cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Try to PGI to return goods to vendor on QM-managed material

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have question which is an cross interfacing between QM and WM.

When a shipment reach our warehouse dock, warehouse guys perform the GR and the goods stay the GR-AREA (WM's interim storage type 902), and an inspection lot generated, and the goods become QM's QI stock type quantity

Next, a result recording and usage decision for the inspected goods was failed and, therefore, was rejected.

Our warehouse guy decided to return the QA-failed shipment back to the supplier.

These goods continue stay in the GR-Area with stock category of QI (i.e. QM's QI) after posting the usage decision by the warehouse guy in the SAP system.

Next, here come my question:

1. Does the QM folk can initiate the vendor return from their QM module side? if possible, how to perform this in QM? I try to use the notification, however, the "return to vendor" link on the left panel not able to activate (i.e. when try click the icon but there is no response). Any clue?
  2. Given that I cannot perform the return to vendor via notification, I create a return PO (i.e. return flag checked). Next, an outbound delivery create, and a transfer order is created for this outbound delivery for picking. However, when trying to perform the PGI to return the goods to the vendor, I hits the following error message that goes "Change the inspection stock of material J-18338-67 in QM only". Apparently the message saying I cannot in and out of the QM-relevant stock material, and it has to perform via QM. How to resolve this?
  3. When a QM-managed material want to return back to vendor, can we perform the return from MM-IM level, instead of QM. If need QM, how to perform the vendor return in WM environment?

Regards,
Daniel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The QM folks should be posting the failed material out of QI and usually into blocked stock. 

In the inspection lot, during the UD process, they have the opportunity to post it as a return to vendor but this should be used only when inspection is done before the material is actually unloaded and you decide to not accept and unload the shipment.

If the shipment is unloaded and it takes a day or two until inspection is complete, then QM usually posts the material to blocked stock if it fails.  They can create a notification for this and the return delivery should be able to be generated from the notification.  The notification should be created from within the inspection lot so there are references back to the purchase and to the inspection lot.

You should first find out where they actually posted the material. It normally is not left in QI stock.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi fighter,

thanks for the wisdom you recommend on the QM process, however, can you response my's bolded questions?

Thanks

Daniel

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I kind of thought I did.

Does the QM folk can initiate the vendor return from their QM module side? if possible, how to perform this in QM? I try to use the notification, however, the "return to vendor" link on the left panel not able to activate (i.e. when try click the icon but there is no response). Any clue?

No.  QM folks usually do not initiate the vendor return.  They usually post the material out to blocked stock and if the business uses notifications, they create a notification while in the inspection lot.  The notification can than be used to return the material.  But the notification, once created, would usually be processed by people other then QM.  Maybe purchasing, maybe a planner, maybe a finance person.  It depends on how the business processes returns, the material involved, the cost involved, if the material can be used at all, etc..

No clue why your return to vendor link is not activated.  Probably because the stock is not available in blocked stock to perform the return.  I believe this action requires the stock to be there before it is active.  But it's been a long time since I've worked on that specifically so I might be dreaming it.

Given that I cannot perform the return to vendor via notification, I create a return PO (i.e. return flag checked). Next, an outbound delivery create, and a transfer order is created for this outbound delivery for picking. However, when trying to perform the PGI to return the goods to the vendor, I hits the following error message that goes "Change the inspection stock of material J-18338-67 in QM only". Apparently the message saying I cannot in and out of the QM-relevant stock material, and it has to perform via QM. How to resolve this?

As long at the stock is in QI stock, no one can do anything with it.  It doesn't matter what you create, save, do, change, process, etc...  As long as quality doesn't post the stock out of QI you are dead in water.  Nothing you did is really wrong.  But as you see in the last step, you need the stock out of QI.

When a QM-managed material want to return back to vendor, can we perform the return from MM-IM level, instead of QM. If need QM, how to perform the vendor return in WM environment?

As already stated, to process the return, the material must be out of QI. 

FF

Answers (0)