

.NET Framework 4 version 4.0.30319

CR SAP Crystal Reports, version for Microsoft Visual Studio version 13.0.6.1027

Claude

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

NP and apologies as more questions are coming:

1) Is this happening on your development computer?

2) Would you be able to attach a saved data report here?

3) I've googled for the font, but there is a  number of places to download from. Do you have a preference where I'd download the font from?

To upload a report, rename it to .txt. Then click on the "Use advanced editor" link and upload. The upload will automatically zip up the file for us.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

In attachment, a zip file containing :

1) The font used : nyala.ttf.

2) Definitions of the reports which pose problem : Concord_Fo_19p_RTF & Concord_Fo_19p_HTML cause failure.

3) A sample VS2010 project which tries to display the character "U+1369 - Digit One" and the character preceding in the unicode ethiopic page "U+1368 - Paragraph Separator" :

ethiopic_none : interpretation of the formula field is set to 'NONE', display is ok for the two characters.

ethiopic_rtf_ok, ethiopic_rtf_ko : interpretation of the formula field is set to 'RTF', display is ok for the paragraph separator character, failure for the digit one character.

ethiopic_html_ok, ethiopic_html_OK2 : interpretation of the formula field is set to 'HTML', display is ok for the paragraph separator character AND for the digit one character ! (hum, wouldn't the problem be related to the codes points of the characters?).

Thank you for your assistance.

Claude

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Claude

As phone incident do get precedence, I'll see if I can get to testing this sometime this week.

- Ludek

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hmm - well, I downloaded the file. Unzipped and figured I will not have the font so right click and hit "install". And I was told that I already have the font installed:

OK. So I stop the install and run your exe. No problems at all:

Now, I could install your font, but before I do, maybe it will be better to know where your font came from? I suspect mine came as simply an OS default install from IT. Only reason I ask is that I have encountered issues with fonts downloaded from some sites (calibri was my most recent case - a download from one site was good, from another it caused issues...).

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Right click on the file gives the window of properties

Some extra informations on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyala_%28typeface%29

The font can be downloaded on http://fontzone.net/font-details/nyala

Claude

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Claude

I'm not sure what I will be looking for? It may be a font created by a different author, but bottom line is, the font installed by Windows as default works.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek,

Allow me to request last once your assistance. I attached a simple vs2010 project trying to display the character unicode U+1369 (Ethiopic Digit One) with the standard font Arial Unicode MS. In the Crystal report, display is made in a Formula Field with Format Object > Paragraph > Text Interpretation = "RTF Text".

Can you ensure me that display is done correctly. In my environment, display of the report ends with a "Report Application Server Failure".

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Claude

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Claude

Thank you for the apps and reports. I can finally see the issue. I will create a fix escalation for this and update this Discussion with the tracking number (when I get it) as well as any updates, etc.

Please note that the earliest this will be fixed would be in Service Pack 8 - ETA: 1st quarter 2014.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ludek

Thank you for your perseverance and effectiveness of your intervention.

Best regards,

Claude.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
  • The issue has been escalated for a fix 
  • Reference ADAPT01708183 
  • ETA: Service Pack 8 (1st quarter 2014)

- Ludek

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The issue has been resolved in SP 9 for CRVS.

KBA: 1922590 - Error: The Report Application Server failed. Using Nyala font

- Ludek